PDA

View Full Version : My 850 Is Poorly, Help me please!

Andy
Friday 3rd February 2006, 14:58
Hey All,

I'm looking for a wee bit of advice please to cure the flu symptoms lady has at the moment.

She threw an engine management light this morning when I disconnected the battery for a while to reset her so I could pin point the problems she is having.

Basically the problems are as follows...

1) When acclerating in 2nd and 3rd (most noticable) she boosts very erratically i.e. power on, power off then zoom off she goes.....The boost gauge is showing half in the white.
I have a BCS on order to replace but if this doesn't work does anyone have any ideas please? (p.s. i have searched for answers but no specific ones were brought up)

2) Throttle cable is very stiff, new cable is on order, BUT(again) if this is not the cable what else could it be? Throttle body?

All help is much appreciated

Thankyou

Andy
Friday 3rd February 2006, 22:39
27 views and not one reply.

Cheers guys :wtf: :bog:

splatt
Friday 3rd February 2006, 22:41
28 now.

Codes need to be read mate...give you a clue.

Andy
Friday 3rd February 2006, 22:45
28 now.

Codes need to be read mate...give you a clue.

Lol,

Thankyou, I've booked it in for that to be done but was wondering if it could be an easy fix. Just looks like i'll have to wait.

I'm not gonna drive her with the engine light on, don't like the thought of causing damage!

siamblue
Friday 3rd February 2006, 22:54
It could be a lot of things Andy, dodgy plug/lead, maf, crank sensor, BCS, wastegate actuator, so there is not point in guessing mate, you can read the codes off of your one because it is a early one i do believe?

Gary.

Mrsmopp
Friday 3rd February 2006, 22:55
Possibly the maf? Tthink about 50-70 quid from salvo.

Let me know how things go babe

x

Andy
Friday 3rd February 2006, 23:03
It could be a lot of things Andy, dodgy plug/lead, maf, crank sensor, BCS, wastegate actuator, so there is not point in guessing mate, you can read the codes off of your one because it is a early one i do believe?

Gary.

Its 1994 no OBII port

JUDGENINJA
Friday 3rd February 2006, 23:11
the plugs with the magic pins are under the bonnet then...
Yep sounds like it could be a load of different things...

siamblue
Friday 3rd February 2006, 23:14
the plugs with the magic pins are under the bonnet then...
Yep sounds like it could be a load of different things...

There you go Andy as the main man said ;)

Gary

S60D5
Saturday 4th February 2006, 11:04
Its 1994 no OBII port

If its '94 you can read the codes yourself using the "A & B" diagnostic modules under the bonnet?

pzorb
Saturday 4th February 2006, 11:19
I would have said plugs or leads myself. After experiencing similar problems, those were both the culprets. I'd replace the sparks first, or at least inspect them. Some people here say that the regular copper ones are fine, others swear by the iridiums - plenty of discussion on thread here so have a look to decide. I went with iridiums.

Andy
Saturday 4th February 2006, 17:24
If its '94 you can read the codes yourself using the "A & B" diagnostic modules under the bonnet?

Can you tell me how to do this please? I have searched but found nothing relating to it :(

splatt
Saturday 4th February 2006, 17:30
The Haynes manual explains this quite well...basically you have a built in diagnostic system...has its own fly lead, plug it in to various sockets to get error codes 'flashed' back to you on a LED....good stuff...

Andy
Saturday 4th February 2006, 17:37
Seen as I don't have a haynes manual for the old girl yet looks like I need to pay a trip to halfords.

siamblue
Saturday 4th February 2006, 17:41
Come on lads can anyonr scan the page for Andy, at least then we will know the codes so we can take it one step further,

Gary

splatt
Saturday 4th February 2006, 17:42
Seen as I don't have a haynes manual for the old girl yet looks like I need to pay a trip to halfords.nor do I...PM me your addy as I remember the codes...:) and the instructions...;)

Andy
Saturday 4th February 2006, 17:58
Come on lads can anyonr scan the page for Andy, at least then we will know the codes so we can take it one step further,

Gary

Thanks gaz :)

god knows what i've done to deserve the silent treatment :jaw: booo hhoooo hoooo lol

Andy
Saturday 4th February 2006, 17:58
nor do I...PM me your addy as I remember the codes...:) and the instructions...;)

PM'd, thankyou very much! :D

t5tart
Saturday 4th February 2006, 18:02
direct from haynes
find the diagnostic unit which is situated in the front right and side of the engine bay alongside the windscreenwashr resevoir filler ( 2 black oblong blocks ) it consists of 2 modules mounted side by side with plastic cover over each lift the 2 coves and note that each module is lables A snd B each having 6 numbered sockets.

with the ignition OFF unclip the fly lead from the cover and insert in socket 2 of module A

have a pen and paper ready to write down the codes the 3 digit codes appear as a number of flashes from the red led on the top of the module next to the test button the flashes have a slight pause beteen numbers

With the fly lead inserted swith ON the igntion, press the test button once for about one second then release it and wait for the red to flash As the led flashes write down the codes now press the button again and copy down the next code. Continue until the first fault code is displayed again indicating that all codes have been read then switch off the ignition

if code 111 is displayed there is no fault showing

once read come back to me i have alist here of the codes

pic attached of the modules

Andy
Saturday 4th February 2006, 18:05
t5tart - Thanks for taking the time out to help.

I think we need a How to made up (which I will do as a thanks for all helping and post in in the how to section)

t5tart
Saturday 4th February 2006, 18:07
t5tart - Thanks for taking the time out to help.

I think we need a How to made up (which I will do as a thanks for all helping and post in in the how to section)

sounds like a plan
if u need the codes scanning in i can do that

or at least a jpeg image any how

mindu could probably c+p fron that program to a word doc ....not sure

maybe volvospeed already has a thread ??

siamblue
Saturday 4th February 2006, 18:09
T5start you are a star mate, many thanks, needs to be a sticky this how too just incase some else doesn't know what to do,

Gary.

Andy
Saturday 4th February 2006, 18:11
Deffo Sticky... But not this thread, i'll sort a proper (neater) one out soon.

t5tart
Saturday 4th February 2006, 18:16
lol i know how much volvo charge to reset the service light and its so damn simple on these

that would be another good how to if its no there

£40 to plug in a flu lead and press a button lol

Andy
Saturday 4th February 2006, 18:26
Ok Chaps, Now got the codes read.... thanks again to t5tart

1-2-1 is the only code showing :D

t5tart
Saturday 4th February 2006, 18:27
MAP sensor signal faulty or not present

Andy
Saturday 4th February 2006, 18:29
just found this link (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=215&highlight=1-2-1) which is excellent and will be used as part of the how to.... what you think?

I take it that as the MAF is showing faulty that could be the cause of my erratic / hesitating acceleration?

Excellent work so far :D

t5tart
Saturday 4th February 2006, 18:30
yer haynes call it a MAP sensor though lol

Andy
Saturday 4th February 2006, 18:31
In fact, instead of re doing a how to that link i've just posted is a how to... doh!!

how come i couldn't find that!!! grrr

t5tart
Saturday 4th February 2006, 18:36
not a clue
but 1-2-1 on the MAP manifold absoloute pressure not MAF ..........

accordint to mr haynes

MAP sensor

instead of MAF sensor the fenix system uses a MAP sensor abd air inle temp sensor
the calculate the volume of air drawn in

MAP sensor is conected to the inlet manifold via a hose and uses a piezo-electrical cryastal to convert manifold pressure to an electrical signal tobe sent to the ecu

does this make sense to anyone lol

Andy
Saturday 4th February 2006, 18:38
not a clue
but 1-2-1 on the MAP manifold absoloute pressure not MAF ..........

maybe something to do with the vac lines ??

What list you looking at to get that code?

volvotuning
Saturday 4th February 2006, 18:38
It's definately relating to MAF on the 850 T5.

Adam.

t5tart
Saturday 4th February 2006, 18:41
haynes manual and the codes in the thread clicky you posted

accordint to mr haynes

MAP sensor

instead of MAF sensor the fenix system uses a MAP sensor abd air inle temp sensor

MAP sensor is conected to the inlet manifold via a hose and uses a piezo-electrical cryastal to convert manifold pressure to an electrical signal tobe sent to the ecu

t5tart
Saturday 4th February 2006, 18:42
read on more its the fenix 5.2 system which is used on 10v non turbo engines

Andy
Saturday 4th February 2006, 18:48
Was just gonna say mate... MAP relates to the 10V engine!!!

Stop confusing everyone!!! heheh :D

Andy
Saturday 4th February 2006, 18:49
It's definately relating to MAF on the 850 T5.

Adam.

Thanks Adam :)

t5tart
Saturday 4th February 2006, 18:52
Was just gonna say mate... MAP relates to the 10V engine!!!

Stop confusing everyone!!! heheh :D

hehehehehehe

im confused myself haha its not hard

:jaw:

LeeT5
Saturday 4th February 2006, 19:25
haynes manual and the codes in the thread clicky you posted

accordint to mr haynes

MAP sensor

B4 you go replacing the MAF sensor make sure you check ALL the vacuum line, inc that pig of one between intake manifolds left hand side. You can get to it without removing intake manifold. It's a bitch to get to. It will through a light and cause 1-2-1 code because it's all related. 9 times out of 10 it will always be something that causes something else to throw up the light.. ie vacuum elbows dont have sensors attached to them...know what i mean :)

I know this cos same code and light last year for me.

Babybadger
Saturday 4th February 2006, 19:39
Ok Chaps, Now got the codes read.... thanks again to t5tart

1-2-1 is the only code showing :D

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/850_70_fault_codes.shtml

and for engine bits http://au.geocities.com/ozbrick850/computercodesvolvo.html

Make sure you get ALL the codes that show up. make sure there is no other code after 1-2-1

t5tart
Saturday 4th February 2006, 20:05
B4 you go replacing the MAF sensor make sure you check ALL the vacuum line, inc that pig of one between intake manifolds left hand side. You can get to it without removing intake manifold. It's a bitch to get to. It will through a light and cause 1-2-1 code because it's all related. 9 times out of 10 it will always be something that causes something else to throw up the light.. ie vacuum elbows dont have sensors attached to them...know what i mean :)

I know this cos same code and light last year for me.

if his engine a 1994 like mint the vac lines wont run to the left og the intake manifild that nipple is blocked off

it runs over the head behind the spark plug cover and to the tree

Andy
Friday 10th February 2006, 18:26
Well car went into my local mechanic today and the throttle was fixed.

It was the cable that needed replacing so he used a genuine Volvo Item and replaced springs etc.... needless to say the throttle is now feather light and makes driving alot easier.

Deffo the MAF thats gone as he tested a new one on it and it ran like a rocket.
Apparently the car is running on cold start at the moment (according to diagnostics) with fuelling higher than normal (which is obviously down to the MAF).

She has new blood running through her now too which is nice for her :D

Can't wait for the MAF to be fixed then Its time for some FUN :D

Mrsmopp
Friday 10th February 2006, 18:47
Good news about the cable!! She'll go like a rocket once that MAF sorted!!

x

fraz13
Friday 10th February 2006, 18:50
You sellin lemons Moppy? :haha:

Mrsmopp
Friday 10th February 2006, 18:55

:nutkick: That car is a peach for the money paid!!

x

S60D5
Friday 10th February 2006, 18:59
:nutkick: That car is a peach for the money paid!!

x

One day we'll see the pics, I'm sure!

fraz13
Friday 10th February 2006, 19:05
Am only teasin ye :haha:

Am sure its a cracker, Its just work that most need doing ;)

Andy
Friday 10th February 2006, 19:16
One day we'll see the pics, I'm sure!

LMAO,

I am sorry mate. I really haven't had time.... blah blah blah he he! ;)

Andy
Friday 10th February 2006, 19:17

Lemons and Limes! ;)

Andy
Wednesday 15th February 2006, 17:41
UPDATE.

New MAF... Same problem.

Going on Rollers next week :)

Richie-T5
Saturday 25th February 2006, 20:36
andy it sounds like a vacume line / actuator to me... i not had much experience with mapped ignition turbos, but plenty without. what i found with uneven boosting is when a vacume line is bleeding air out, the actuator does not open the wastegate at the correct boost, resulting in a turbo lagg type symptom... and unsmooth acceleration. what you normally find is, you put your foot down, get very little performance then bang wastegate opens and off you go.... now that is simple with non mapped ignition. if you put same syndrome into mapped ignition, the sensors on the engine may be fooled into thinking that it is the MAF as the vacume pressure needed to correctly open the waste gate is not correct to the settings of the engine.

(just a theory here i could be way off....just trying to put experience with other turbos into the mix lmao)

on the mini turbo, this symptom can be achieved with a bleed valve and an 8psi billet actuator, by god when the boost comes in the car drives sideways....WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH.

if it is actuator go to www.avonbar.com and order a billet one you will notice a massive difference in performance thats 4 sure.