PDA

View Full Version : Sluggishness

c70mel
Friday 10th February 2006, 22:58
Hey all,

Well I think this is my first possible problem/question with my first Volvo. Lets hope it aint a big one!

I have a 1999 C70 2.4 with the front brake discs needing changing. Was driving the other night all felt fine..... car running nicely. Then all of a sudden I applyed the brakes and as I was coming to a stop there was a dragging feeling. Felt just like a front tyre was running flat and giving extra drag so got out to check the tyres and all were fine. Pulling off from standing still as well felt like a drag and more effort was/is needed.

Drove for a couple of days and again the car was running fine with no unusual sluggishness. Until tonight when it came back again. I had a quick look at the front tyres when I got back thinkin one of the tyres were flat again but there fine. However the front left alloy was very hot! compared to the right alloy anyway. It also smelt a bit too.

Does this ring a bell with anyone? or possibly the discs just need changing and cause these symptons when worn down?

Cheers for any info!

Mel

Tomcat
Friday 10th February 2006, 23:07
sounds like one of your brakes is binding, i.e. its applying but not releasing fully when you take your foot off the brake, hence the wheels getting really hot. your caliper probably needs cleaning out/replacing.

mraldonnelly
Saturday 11th February 2006, 10:14
Hi Mel,

As Tomcat says, you've probably got a sticking caliper. You need to sort it out as soon as possible (but I guess you knew that).

If you go down the new route as opposed to trying to repair it, you'll need to pay a surcharge which will be refunded when you return the one you tke off the car.

Where are you? If you're close to Liverpool I may be able to help so you can avoid having to pay for labour.

Regards

Andy

glock19
Saturday 11th February 2006, 12:50
Just a thought, do you have TRACS ? It's linked to the wheel sensors and ABS module. Off hand the main culprit could be siezed caliper pistons but they don't occur on/off, usually consistently while electronics could be a gremlin here once in a while. ....My 2 cents.

racer
Saturday 11th February 2006, 16:10
My last one did this. It was intermittent too. First noticed it pulling to one side on motorway, got home, hot right disk. Was in a hurry, so gave the caliper a light tap with a hammer and it ran OK for two more days. Did it again on the Friday night, stripped it down on Saturday, found it was the caliper slides sticking. Cleaned them, re-greased them and it was fine after that.
Hope this helps, does sound like the same thing.

SaffronC70
Saturday 11th February 2006, 16:26
Could just try a simple bleed first - make sure no air is trapped.

Cheap n simple option together with Racer's advice.

Chris

Titch
Saturday 11th February 2006, 16:46
Alright there, i had the very same problem only about three weeks ago and i tried regreasing the calliper as mentioned before but the problem returned the next day. i changed the calliper while i was doing the discs and pads and its been perfect since.

c70mel
Saturday 11th February 2006, 19:24
Andy, Thanks very much for the offer but im not really into doing the mechanical side of things myself (unfortunately). Will see what the garage says about it.

I dont think I have TRACS, its not a GT model or owt.

I think the priority is to get the discs and pads changed and also get the mechanic to just re-grease the caliper sides as mentioned. Then see how it goes. Annoying thing about it is that it is intermittent. Most of the time its fine then other times you can really tell something is sticking.

Well thanks for all the info! great help as it gives me some sort of idea of what it could be.

c70mel
Saturday 11th February 2006, 19:27
Just a thought (worry). Is this problem a case of not driving the car until I get it sorted? Whats the worst that can happen if I drive it around for a couple of days and it starts sticking again.

New calipers? wonder how much they cost *gulp*

cheers again! :)

Engineer
Saturday 11th February 2006, 19:31
Just a thought (worry). Is this problem a case of not driving the car until I get it sorted? Whats the worst that can happen if I drive it around for a couple of days and it starts sticking again.

New calipers? wonder how much they cost *gulp*

cheers again! :)
Where are you based mate?

c70mel
Saturday 11th February 2006, 19:34
Where are you based mate?

Manchester

Engineer
Saturday 11th February 2006, 19:54
Manchester
Sorry if you where local could have had a look for you, but you know where I am.

Titch's Dad
Saturday 11th February 2006, 20:17
Just to give you a rough idea how much a caliper would be, i got one for £70. remember that was for a T4 which is probably a slightly different cost to a T5 which is what im assuming you have.

If you are using a garage it should not take any longer than an hour to do so make sure they dont sting you for labour.

c70mel
Saturday 11th February 2006, 21:05
Just to give you a rough idea how much a caliper would be, i got one for £70. remember that was for a T4 which is probably a slightly different cost to a T5 which is what im assuming you have.

If you are using a garage it should not take any longer than an hour to do so make sure they dont sting you for labour.

Nope mine isn't a T5 so i persume it shoulnd't be too much more that then.

Cheers Engineer for the offer. Had a quick look the other night but to be honest dunno what im really looking for. All looks right though lol.

siamblue
Saturday 11th February 2006, 21:28
£65.63 + vat + £30 surcharge,

Gary

PM me :)

mraldonnelly
Sunday 12th February 2006, 01:30
Andy, Thanks very much for the offer but im not really into doing the mechanical side of things myself (unfortunately). Will see what the garage says about it.

I dont think I have TRACS, its not a GT model or owt.

I think the priority is to get the discs and pads changed and also get the mechanic to just re-grease the caliper sides as mentioned. Then see how it goes. Annoying thing about it is that it is intermittent. Most of the time its fine then other times you can really tell something is sticking.

Well thanks for all the info! great help as it gives me some sort of idea of what it could be.

Mel,

You don't need to be into the mechanical side of things - I'll do it for you. Where in Manchester are you? Can you get to Liverpool easily enough? Obviously if the caliper is sticking then it may be a problem but if you can get to Liverpool I can take the caliper off and re-grease the guide pins to see if that works. If not, come back with a new caliper and I'll fit it for you.

If you want discs and pads fitting then bring 'em over too and I'll do it for you.
It'll save you a bit of cash.

Regards

Andy

siamblue
Sunday 12th February 2006, 16:28
Andy you are the man, :)

Tomcat
Sunday 12th February 2006, 17:16
All Hail Andy :bow_kneel

What a top bloke eh?