PDA

View Full Version : DIY Headlight alignment

pzorb
Friday 3rd February 2006, 19:35
Does anyone know of a way of doing this yourself? I don't have the interior adjusters - maybe there's an equation like for every 10 metres the beam should drop 1 metre etc?

I have new HIDs, don't want to blind people!

SaffronC70
Friday 3rd February 2006, 19:49
hi

Leave them as is, them gradually drop them one turn at a time until people stop flashing you.

I had mine setup at a MOT station and people were still flashing me.

I've had to make do with having less light on the road ahead of me in favour of keeping the HIDs !

They are awesome though.

Chris

Andrew
Friday 3rd February 2006, 19:56
Put my new lights in - went to get alligned at MOT place - they where spot on *pats self on back*...

HIDs which are sat on the floor next to me fitted next.

Ac.

SaffronC70
Friday 3rd February 2006, 20:07
Trust me, you'll get your fair share of flashes !

As was discussed before, you know they are spot on, but the flashed will get to you !

Chris

siamblue
Friday 3rd February 2006, 21:15
Trust me, you'll get your fair share of flashes !

As was discussed before, you know they are spot on, but the flashed will get to you !

Chris

I have only ever been flashed by a truckers headlights once.

mine are lowered inside of the car one click too.

Gary

Andrew
Saturday 4th February 2006, 00:19
If I get flashed I'll just unleash the full force for a moment to show "no they are actually dimmed"

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 4th February 2006, 00:20
If you've got a regular place that you get your mechanicing done they'll probably do it for nowt...

weasel
Saturday 4th February 2006, 00:44
they ought to be banned. going round dazzling folks and flashing blue when at an angle :icon_soap

SaffronC70
Saturday 4th February 2006, 01:48
they ought to be banned. going round dazzling folks and flashing blue when at an angle :icon_soap

I agree to a degree, but you have to drive with them to appreciate them.

IMO driving on halogens 'prehistoric' hehe.

No wy to explain, just grab a ride in the night with a car with HIDS.

Whitey

siamblue
Saturday 4th February 2006, 02:53
I agree to a degree, but you have to drive with them to appreciate them.

IMO driving on halogens 'prehistoric' hehe.

No wy to explain, just grab a ride in the night with a car with HIDS.

Whitey

Best mod on the car IMHO, you won't go back to 55w that's for sure'

Gary

Redbrick
Saturday 4th February 2006, 20:07
IMHO they should not illuminate the interior of the car you are following. If they do and the driver has to dip his rear view mirror then they are too high.

Thats how I've set mine and I never get flashed.

I do have the interior headlight height adjuster on the dash and can alter them up and down if needed.

SaffronC70
Saturday 4th February 2006, 20:26
IMHO they should not illuminate the interior of the car you are following. If they do and the driver has to dip his rear view mirror then they are too high.

Some good advice there.

Engineer
Saturday 4th February 2006, 21:18
they ought to be banned. going round dazzling folks and flashing blue when at an angle :icon_soapIm with you weasel on this one, I eat my carrots like my mum always told me and I can see in the dark so I don't need HID's lol.

weasel
Saturday 4th February 2006, 21:25
'I do have the interior headlight height adjuster on the dash and can alter them up and down if needed.'
presenting flashing blue lights....

'I eat my carrots like my mum always told me and I can see in the dark so I don't need HID's lol'
indeed and people who can't see in the dark shouldn't be allowed to drive anyway!

Redbrick
Saturday 4th February 2006, 21:58
'I do have the interior headlight height adjuster on the dash and can alter them up and down if needed.'
presenting flashing blue lights....

Let me clear up some confusion I think you have, if I may!

HID's are frickin bright, no doubt. However to get that irritating, but cool, twinkle you need the light units with the big fish eye lense in them (don't know their correct name!), like the Audi's and other posh modern motors have. The light appears to alter in colour as you approach the car, from purple through blue to white.

HID's in my plain vanilla '96 headlights are just bright and don't 'twinkle'!

You can however get different colour temperatures in HID's, the ones in my Volvo are crisp white.

If your not confused then my apologies.

S60D5
Saturday 4th February 2006, 21:59
Can I get a HID kit for the S60 ?

Redbrick
Saturday 4th February 2006, 22:00
Can I get a HID kit for the S60 ?

Probably! What bulbs do you take?

S60D5
Saturday 4th February 2006, 22:01
Probably! What bulbs do you take?

Ones which light up? Lol. I have absolutely no idea. :bog:

Redbrick
Saturday 4th February 2006, 22:08
Ones which light up? Lol. I have absolutely no idea. :bog:

60 watt bayonet fitting lol

Many internet based places sell them:

I've used..... http://www.hid-online.com/hidonline/

They were expensive though, customer service was outstanding.

There are a few places on Ebay as well.

S60D5
Saturday 4th February 2006, 22:11
60 watt bayonet fitting lol

Many internet based places sell them:

I've used..... http://www.hid-online.com/hidonline/

They were expensive though, customer service was outstanding.

There are a few places on Ebay as well.

I'll have a look see. Do I need to change the lenses / reflectors to the ones that come with a Xenon equipped S60?

LeeT5
Saturday 4th February 2006, 23:07
Let me clear up some confusion I think you have, if I may!

The light appears to alter in colour as you approach the car, from purple through blue to white.

If your not confused then my apologies.

....The reason for this is because of the colour spectrum. The light is white in the middle because of what our eyes can see, but as you go towards the outside of the light the colour temperature changes and thus so does the light. so you see the other colours in the light spectrum (as per a rainbow).

££££e explanation i know but its as good as your gonna get. :B_blite: I did find a proper explanation at a bulb web site but it was about 12 pages long and i couldnt be arsed to read it all. You will still get the colours in a normal flat lense but not as noticeable. The audi type are spherical, like T5 front fogs!! I bet HIDS in them would be nice...