PDA

View Full Version : Steering noise

S60D5
Thursday 2nd February 2006, 12:57
My S60 is making a funny noise on RIGHT hand turns when the steering wheel is on full lock. The noise can be described as a "knock" or mild "thump" about once every second or so whilst the car is moving. It has been known to do it when not quite on full lock either, but usually has to be full or very near full lock.

It seems to happen when cold more so than when hot, although this may just be a figment of my imagination!

Diagnosis?

arbee
Thursday 2nd February 2006, 13:12
Try the anti roll-bar, might be loose or ball joint snapped etc, had this on an old car and was a similar noise where it was knocking around

S60D5
Thursday 2nd February 2006, 13:27
Try the anti roll-bar, might be loose or ball joint snapped etc, had this on an old car and was a similar noise where it was knocking around

Sounds expensive!

swordy21
Thursday 2nd February 2006, 13:29
Suspects:-

Worn shock top mounts
Drop links worn
Anti roll bar ball joint
CV joint

Cheers

Jon

S60D5
Thursday 2nd February 2006, 13:33
Suspects:-

Worn shock top mounts
Drop links worn
Anti roll bar ball joint
CV joint

Cheers

Jon

Are these the sort of things I need to get looked at ASAP? I've got a 2000 mile trip coming up in 3 weeks time y'see!

John
Thursday 2nd February 2006, 13:49
My S60 is making a funny noise on RIGHT hand turns when the steering wheel is on full lock. The noise can be described as a "knock" or mild "thump" about once every second or so whilst the car is moving. It has been known to do it when not quite on full lock either, but usually has to be full or very near full lock.

It seems to happen when cold more so than when hot, although this may just be a figment of my imagination!

Diagnosis?
Knocking noise on full lock when car is moving is usually cv joint, check if there is any sign of grease around cv boots as often caused by boot being split and joint loosing its grease :B_steerin

swordy21
Thursday 2nd February 2006, 13:55
The suspension side, basically ain't gonna fall apart, just the noise will get worse over time. When I bought my V70 the suspension top mounts were completely kyboshed as were the drop links. Did about 7K in it before having the whole lot replaced. VT did this for me, about 2 hrs labour + parts + VAT.

CV joints I would check out as obvioulsy this is what carries the power to the wheels and if they let go could be a bit of a disaster. Ive had them go before on other cars and whilst the wheel stays on, gets very loud going round corners.

Mind you if you are changing suspension components may as well have a look at/change the CV joints at the same time as it all has to come apart to get the struts out.

Hope it works out

Cheers

Jon

Engineer
Thursday 2nd February 2006, 15:20
Check your lock stops as these can knock on full lock if not lubricated.

pdwb
Thursday 2nd February 2006, 16:04
this is freaky........ i have the same problem and was just about to post a thread asking for ideas........ with my T5 it happens with steering on full right lock and i ohly get one knock when i back off drive and then turn the wheels as i go over a very small (1 inch) drop down. if i back out with full left lock it doesnt do it but then it does when i put it on full right lock and pull forward...... sounds like something setting into place as it only does a single knock then no more........ just a little worring as like the first guy i too have a long drive comming up and want to know it will be ok, guess i better get down to pilling volvo.........

madness
Thursday 2nd February 2006, 17:53
suspension top mount.

GATHY
Thursday 2nd February 2006, 19:05
dont worry mine does it and it passed its test yesterday and its done it since ive had it
think its something to due with the tyre skipping on full lock due to the angle off both tyres on the road mines on 17 teethys and only does it going out of my drive on full lock(or near as damn it) (seems to skip on road like trackings out by 90%)
wheels rub on inner arch as well on full lock thats why volvo put a metal plate over the ££££ shields/arch liner to prevent it rubbing through the arch liner
im not worried my t4 did it but not as bad
must admit though the lock to lock is terrible it turns into a 3 point turn to get into parking spaces etc.

arbee
Thursday 2nd February 2006, 20:08
On a kind of related note, my 850 has creaky rear suspension, any ideas?

pdwb
Thursday 2nd February 2006, 22:40
ok, see if you can work this one out.......................... i jacked up the front, took the wheel off and had a good old shake of all that i could see, was expecting to find something working loose or not looking its best...... as i only got the car on monday i did expect to see new parts after some kind of accident in its past life and that i had inherited an old problem............ but found nothing to explain the noise......... i put the wheel back on, lowered the car down and when to the shops......... as i backed down the drive, not a sound, not a knock nor a bump.....so i drove back on and reversed again... nothing............. seems to have gone again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S60D5
Friday 3rd February 2006, 08:51
dont worry mine does it and it passed its test yesterday and its done it since ive had it
think its something to due with the tyre skipping on full lock due to the angle off both tyres on the road mines on 17 teethys and only does it going out of my drive on full lock(or near as damn it) (seems to skip on road like trackings out by 90%)
wheels rub on inner arch as well on full lock thats why volvo put a metal plate over the ££££ shields/arch liner to prevent it rubbing through the arch liner
im not worried my t4 did it but not as bad
must admit though the lock to lock is terrible it turns into a 3 point turn to get into parking spaces etc.

This is what I was secretly hoping!

I have the 17" Tethys wheels too - I'll put some 16's on it over the weekend and see if that stops it, if its still making the noise with the 16" (205/55) wheels on then I guess it rules out the wheels! If not, it's ££££ time for me I guess!

GATHY
Friday 3rd February 2006, 16:20
well if it time to part with some cash,,,tell me cause i must have to as well
lol

S60D5
Friday 3rd February 2006, 18:25
well if it time to part with some cash,,,tell me cause i must have to as well
lol

I'll let you know ;)

GATHY
Friday 3rd February 2006, 19:19
record it on your mobile and then post it on here so we can all have a listen ??
would this work ???

S60D5
Saturday 4th February 2006, 10:22
record it on your mobile and then post it on here so we can all have a listen ??
would this work ???

Might do, I'll put the 16" wheels on the front tonight and see if there is any difference. If its making a noise with the 16" wheels I guess I can rule out skipping or rubbing.

S60D5
Saturday 4th February 2006, 23:32
Ok, 16" wheels on and it doesn't make a noise at all on full lock, dancing round in circles this way and that in an empty carpark - not a peep.

So it was the 17" wheels rubbing! Kind of put me off 18" wheels now if even 17's rub!

signia
Tuesday 7th February 2006, 11:48
this is freaky........ i have the same problem and was just about to post a thread asking for ideas........ with my T5 it happens with steering on full right lock and i ohly get one knock when i back off drive and then turn the wheels as i go over a very small (1 inch) drop down. if i back out with full left lock it doesnt do it but then it does when i put it on full right lock and pull forward...... sounds like something setting into place as it only does a single knock then no more........ just a little worring as like the first guy i too have a long drive comming up and want to know it will be ok, guess i better get down to pilling volvo.........

yep, mine does the same thing. Going to get them to check it when it's in for the end of warranty check :)