PDA

View Full Version : d5 sounds like a tractor when freezing cold

GATHY
Thursday 2nd February 2006, 20:19
god i though dervs where getting quite
not this week the old d5 sounds like my old astra 17d starting up for the first 20 seconds a right old bit of diesel knock from flat cold just like to know if anybody else suffers or does mine need help ive take off the powerclick for this reason makes it twice as bad as it overfuels it .
its fine when the temps above 4 (roll on summer)
my mates 05 skoda october tdi puts it to shame in the noise dept.

will injector cleaner help ?
thats what you get with modern dervs is it ? i havent had one for years

fireclown
Thursday 2nd February 2006, 22:13
i should try some injector cleaner. a pint of petrol in the tank helps on the cold mornings also. i think it struggles to atomize properly in the cold weather. bit like me in the morning. i rek.

S60D5
Friday 3rd February 2006, 09:38
Diesels will always be that bit noisier for the first few seconds, but I've found putting BP Ultimate in the tank makes it a bit quieter and smoother, with slightly better fuel consumption too.

GATHY
Friday 3rd February 2006, 17:23
bp ulimat what?
dervs dearest thing at the pumps i go to asda to fuel up lol
bp wow your the richest man i know :B_steerin

Aiken
Friday 3rd February 2006, 17:32
Yeah you cant beat a bit of BP Ultimate. Prob why mines not so noisy on first start in the morning.

S60D5
Friday 3rd February 2006, 19:33
bp ulimat what?
dervs dearest thing at the pumps i go to asda to fuel up lol
bp wow your the richest man i know :B_steerin

Yeah, it's 97.9p a litre here. Cheapest diesel place near me is Shell at 91.9p a litre. Thats only £3.50 extra per tank, and its slightly better on the fuel (only just) and definately makes it quieter and smoother. I notice the acceleration is more linear also.

One of the possible causes for failures of the injectors on the D5 is poor quality diesel, and as such I will only put in BP Ultimate (in the UK) or Shell V-Power (in France & Europe), both of which are the "premium" diesel fuels.

Doesn't make it any faster tho!

GATHY
Friday 3rd February 2006, 20:09
ill give it a go,, plus im gonna stick some common rail injector cleaner in to see if it just needs a spring clean having done 112k should be due one.

just had cambelt and tensioners done and a service for 140 quid i love my mate and genuine bits aswell so least off all i could put some nice fuel in ..

they sell red stuff at the local station 31p a litre lol

S60D5
Saturday 4th February 2006, 11:17
just had cambelt and tensioners done and a service for 140 quid i love my mate and genuine bits aswell so least off all i could put some nice fuel in ..

My main dealer only wants £173 for that!

GATHY
Saturday 4th February 2006, 13:48
My main dealer only wants £173 for that!

which dealers you go to ??
i got quoted £469+vat from harratts
cambelt and tensioner kit is £89 from my dealers never mind oil and filters and labour.my dealer wants more than that for a regular sevice never mind cambelt service

S60D5
Saturday 4th February 2006, 15:01
which dealers you go to ??
i got quoted £469+vat from harratts

Oh that was just for the cambelt alone, not the 96k service with it!

The dealer is Hapsted Horsham, although I don't use them as they're normally very dear!