PDA

View Full Version : Changing thermostat

gtiteen
Wednesday 1st February 2006, 15:20
I've just been down to volvo and picked up a new thermostat. I see I also need the silly little tool for the bolts, torx or something? I was also wondering do I need to drain the coolant when i do it or is that unecessary? Also where can i get hold of this torx tool?
Help much appreciated!
Dave

MattB
Wednesday 1st February 2006, 16:15
I bought a torx bit for my 3/4" drive ratchet - about £3 or £4?? from Halfrauds, when I changed my thermo in the summer. Also managed to do it without draing the coolant - although I did loose a bit. Wobbly has posted a very handy 'how-to' in the relevant section. I'll try and dig it out for you.

MattB
Wednesday 1st February 2006, 16:18
Found it - Click below...

Thermo Change Instructions (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4260&highlight=thermostat)

rottertron
Wednesday 1st February 2006, 16:21
I recently changed my thermostat, a relativley easy job. Wobbly Daves guide is really handy. Give me a shout if you need a hand. Also ive the correct torx bit if you want to borrow it.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 1st February 2006, 16:25
Dont forget to reconnect the fuel line!! OOPs!

racer
Wednesday 1st February 2006, 20:51
gtiteen : Just get a full set of Torx bits, they're all over the Volvos so you won't be wasting money.

Wobbly : Did you find out before or after the fuel pump came on? LOL !!

gtiteen
Wednesday 1st February 2006, 23:08
Cheers for all the advice chaps much appreciated, but ive taken the lazy route out as ever paying £20 for a mate to do it! I think i might get a set of torx bits as looking under there there does seem to be rather alot of them!
Thanks again,
Dave

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 2nd February 2006, 09:27
gtiteen : Just get a full set of Torx bits, they're all over the Volvos so you won't be wasting money.

Wobbly : Did you find out before or after the fuel pump came on? LOL !!
Ooops I dont believe I said

NugentS
Thursday 2nd February 2006, 13:29

:haha:

It was after and a somewhat hurried request to turn the engine off

Sean

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 2nd February 2006, 13:38
Sssshhh!! I thought we agreed you werent gonna say anything!!! LOL :hidesbehi:

siamblue
Thursday 2nd February 2006, 17:11
I've just been down to volvo and picked up a new thermostat. I see I also need the silly little tool for the bolts, torx or something? I was also wondering do I need to drain the coolant when i do it or is that unecessary? Also where can i get hold of this torx tool?
Help much appreciated!
Dave

Aldi are doing a screw driver set with lots of assorted bits, at £5.99 and they will have all of the torx bits you need,

Gary

racer
Thursday 2nd February 2006, 21:11
At £5.99, they will have all of the torx bits you need until you put some torque on them. I've had some very bad experiences with cheep tools (pnar pnar).

MattB
Saturday 4th February 2006, 01:40
At £5.99, they will have all of the torx bits you need until you put some torque on them. I've had some very bad experiences with cheep tools (pnar pnar).Me too! :slap:

NugentS
Saturday 4th February 2006, 21:54
Sssshhh!! I thought we agreed you werent gonna say anything!!! LOL :hidesbehi:

You opened the door (and cleaned part of the engine with petrol)

:doh:

Sean

LeeT5
Saturday 4th February 2006, 23:31

Changed mine without disconnecting it, you just need one of those wobbly extensions (no pun intended).