PDA

View Full Version : C70 T5 Problem

Big_Papa_T
Friday 3rd February 2006, 10:16
Hi all, i've got an issue with my C70 T5 (auto).
The other day when i got in the car there was rumbling/rattling noise every time i pulled away. At first i thought it may be a gearbox fault, but checked the fluid level and it's fine. Then i noticed that it only seems to make the noise when the steering wheel is turned slightly to the left and i pull away. I have now also noticed that if i engage drive (with foot on brake) and and turn the steering to almost full lock to the left I can hear a diluted version of the noise! The other weird thing is that the noise is not there if i use the handbrake instead of the footbrake!
I really can't work out what it could be. I'm now thinking along the lines of driveshaft or CV joint. Am i right in thinking that it can't be a gearbox problem if it only makes the noise with the steering to the left?
Anyone with any thoughts on potential culprits would be appreciated!

Wobbly Dave
Friday 3rd February 2006, 12:36
Check the level of your power steering reservoir - consider flush changing. Your PAS pump could be showing signs of wear.

:welcome:

Big_Papa_T
Tuesday 7th February 2006, 20:06
Thanks for the advice, checked the PAS fluid level. It was slightly low but still above minimum. Fluid level now topped up, but the noise is still there. What is making diagnosis hard is that the noise is intermittent.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 00:24
I'd really need to see/hear it. Is the noise in time with the revolution of the wheels?

Vikingxl
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 00:27
I know its off topic but aren't you supposed to be tired out Wobbly?

Big_Papa_T
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 19:57
Nope the noise isn't in time with the rotation of the wheels. On a previous car i've had an engine mount go and the noise is very similar to that. Of course i have checked out the engine and gearbox mounts and all are ok!

Thanks for the help anyway, think i'll probably just wait until it gets worse and then hopefully diagnosing the problem should be a bit easier!