PDA

View Full Version : T5 Very Expensive Repairs :-(

Guilo2k4
Thursday 9th February 2006, 22:12
Hi All ,

The rear crankshaft oil seal has gone on my 96 T5 and is gonna cost a fortune to get done.

More or less a quarter of the cost what i paid for the car, what prices have members paid to get this repair done

cheers

kev

Tomcat
Thursday 9th February 2006, 22:20
Ouch, where are you getting it done?, give VT a ring and see what they quote you.

Guilo2k4
Thursday 9th February 2006, 22:22
Hi Tomcat it was VT that quoted £500 +vat (labour lol).

Big Job on T5's - Gearbox , flywheel out etc.

Mega Bucks.

Tomcat
Thursday 9th February 2006, 22:31
Ah.... er.. yea well um...

it is a big job as they say, I think the only otherway you'll get it done cheaper is to either find a local garage willing to carry out the work or have a bash yourself. I know its not the answer your looking for but to be honest this is the only problem with owning a car like the T5, if anything serious goes wrong its usually bleedin' expensive!.

Having said this we all know that V.T. will do a proper job for you, and you wont be left with that lingering doubt as to wether they've actualy done what they say they've done.

Tomcat
Thursday 9th February 2006, 22:32
I forgot to ask, where abouts in the country are you?

Guilo2k4
Thursday 9th February 2006, 22:46
North East m8.

weasel
Thursday 9th February 2006, 23:08
just a thought, but is this something that might be cured by putting a semi synthetic oil in?

S60D5
Thursday 9th February 2006, 23:11
Hi All ,

The rear crankshaft oil seal has gone on my 96 T5 and is gonna cost a fortune to get done.

More or less a quarter of the cost what i paid for the car, what prices have members paid to get this repair done

cheers

kev

£1,916 was the biggest single repair bill to date but not for this repair!

Just pay it, no other choice!

We paid about £350 all in for the reair main oil seal back in 2002.

t5tart
Thursday 9th February 2006, 23:46
I had mine done aferw months ago with a new clutch £650

worth doing the clutch at the same time no wirries then
also do the pcv system ..

LeeT5
Friday 10th February 2006, 00:52
Hi All ,

cheers

kev

Go to main dealer, i did. They were cheaper than any1 else m8. Total cost was £485 all in. Yes it is a big job, two days.

t5tart
Friday 10th February 2006, 01:13
Go to main dealer, i did. They were cheaper than any1 else m8. Total cost was £485 all in. Yes it is a big job, two days.

what main stealer you use then
they wanted around a grand to do my rear main seal llol

LeeT5
Friday 10th February 2006, 01:36
what main stealer you use then
they wanted around a grand to do my rear main seal llol

Lipscomb Volvo, Maidstone, Kent. I got the invoice to proove it too.

r07s
Friday 10th February 2006, 09:37
Yeah i did £550 to replace the seal in 2001 at Volvo in Ferndown, Dorset.

But i bought the car knowing that this day will/might come around one day - didnt like paying, but did like knowing it was done by Volvo. I'd have the same feeling if VT did it aswell - wack it on the credit card and pay it off over a period of time??

You know shes worth it :remybussi

siamblue
Friday 10th February 2006, 13:24
Guilo look around mate, If you are prepared to travel contact DPA in Nottingham, top guy and very very good mechanic,
Is your car auot or manual?
I emailed Braydons in London for you last night, and £500 + vat is a lot,

here is their reply,

Hi Gary.

Is the car manual or auto?

If it is manual, you should consider changing the clutch at the same time. The cost of this would be in the region of £500+VAT including parts and labour.

If it is an auto, the cost would be about £380+VAT.

If you would like to book, please allow 4-5 working days

Regards

Matt
-----

Call DPA as i said, regards Gary

t5tart
Friday 10th February 2006, 15:43
so how much to replace the turbo ??

Andy
Friday 10th February 2006, 18:32
Where abouts in North East are you mate?

enrm6
Friday 10th February 2006, 19:07
Sheff and Meredith in Leicester. Last year. Rear main seal, new clutch, two new front wishbone arms, new coolant. £580 all in. So i'd be looking for quite a bit less than £500.

Guilo2k4
Friday 10th February 2006, 19:16
Cheers for all the replies mateys (much appreciated)

My mate is a mechanic and said he would do it ( should have known lol)

£300 all in with Racing Clutch too (well chuffed as long as he does proper job ha ha)

Andy im from Sunderland mate.

Cheers

Kev

bowman
Friday 10th February 2006, 19:24
I wouldnt worry about your mate doing it, its a piss easy job , just takes along time. Thats what makes it so expensive, the seal is only about £9!

Just watch the gearbox oil seals, i damaged one, but didnt find out until I re fitted the box! DOH!

Guilo2k4
Friday 10th February 2006, 19:26
OK Bowman cheers mate

I will warn him ha ha.

bowman
Friday 10th February 2006, 19:37
If you get stuck , give me a shout, mines in bits getting new engine and box, and i only live in Peterlee.

john