PDA

View Full Version : What is the first step on getting more power out of a T5

T5 Beginner
Friday 3rd February 2006, 05:44
just wondering what steps can be taken to increase the perfomance of a T5?
and in what or and what to look out for when completing these modifications
Any info would be greatfully recieved
Regards
Ben

JUDGENINJA
Friday 3rd February 2006, 06:00
Although it's a good question... you need to spend a bit of time reading throught the masses of threads on this nature as there are many options...:

RICA - Electrical upgrade 280 - 304 BHP increase from an ECU change and re-map
plus other tuning upgrades (TME etc..)
MBC - Manual Boost Controller - manually increases boost resulting in a power increase
Air filters / Exhausts / turbo's / flywheel work... I can safely say the list is endless....!!!

or you could just strip the car of all it's weight ..... which ever you choose there's always advantages and dis-advantages....

T5 Beginner
Friday 3rd February 2006, 06:09
just really want to start with the simple stuff first like air filter, exhaust have had a sweede turbo before but it was a SAAB that was mental boosting from 2000rpm to 5500rpm constant.
but these seem to be very different

Mrsmopp
Friday 3rd February 2006, 08:32
First job before anything else http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=217&highlight=stage

Dont expect to get a great deal from the filter and exhaust tho

x

Vikingxl
Friday 3rd February 2006, 08:52
I agree withMrs Mopp get the stage 0 done first and see if there are any underlying problems!

John
Friday 3rd February 2006, 10:16
Regards
Ben
Having had a T5 for a couple of months now and done a fair bit to it, my initial advice would be to make sure it is running at its best in standard trim. Even if its got history have someone you can trust to make sure the plugs,leads and filters are all okay and there are no leaks on any hoses. I have the Rica upgrade and consider it money well spent for all the extra bhp and drivability of the car, but there are other options available, depends on what increase you are looking for. :B_steerin

S60D5
Friday 3rd February 2006, 10:42
Regards
Ben

First of all, you'll want to make sure its running tip top in standard trim. Perform a full service and "stage 0" upgrade (service items etc), replace anything that needs changing and do any minor jobs on the car. Making sure the front suspension is all good will save on tyres/ torque steer.

After its running A1, the biggest and easiest gain is an ECU upgrade. RICA supply the 280/304 upgrade, TME also do one (275) and so do several others (BSR, Superchips, Upsolute et cetera). TME & RICA seem to be the favourites. Do some research. This likely to cost you ~£300-400.

Most people stop here, as 275-300bhp through the front wheels (not whp) is enough for most. Some go on to bigger and better things, such as larger turbos and different exhausts, through to engine rebuilds and weight saving excercises!

Martinr
Friday 3rd February 2006, 10:49
Fully agree with the sentiment that power is nothing without control. Make sure that the suspension and brake components are up to scratch before persuing more ponies :)

Consider fitting a strut brace, in my opinion one of the best mods.