PDA

View Full Version : Tranny cooler, how easy to change the oil

Babybadger
Monday 6th February 2006, 12:32
Right , I have had my autobox flushed :bog: , but I think I should flush the oil coolers and replace the oil, as all oil gets old (does it not?). Is this an easy job, how long and how many spanners etc?

Also does the Autobox have any mounts, hydraulic or rubber possibly, as I still get a slight thump when changing up at low speeds , but not at faster speeds? Is there an ECU for the transmission I need to reset?

Wobbly Dave
Monday 6th February 2006, 12:37
I hope I am reading this correctly. If you change the ATF you will mix it with what is in the oil cooler. The torque converter is a fluid clutch and a pump at the same time. The pumping bit sends fluid around the box and out through the bottom of the box - through a pipe and into the cooler (part of the rad pack) and returns into the top of the box (under the battery tray). The two systems are concurrent.

AT box is bolted onto the side of the engine and as such relys on the engine mounts.

Ultimately you may have to accept that your AT box is worn?

Babybadger
Tuesday 7th February 2006, 15:05
I hope I am reading this correctly. If you change the ATF you will mix it with what is in the oil cooler. The torque converter is a fluid clutch and a pump at the same time. The pumping bit sends fluid around the box and out through the bottom of the box - through a pipe and into the cooler (part of the rad pack) and returns into the top of the box (under the battery tray). The two systems are concurrent.

AT box is bolted onto the side of the engine and as such relys on the engine mounts.

Ultimately you may have to accept that your AT box is worn?

Cheers Dave, I can't work it out sometimes this gearbox is a smooth as anything , generally from start up , and after it has been running gets a bit thumpy between 1st and 2nd, in traffic. Is this normal? Is there a throttle ecu or something? I am completely stumped on this. The AT guy said the gearbox is fine??????

Maybe I need to check wishbone bushes and CV joint etc?

It has to be engine mounts then, there are two or three? And I guess it is time for a strut brace!