PDA

View Full Version : IN CAR Manual Boost Controller

pdwb
Saturday 4th February 2006, 23:30
many years ago a friend fitted one of these to his 5turbo....... the thing went like a rocket till he blew up the gearbox on it........ i have been thinking of different things to do to mine and after the engine chip i was wondering if one of these would be a good idea....... it seems that if you up the power with a chip it would be a good idea to be able to up the boost a little too.......... also would need the gauge to show how much boost i was making, any thoughts on this guys

volvotuning
Saturday 4th February 2006, 23:37
My first and only thought on this is -

DON'T

Upping the boost manually above and beyond what the ECU is programmed to do means that one or more of the following things will happen -

1. Bend a conrod due to excessive boost.
2. Create more low down torque but less power due to excessive charge temps.
3. Possible lean running condition since the fuel map won't match the boost map anymore.
4. Frequent ignition retarding causing power loss.
5. No boost control, so boost cannot be lowered by ECU if required such as during limp home mode.

Adam.

pdwb
Sunday 5th February 2006, 14:27
thanks.........your advice is noted and i wont be thinking about it anymore...... got to get my thinking away from hot hatches and onto the more refined power of a t5

volvotuning
Sunday 5th February 2006, 15:39
got to get my thinking away from hot hatches and onto the more refined power of a t5

That really is the best way to think about it. It's never gonna be a hot hatch, so when you're tuning it you need to think about what you want out of the car within it's real world capability.

Adam.

pdwb
Sunday 5th February 2006, 22:04
i'll tell you my master plans now i have thought about them....... i now have 3 toys in the garage/on the drive...... my T5, 306gti6 and a ducati monster with a 916 engine....... first, the T5 is only going to get a chip to 310bhp and some bodystyle changes such as mess grill...... the 306 is going off the road and i will play with that, strip out all the weight such as cent locking, power windows and turn it into a rallye with engine chip, de-cat induction kit and maybe drop it an inch...... the monster is long overdue a new round of chopping and mods so thats also on my plan......... if the T5 was y only motor then maybe i would mess with it cos its all i had but when i have one of the fastest hatches of its time with a lot of playing left in her i would be a fool to wreak my S60......... i did also wonder have much power the auto box could take on a day to day basis as this will be my long distance work car......... better get myself a car trailer to bring the pug to trackdays then lol