PDA

View Full Version : Tweaking weekend ahoy!

Gwaredd
Thursday 3rd March 2005, 21:17
This weekend I am fitting some Ring Ultra Xenon bulbs to my headlights, & Ring Sportzblue bulbs to my main beams, hopefully they will contribute to a better night time driving experience. Volvo cracked turbocharging, but not headlights!

On the subject of turbo's, I also plan to wind in my wastegate actuator arm in 3-4 turns or however many till I'm happy, and investigate where the high pitched whistle is coming from at 4k RPM onwards. I can't see it being a leak, as it doesn't whistle anywhere else in the rev range, so if it was a leak, it would whistle at 2k RPM when the turbo blows it's hardest (albeit briefly).

My gut feeling is that it's some sort of resonance in the airbox as a result of me drilling it the other weekend, as it didn't do it before & I've checked & changed any suspect vaccum pipes etc. Hmmmm....

Any pitfalls or other tweaky mods I should do/watch out for whilst I've me spanners out? I've already moved the horns, drilled the air box & modified (read cut) the air intake pipe for a better ram air-ish angle.

Cheers,

Gwaredd.

Pedro Fandango
Thursday 3rd March 2005, 21:25
have you moved the horns out of the way of the intercooler yet?

Gwaredd
Thursday 3rd March 2005, 21:44
Skim-read by any chance? :wink:

Pedro Fandango
Thursday 3rd March 2005, 21:49
nope, just asleep

sorry mate

procee
Thursday 3rd March 2005, 22:39
With having a turbo i'd have thought there'd be no point chopping the intake pipe for angle? I can understand chopping it where it's thicker for easier flow, but the ram effect is very little except at high speed and even then would have no effect on a turbocharged vehicle as the turbo would suck in more air than the ram air effect would push no?

siamblue
Thursday 3rd March 2005, 22:50
On the subject of turbo's, I also plan to wind in my wastegate actuator arm in 3-4 turns or however many till I'm happy, and investigate where the high pitched whistle is coming from at 4k RPM onwards. I can't see it being a leak, as it doesn't whistle anywhere else in the rev range, so if it was a leak, it would whistle at 2k RPM when the turbo blows it's hardest (albeit briefly).

Cheers,

Gwaredd.

Here Gwaredd,It was Mitsubishi that cracked the Turbos on our cars :eek:,
Is the high pitch whistle like a Police siren kind of sound?
As one of my old cars did that and it turned out to be the turbo on its way out,
Mine whistles all the time but it is just the spool up :)

Gwaredd
Friday 4th March 2005, 00:34
Now the airbox is drilled, the intake pipe is acting more as a cold air feed rather than anything else, so by chopping the pipe to an angle, it allows the air to flow directly into it, rather than it having to suck round the 'U'-bend shape that it was as standard. Try sticking your head out of the window at 30mph. Not a very high speed, but enough pressure to make your eyes water.

As for the whistle, it's almost like a dog whistle, but constant in tone. Strange.

Gwaredd.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 4th March 2005, 01:44
I gave this advice on wg tweaking the other day.

Unless you know what you are doing - don't fiddle!

The actuator needs to be set to 4 psi (the pressure before the wastegate opens). Overtightening the wg rod will lead to a world of pain (overboosting & bent con rods).

To set it properly you need an accurate pump with a gauge.

Remove the heat sheild.
Disconnect the vacuum line into the actuator.
Remove the pin on the wastegate end of the wg rod.
Slide the wg rod off the top of the wastegate hinge
undo the 10mm locking nut on the wg rod
Connect the pump to the actuator
pump the actuator upto 4psi
adjust the wg rod so that the hole slides into position on the wg hinge pin (without hinderance) with the gate closed.
Reassemble

If you have any questions then this means you don't understand which means you shouldn't fiddle.

Be warned !

Gwaredd
Friday 4th March 2005, 11:00
Ok, I understand things enough to tinker, but not having access to a gauge, I was going to use the 1-2 turns at a time method as detailed in the 'how to' section. I'm not going to wind it right in from the off, just proper hedgerow mechanics stuff, wind it in a turn, take it up the road, stop in a layby, another turn etc etc.

BUT, if this way is really dodgy, then I'll give it a miss until I can borrow a friends gauge.

Cheers for the heads up anyway.

Gwaredd.

Mrsmopp
Friday 4th March 2005, 11:37
Get yourself a manual boost controller!

x

Gwaredd
Friday 4th March 2005, 11:56
Yeah I know, but I like tweaking! :eek: :o

Wobbly Dave
Friday 4th March 2005, 19:19
Maybe my message is over cautious. Tinker if you will so long as you are aware that there are risks.

Babybadger
Friday 4th March 2005, 19:29
Here Gwaredd,It was Mitsubishi that cracked the Turbos on our cars :eek:,
Is the high pitch whistle like a Police siren kind of sound?
As one of my old cars did that and it turned out to be the turbo on its way out,
Mine whistles all the time but it is just the spool up :)

You have got me worried now, mine has always sounded like a copper is up my arse, but VT say it is a standard stock car and no oil loss. And it is RICA'd!

How long did your turbo last before it went and what was the symptoms before it went?

Cheers

Babybadger

Tallpointy
Friday 4th March 2005, 19:56
My 5 is standard.
It started to loose performance, I thought it was the vacuum hoses and eventually it went on to make the caught by the fuzz noises (See my thread about comedy noise).

The noise only started when the turbo was unable to compress at all (all of my compressor vains are missing, presumed ground away by something). It does not loose oil, it just swanney whistles, and fails to provide any boost at all.

If it's been doing it all the time you've had it and VT say it's fine, in all reality it probably is.

siamblue
Friday 4th March 2005, 23:29
You have got me worried now, mine has always sounded like a copper is up my arse, but VT say it is a standard stock car and no oil loss. And it is RICA'd!

How long did your turbo last before it went and what was the symptoms before it went?

Cheers

Babybadger

As above,It didn't boost at all in the end.