PDA

View Full Version : Sump Gasket Sealent...

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 9th February 2006, 21:15
I'm almost ready to start putting bits back together..(still awaitng for the fllwheel though).. and called in to my friendly Stealer to find out what to use to seal the Sump back on to the block. The nice people behind the counter bought out a nice tube of gasket sealent and smiled and said, "£85.00 please..." I said, " £%$%$^$ £$"" ££% ££$ %££ £$%....."... So I still need some sealent...

What do you reckon...
Do I need to use Volvo sealent...?
What alternatives are around.....?

Has anyone got one lying around they can send to me for a slightly lower charge......????

Tomcat
Thursday 9th February 2006, 21:20
Are they havin' a bleedin laugh???, what was on it when you removed the sump?, was there a gaskette or was it just sealant?.

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 9th February 2006, 21:36
it's metal to metal....

t5tart
Thursday 9th February 2006, 21:40
Are they havin' a bleedin laugh???, what was on it when you removed the sump?, was there a gaskette or was it just sealant?.

there is no gasket
volvo dont fdo one

my local independant when i was going to have the sump off and i was supplying the parts requested instant gasket
ie the blue locktight stuff

Tomcat
Thursday 9th February 2006, 21:58
I'd agree, all it takes is a bit of crap to get in there when your re assembling and you wont get an even seal without some form of sealant. Blue hylamar or some other form of none hardening gaskette should be ok.

t5tart
Thursday 9th February 2006, 21:58
lol

Tomcat
Thursday 9th February 2006, 22:04
Er..........eh??

iGGy
Thursday 9th February 2006, 22:08
Maybe sniffing a tube of £85 sealant? :nut:

Was contemplating the HID's, but I think other bits need doing.

t5tart
Thursday 9th February 2006, 22:14
lol @ me

maybe i should sniff some

just posted i the wrong thread

Tomcat
Thursday 9th February 2006, 22:17
I've told you before about making posts when your not drunk!, get a beer inside you man! :haha:

t5tart
Thursday 9th February 2006, 22:18
thats a very good plan

i am in need
off tothe fridge i will go

madness
Friday 10th February 2006, 12:12
they are havin' a giraffe.

madness to the rescue. pm sent

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 11th February 2006, 02:43
Many PM's recieved....but you were not answering your phone :frown:

PM replied.....

chriskay
Saturday 11th February 2006, 11:04
Was in my dealer's yesterday, looking for a large 'O' ring for a job unconnected with the car. Couldn't find an 'O' ring, but the mechanic GAVE me a nearly full tube of this gasket stuff they use on the sump. (About £60 worth at that price). Did the job I wanted fine. As far as I can tell, it's just silicone sealant & should be easily obtainable for less than a fiver.
Cheers, Chris.

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 12th February 2006, 01:29
Thanks to all....hopefully some is on it's way...