PDA

View Full Version : HID Kits

t5tart
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 02:13
ok guys
I am negotiating a discount from hids4u
using the bike company as a lever
they want to know roughly how many sets I am looking at and what types b4 they comit to a discount
I want 2 sets myself one for the t5 one for the bike

who wants what answers on a postcard please

should be able to save us a bit of money here

arryjmc
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 07:53
Me Please, H7s Any ideas on a rough price your negotiating from please.
Do they have a shop on fleEbay?
Seen um for roughly £150

mikey
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 08:56
i'd be up for a set don't know which ones i'd need for my t-5,and an idea of cost would be wicked,cheers!

t5tart
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 09:53
he hasnt given me an indication of cost yet yes he is on fleabay

I am hoping to be able to undercut his ebay prices we'll have to see what he sats when he comes back

the 850 is a 9005 kit and a 9006 kit if you planning to do hi and low beams

spesh
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 12:13
im in 100%

t5tart
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 12:26
ok so so far we got

2 me
1 arry
1 mikey
1 spesh

I have put one kit down for each unless u want hi and low which I believe is 2 seperate kits on 850's

Andy
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 12:36
Cost dependant, i'm in! :D

pzorb
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 15:22
I got the H1 pilot kit from the same bloke, and gave me a small 'forum' discount. The kit on Ebay amounts to 205ish quid because he adds on the postage then the vat on top.

I paid 199.99 for the kit outside ebay through email and his site. Be warned, he wanted an extra £10 for credit card payment.

The hardest bit was modifying the Hella covers for the wiring. Well, more time consuming.

I'd be interested to see how far he is willing to go; now you have a reference point!

mraldonnelly
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 15:35
I wanna do this mod eventually but won't commit to a group buy because I'm stoney broke at the moment (and will be for a few more months).

I am interested though if the price is right and there is an ongoing discount rather than just a one off group buy discount.

Regards

Andy

spesh
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 15:40
I got the H1 pilot kit from the same bloke, and gave me a small 'forum' discount. The kit on Ebay amounts to 205ish quid because he adds on the postage then the vat on top.

I paid 199.99 for the kit outside ebay through email and his site. Be warned, he wanted an extra £10 for credit card payment.

The hardest bit was modifying the Hella covers for the wiring. Well, more time consuming.

I'd be interested to see how far he is willing to go; now you have a reference point!

how you find the kit mate???? vast improvment?

pzorb
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 15:53
how you find the kit mate???? vast improvment?

Passenger side is great, but my driver's side still kinda diffuses the light into the ground. It's a fantastic bit of kit, but I was expecting similar performance to newer cars ie finer cut off, which I didn't get (more the fault of the headlights, not the kit). Still, a massive improvement but possibly not worth £200. £160 and I'dve been chuffed.

And at rush hour I get flashed lots too. More to do with the entire headlight unit being lit up than actually dazzling, but motorists at that time are always ready to criticise because it simply looks like it's fullbeam when actually it's not. Thankfully tho having two bulbs in each unit means that when I flash my mains it's rather obvious that they're wrong.

Click the picture:
http://www.pzorb.com/albums/Volvo/hids_mask2.thumb.jpg (http://www.pzorb.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=Volvo&id=hids_mask2)

mraldonnelly
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 16:07
Bit more expensive but this one seems as though there's no modification needed to the light housing as the bulb just plugs into the existing fitting. Presumably the harness that goes to the original bulb plugs into the ballast and the wires from the ballast go into the headlamp (if that makes any sense at all!).

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/home.php?cat=622

Ours are H7 bulbs aren't they?

Regards

Andy

pzorb
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 16:15
Bit more expensive but this one seems as though there's no modification needed to the light housing

If the ballasts were silver, it'd be the same kit less the bizarre black plastic cross things.

If yours is anything like my 850, you'll still need to drill a hole for the cables to run through the removable access cover.

aeroresh
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 19:35
If its any consolation I get flashed all the time when driving the Rangie which has standard Xenons...They are bl***y bright but the best headlamps Ive ever had. Both dipped and main beam are quite astonishing! :B_steerin

My S60 which Ive had the HID kit fitted are pretty good on dip but like pzorb said the cut off isnt that sharp but still faily well defined. Never get flashed though. :)

MattB
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 19:45
I wanna do this mod eventually but won't commit to a group buy because I'm stoney broke at the moment (and will be for a few more months).

I am interested though if the price is right and there is an ongoing discount rather than just a one off group buy discount.

Regards

Andy
Me too.

t5tart
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 19:59
well im just waiting for him to get back to me i told him i have provisional orders for 7 kits depending on prices etc

he will want to send them all to me
so i guess well have to arrange a meet up or ill have to post them out

mikezero
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 20:18
finer cut off,

i find with mine, that is the problem with them, its all lit, then nothing, when using dipped beam, abit weird!

arryjmc
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 22:13
Another thought, are we able to choose colour brightness, some look nice BUT i don't want a silly looking colour and no lighting benifit :(

t5tart
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 22:25
Another thought, are we able to choose colour brightness, some look nice BUT i don't want a silly looking colour and no lighting benifit :(

yes you will be able to choose that

arryjmc
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 23:38
cheers ta, they are good looking units aren't they

t5tart
Thursday 9th February 2006, 21:15
ok

I have just read his ebay listing and he adds

VAT to the price cheeky bugger

ok the deal is i need to order 10 kits

I can get them for £170
not a great saving but every little helps

obviously if you need them posting this will be done at cost

the deal obviously wont go ahead unless i get 10 orders

arryjmc
Thursday 9th February 2006, 23:17
£6.23 per kit, plus then the hassle for you to arrange delivery:) doesnt seem like it's worth wasting any more of your time to be honest., or is it just me.
cheers for the effort though.
would have thought they would have give you at leat 10% not 3% :rolleyes:

t5tart
Thursday 9th February 2006, 23:36
doesnt seemthe most generous sould

think ill look about a bit
see whats available if any of you guys know of any other suppliers let me know

might have something to do with the fact i emailed im a week or so ago about my own ones
might think its a rouse

LeeT5
Friday 10th February 2006, 00:56

Regards

Andy

Same here, very interested, but not group buy. I would buy from them if the price was undercutting everyone else.

aeroresh
Friday 10th February 2006, 07:10
I only paid £170 for mine from him off Ebay inc VAT. Postage was about £5 I think. :B_steerin

arryjmc
Friday 10th February 2006, 09:32
http://www.visionbulbs.com/vb_groupbuys.php, they advertise on ebay, but they dont look as well built as the ones you were looking at getting:(, but they have a 3 warranty on ballasts and Lamps and offices based in the UK

pzorb
Friday 10th February 2006, 14:35
Hey hum. Well if anyone wants to see this kit fitted before they buy it, send me a PM. I'm in Leamington.

S60D5
Saturday 11th February 2006, 13:45
Whats his Ebay ID?

After_Shock
Sunday 12th February 2006, 11:25
Bear in mind the E-bay margins will be slim anyways so the amount can get off would never be alot, probs hardly selling them for any profit at all.

What make are the ballasts on the kits and what colour bulbs are they, i.e what K rating are they or however they rate it?

t5tart
Sunday 12th February 2006, 11:28
Bear in mind the E-bay margins will be slim anyways so the amount can get off would never be alot, probs hardly selling them for any profit at all.

What make are the ballasts on the kits and what colour bulbs are they, i.e what K rating are they or however they rate it?

he does all the k ratings

pzorb
Sunday 12th February 2006, 12:28
Mine were 6K and are brilliant white. He has 5K and 8K if i remember, I think you can choose which you prefer.

t5tart
Sunday 12th February 2006, 15:19
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XENON-HID-CONVERSION-KIT-H1-H3-H4-H7-H11-9005-9006-9007_W0QQitemZ8037683808QQcategoryZ72235QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

looks a pretty good deal on ebay

gonna talk to him on the same basis

After_Shock
Sunday 12th February 2006, 15:55
At what K rating do they become illegal for having a silly amount of blue or purple in them?

aeroresh
Sunday 12th February 2006, 16:08
Not sure if there's a definate number but anything more than 6000K and you starting to be into dodgy territory.

Mine are 6500k and are borderline blue-ish. Just have to wait 'till MOT time to find out for sure. :B_blite:

http://static.flickr.com/27/96407079_58f9838f13.jpg

siamblue
Sunday 12th February 2006, 16:10
Mine are 4100k and the nearest to white so i was told,

Gary

t5tart
Sunday 12th February 2006, 16:34
i like the 6000k ones
but i was gonna go 12000k didnt know they were illegal :jaw

siamblue
Sunday 12th February 2006, 16:50
Here is a guide to the colours,

http://www.brandsports.com/ebay_pics/piaa/kelvin-scale.gif

http://www.neon-lighting.com/articles/colortemp.jpg

Engineer
Sunday 12th February 2006, 16:58
Here is a guide to the colours,

http://www.brandsports.com/ebay_pics/piaa/kelvin-scale.gif

http://www.neon-lighting.com/articles/colortemp.jpg
Turn em off dude you've woke me up lol Now where's me Candle Light :slap:

LeeT5
Monday 13th February 2006, 00:10
At what K rating do they become illegal for having a silly amount of blue or purple in them?

Above 7000 Kelvin the colour temperature starts to look purple. Max i think is 12000K.

As far as i'm aware MOT would be ok with HIDS at any colour temperature. At the end of the day HIDS are HIDS and not silly boy racer blue bulbs from halfrauds. :)

aeroresh
Monday 13th February 2006, 07:22
I think you're lights have to be a certain colour to pass an MOT, so no overtly blue and certianly not purple!

MOT bloke tried to fail my old Audi S6 once which had factory Xenons for being too blue. I pointed out it was standard and not much I could do....After much humming and harring he passed it in the end :troutslap

LeeT5
Friday 17th February 2006, 20:09
I think you're lights have to be a certain colour to pass an MOT, so no overtly blue and certianly not purple!

MOT bloke tried to fail my old Audi S6 once which had factory Xenons for being too blue. I pointed out it was standard and not much I could do....After much humming and harring he passed it in the end :troutslap

Sounds like MOT bloke is a jobs worth...whats he gonna do..fail every Audi that comes to his MOT station? I dont think so.

If it were an MOT failure then motor manufacturers wouldnt be allowed to make them.