PDA

View Full Version : HID Kit for Volvo S60

S60D5
Monday 6th February 2006, 00:38
I've been told that the software on the 2002 onwards Volvos will not allow you to fit aftermarket HID / Xenon kits to the car?

Can anyone confirm this, as mine is a 2003 model and I'd quite like a Xenon or Bi-Xenon kit!

aeroresh
Monday 6th February 2006, 12:24
Mine'a a 2002 model and Ive got aftermarket HIDs on mine. The only issue I have is that occasionally the bulb failure warning light will illuminate for 10 secs on start up before going out.

S60D5
Monday 6th February 2006, 13:25
Mine'a a 2002 model and Ive got aftermarket HIDs on mine. The only issue I have is that occasionally the bulb failure warning light will illuminate for 10 secs on start up before going out.

What kit did you use? How much etc?

I'm very interested, more so than any tuning as the lights are a bit pants.

Why does the warning light come on sometimes and not others? Anyone know?

glock19
Monday 6th February 2006, 14:34
HID operates on an average of 35W whereas normal bulbs at 55W. So the current drawn is much lesser and the ECU (or some modules) are telling you that a bulb is blown. The remedy is to fix another bulb (15W maybe) in series with the wiring and dump the bulb somewhere into the engine compartment. This serves as an engine lamp when the hood is open during the night. :D

S60D5
Monday 6th February 2006, 14:36
HID operates on an average of 35W whereas normal bulbs at 55W. So the current drawn is much lesser and the ECU (or some modules) are telling you that a bulb is blown. The remedy is to fix another bulb (15W maybe) in series with the wiring and dump the bulb somewhere into the engine compartment. This serves as an engine lamp when the hood is open during the night. :D

I understand this! Bit of a "cheap" fix though!

I've found a HID kit suitable for the Volvo S60 (ie it wont trigger any warning lamps)...

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/product_details.asp?id=14

glock19
Monday 6th February 2006, 14:57
I think there are some versions with the correct (or similar) wattage as the ori. Good Luck

aeroresh
Monday 6th February 2006, 19:41
It not much of an issue 'cos like I said the light only stays on for a matter of a few seconds then extinguishes by itself and only then occassionally :insane:

kit was from http://www.hids4u.co.uk/ (http://), cost was about £180 if I remember.

Ive also replaced the sidelights for white PIAA LED items as the standard yellow ones bleached the look.

http://static.flickr.com/30/96407082_dc2954db88_b.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/27/96407079_58f9838f13_b.jpg

S60D5
Monday 6th February 2006, 23:45
Cheers for pics, looks good. Might have to do the fogs too though, looking at the pic they're very yellow!!

I emailed HID4U and they told me I need the X5 kit which is £255 vs the £225 for the standard Pilot kit you have?

t5tart
Tuesday 7th February 2006, 00:44
hold yer horses guys im gonna mail them see if they do trade discounds

see if i can swing a deal using the bike company credentials

as i want some myself

aeroresh
Tuesday 7th February 2006, 07:00
Cheers for pics, looks good. Might have to do the fogs too though, looking at the pic they're very yellow!!

I emailed HID4U and they told me I need the X5 kit which is £255 vs the £225 for the standard Pilot kit you have?

Dont mind the fogs so much being yellow but main beam is really yellow and comparatively useless now!

Not sure which kit Ive got but if they're now saying use the X5 kit Id go for that....Bare in mind aswell that HIDs4u sometimes do good deals on Ebay. Thats where I got mine from. :)

mikezero
Tuesday 7th February 2006, 20:25
are these kits, bright white halgen bulbs, or xenon lights or bi-xenon??

S60D5
Tuesday 7th February 2006, 20:31
are these kits, bright white halgen bulbs, or xenon lights or bi-xenon??

6000k HID Xenon's

Although you can get Bi-Xenon kits, I'd probably go with the single kit to start with, then upgrade to the Bi-Xenon if I needed to.

GATHY
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 17:18
Dont mind the fogs so much being yellow but main beam is really yellow and comparatively useless now!

Not sure which kit Ive got but if they're now saying use the X5 kit Id go for that....Bare in mind aswell that HIDs4u sometimes do good deals on Ebay. Thats where I got mine from. :)

NICE CAR M8.give me some hope looking out on the drive at my dull as dishwater standard s60 !! where them front bumper trims come from ?
pm> all the info on your machine if your really nice

S60D5
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 23:13
NICE CAR M8.give me some hope looking out on the drive at my dull as dishwater standard s60 !! where them front bumper trims come from ?
pm> all the info on your machine if your really nice

Heico I believe, they're called "front spoiler flaps".

Vikingxl
Thursday 9th February 2006, 09:05
Heico I believe, they're called "front spoiler flaps".
Parts for volvo online supply the Heico ones but be warned they are far from cheap!

S60D5
Thursday 9th February 2006, 10:26
Parts for volvo online supply the Heico ones but be warned they are far from cheap!

~£250ish I think, and another £100 or so to spray and fit!

I think they look fab, but at £350 all in a tad expensive at the moment!

S60D5
Saturday 11th February 2006, 14:44
OK.

Am deffo going to go ahead with the HID thang. I've emailed a fitter in Hampshire to quote for supply & fitting so we'll see where that goes!