PDA

View Full Version : S70 Heavy throttle cured

John
Monday 6th February 2006, 16:06
Throttle has been heavy in operation, took throttle cable of and removed throttle spindle, this has 2 coil springs to return the throttle. Removed the inner one and reset the outer one and refitted, its as light as a feather now, operates as I think it should on a quality motor. Could have been played with before not sure, but for all of you who have early Volvos, mines 1997 and have this problem, appears an easy fix. :B_steerin

siamblue
Monday 6th February 2006, 16:18
Nice one John, it's great when you get too the bottom of problems and fix them yourself without paying a fortune for the repair :)

Gary

Babybadger
Tuesday 7th February 2006, 16:37
Throttle has been heavy in operation, took throttle cable of and removed throttle spindle, this has 2 coil springs to return the throttle. Removed the inner one and reset the outer one and refitted, its as light as a feather now, operates as I think it should on a quality motor. Could have been played with before not sure, but for all of you who have early Volvos, mines 1997 and have this problem, appears an easy fix. :B_steerin

Has this affected slow speed running? Is it now more responsive? Do 850's have this?

John
Tuesday 7th February 2006, 17:09
No, ticks over and works as it should, not sure if its the same as 850 perhaps someone else could advise. Because the pedal now is a lot lighter the car is easier to drive and definately more responsive as I now use more throttle with no effort, where before I seem to have to think about it, if you follow what I mean.

t5tart
Tuesday 7th February 2006, 17:31
maybe a pic of your throttle set up etc ??

John
Tuesday 7th February 2006, 18:09
All looks the same as before, the 2 coil throttle return springs are behind the pulley the throttle cable attaches to. You take off the throttle cable and on mine kickdown rod(auto), remove the retaining circlip from the pulley and the pulley and springs comes away. Removed the inner spring and refitted just with the outer, making sure it is correctly tensioned up, job done, although very fiddly keeping spring in place when re-assembling, but well worth it.

dicky b t5
Tuesday 7th February 2006, 18:27
Nice one John, a nice easy n cheap out come.... :)

Tomcat
Tuesday 7th February 2006, 18:58
I'll have to try that, my new manual cars throttle is really stiff compared to my existing auto and its not nice at all, I was gonna splurge on a new cable but I may try this first instead. Well done that man!!

BlackBeast
Tuesday 7th February 2006, 19:09
Still unsure of what to do exactly? You say to 'Remove the inner spring and refitted just with the outer', so does that mean you dont refit the inner spring, and why not? Surely its supposed to be there!?!

Engineer
Tuesday 7th February 2006, 19:13
Still unsure of what to do exactly? You say to 'Remove the inner spring and refitted just with the outer', so does that mean you dont refit the inner spring, and why not? Surely its supposed to be there!?!If you guys are going to play with your return springs make sure your cruise control if fitted still returns quick enough, just a thought.

BlackBeast
Tuesday 7th February 2006, 19:18
I know my cruise control doesnt work anymore :(

arryjmc
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 21:12
Thought i might be able to do it without removing the sping (There for a reason) but still stiff as heel, anyhow, spring removed, seems smoother, still closes ok and misses is happy with it. So thats all that matters for me.
Cheers
Jon

John
Thursday 9th February 2006, 17:03
Cruise control works fine, have to confess not sure what the inner spring is for, exept building up my thigh muscle.

John
Thursday 9th February 2006, 17:05
Yes did not refit it, I suppose could be a back up spring, but as works fine without it, throw it away.