PDA

View Full Version : Rica Ecu Upgrades - Price Change!

volvotuning
Wednesday 1st February 2006, 10:03
Hi guys,

Courtesy of RICA HQ, we now offer a new lower price for the following models.

850 T5, T5R, R = £340 inc VAT for 280 bhp or 304 bhp versions.
C/S/V70 T5 and R = £340 inc VAT for 280 bhp or 310 bhp versions.

For 1998-1999 ME7 models, the price is £470 inc VAT.

Adam.

John
Wednesday 1st February 2006, 10:47
Should have waited for the January sales!

Andrew
Wednesday 1st February 2006, 13:08
Should have waited for the January sales!

Jubbly.

weasel
Wednesday 1st February 2006, 14:23
do you still a money back satisfaction guarantee? 8-)

siamblue
Wednesday 1st February 2006, 15:52
do you still a money back satisfaction guarantee? 8-)

Haha Weasel you'll want blood next lol, that is a cracking price though.
now TME or Rica is the question for me?

Gary

shiney
Wednesday 1st February 2006, 16:00
Hi guys,

Courtesy of RICA HQ, we now offer a new lower price for the following models.

850 T5, T5R, R = £340 inc VAT for 280 bhp or 304 bhp versions.
C/S/V70 T5 and R = £340 inc VAT for 280 bhp or 310 bhp versions.

For 1998-1999 ME7 models, the price is £470 inc VAT.

Adam.

How do these prices affect the offer you do of the exhaust and air filter too?
Also how long is fitting and how long in advance do I need to book it in?

Thanks.

BlackBeast
Wednesday 1st February 2006, 16:03
TME or Rica is the question for me?

Gary

Why did you sell the RICA ecu in the first place? Was there something wrong with it?

siamblue
Wednesday 1st February 2006, 16:11
Why did you sell the RICA ecu in the first place? Was there something wrong with it?

Hi BB i sold it because i am getting a 18T and thought that the ecu was not compatable with the 16T map, but Justin told me they are virtually identical, so i was a bit miffed when he told me,
nothing wrong with it,
But i went out with a TME at the weekend and the power delivery is not so much banshee style like the Rica it was progressive with a big chuck you back in your seat at 4k,
I just want something different, as the TME are around the £300 mark and the Rica was around the £550 mark at the time.

Gary

BlackBeast
Wednesday 1st February 2006, 16:17
Hi BB i sold it because i am getting a 18T and thought that the ecu was not compatable with the 16T map, but Justin told me they are virtually identical, so i was a bit miffed when he told me,
nothing wrong with it,
But i went out with a TME at the weekend and the power delivery is not so much banshee style like the Rica it was progressive with a big chuck you back in your seat at 4k,
I just want something different, as the TME are around the £300 mark and the Rica was around the £550 mark at the time.

Gary

:slap: I forgot to put a :D at the end of that question, sorry mate, as it was a joke, im very happy with my/your RICA :D .

IIRC when i spoke to Adam about something similar if you got the car up to him he could fiddle about with it and bring in the boost later in the rev range and of course make sure the fuelling and ignition maps were still safe.

siamblue
Wednesday 1st February 2006, 16:24
:slap: I forgot to put a :D at the end of that question, sorry mate, as it was a joke, im very happy with my/your RICA :D .

IIRC when i spoke to Adam about something similar if you got the car up to him he could fiddle about with it and bring in the boost later in the rev range and of course make sure the fuelling and ignition maps were still safe.

It's a option i am still thinking about, damn you guys for bringing your prices down lol.

Gary.

volvotuning
Wednesday 1st February 2006, 17:38
Yes, the ECU upgrade still comes with a 14 day satisfaction guarantee, so that hasn't changed. The package has changed slightly in that there is only on package available now, which is £599 inc VAT for any Bosch 4.3 or 4.4 ECU upgrade plus the exhaust. Check out our web site www.volvotuninguk.com and click on Special Offers.

Also, members here are still entitled to the 10% discount exclusive to the VPCUK.

Adam.

volvotuning
Wednesday 1st February 2006, 18:15
How do these prices affect the offer you do of the exhaust and air filter too?
Also how long is fitting and how long in advance do I need to book it in?

Thanks.

Check out the Special Offers page on our web site www.volvotuninguk.com

We need the car for approx 90 minutes for the upgrade, but you also need to allow some spare time should you have any problems that need resolving.

We normally only need 1-2 days notice, but occasionally we have a free slot and can fit people in on the same day they ring.

Adam.

arbee
Wednesday 1st February 2006, 23:55
Check out the Special Offers page on our web site www.volvotuninguk.com

We need the car for approx 90 minutes for the upgrade, but you also need to allow some spare time should you have any problems that need resolving.

We normally only need 1-2 days notice, but occasionally we have a free slot and can fit people in on the same day they ring.

Adam.

Appologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but now they are the same price, are there any disadvantages in going for the 304 over the 280 remap?

volvotuning
Thursday 2nd February 2006, 00:12
Appologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but now they are the same price, are there any disadvantages in going for the 304 over the 280 remap?

The 304 map does need 98 RON as it is optimised for it, whereas the 280 map will work fine on 95 RON. The 280 map is kinder on the tyres with the lower torque. The 304 map will show up problems with the components, such as ignition system, much more than the 280 map will. So if you are on a budget, I would recommend the 280 version even though it's the same price.

Adam.

Big-H
Thursday 2nd February 2006, 01:44
The 304 map does need 98 RON as it is optimised for it, whereas the 280 map will work fine on 95 RON. The 280 map is kinder on the tyres with the lower torque. The 304 map will show up problems with the components, such as ignition system, much more than the 280 map will. So if you are on a budget, I would recommend the 280 version even though it's the same price.

Adam.

what would happen to the ignition system? would any other components fail?
im planninng on re-mapping the ecu on a t5 after i have fitted an upgraded intercooler and exhaust. would i exceed that 304bhp???

Vikingxl
Thursday 2nd February 2006, 03:48
im planninng on re-mapping the ecu on a t5 after i have fitted an upgraded intercooler and exhaust. would i exceed that 304bhp???
Mine killed the plugs and two coils but they would have needed replacing fairly soon anyway i think.

volvotuning
Thursday 2nd February 2006, 10:13

unlikely. you'll need a different turbo to exceed that. In fact, an intercooler is probably the last thing you should think about changing because on the road they are more than capable of cooling the charge temps, something which can also be done with a more efficient turbo.

Nothing will fail as a direct result of the upgrade, but weaknesses will become apparent, such as poor ignition.

Adam.

mikezero
Thursday 2nd February 2006, 17:29
unlikely. you'll need a different turbo to exceed that. In fact, an intercooler is probably the last thing you should think about changing because on the road they are more than capable of cooling the charge temps, something which can also be done with a more efficient turbo.

not too sure about the intercooler bit!, if u accerate from 20-100 in my car, the turbo gets really hot, if u do it a couple of times, the car gets noticeable slower on each run u do, surely a better intercooler would solve the problem??

the_player
Thursday 2nd February 2006, 19:43
How much would I be looking at for a c70 t5 (2001). Wobbly Dave has recommended that I speak to you guys about this ;-)

volvotuning
Thursday 2nd February 2006, 21:01
not too sure about the intercooler bit!, if u accerate from 20-100 in my car, the turbo gets really hot, if u do it a couple of times, the car gets noticeable slower on each run u do, surely a better intercooler would solve the problem??

That's the difference between stating that an intercooler gives more power, and an intercooler sustaining power for longer.

Hence why I suggested that fitting a different intercooler is unlikely to help the car exceed 304, whereas it's more likely to be able to sustain it under various conditions.

A more efficient turbo on the other hand can achieve both!

Adam.

Engineer
Thursday 2nd February 2006, 21:36
You can’t cheat the physics of oxygen rich air flow, heat dissipation and the mass of volume pumped when talking about turbo charged engines, they must go hand in hand if you wish to produce reliable power outputs on a consistent basis, so by my reckoning you’re both right lol.

Example.

Garrett GT30R 500 horsepower.
Garrett GT40R 1000-plus horsepower.

"Garrett GT ball bearing turbos use the latest technology, through an aerodynamically advanced turbine that boost quicker, providing higher power".
"Garrett ball bearing turbochargers spool up to 15-percent faster than traditional journal bearing turbos and provide higher performance than our competitor's ball-bearing turbos. This produces an improved response and a broader powerband characteristic that can be converted to quicker 0-60 and quarter mile trap speeds."

No mention of the intercooler size required then to sustain this power over and above a 0-60 or ¼ mile time then, like, let’s say 24 hours at Le Mans.

volvotuning
Thursday 2nd February 2006, 21:46
No mention of the intercooler size required then to sustain this power over and above a 0-60 or ¼ mile time then, like, let’s say 24 hours at Le Mans.[/size][/font]

LOL, that is pretty much what I was referring too! :shifty:

Adam.

Engineer
Thursday 2nd February 2006, 23:06
LOL, that is pretty much what I was referring too! :shifty:

Adam.LMSO Adam, you should be in politics.

volvotuning
Thursday 2nd February 2006, 23:32
LMSO Adam, you should be in politics.

would the right honourable gentleman indicate in as concise a manner as is deemed possible that the policy on intercoolers and turbos is one which ought to be analysed carefully by an independently appointed VPCUK think tank?

:)

Adam.

craig
Friday 3rd February 2006, 00:37
:wtf: ........................

T5 Beginner
Friday 3rd February 2006, 14:48
good price for ecu upgrade could you run the 310 for the V70 on normal fuel with octane booster

neevo
Monday 6th February 2006, 18:16
If I got the 280 upgrade for 95 RON fuel what would happen if I stuck in some 98 fuel? Would it damage anything. I ask 'cos I'm a bit of a dope at times, when some moron rear-ended my Cav V6 and wrote it off I borrowed the company Suzi carryall van which uses 95 fuel, despite knowing this I ended up filling up 3 times with 98 and only realisinbg it after I drove out of the station. Didn't seem to do any good though.

Also do you at VT work Saturdays? If so are they booked ahead more than weekdays i.e. how far ahead would I need to book? Ta

p.s. I'm talking about a P reg 850 T5 (which means I cant use one of your franchises here in Yorks according to your website) in case that makes a difference.

volvotuning
Monday 6th February 2006, 18:46
If I got the 280 upgrade for 95 RON fuel what would happen if I stuck in some 98 fuel? Would it damage anything. I ask 'cos I'm a bit of a dope at times, when some moron rear-ended my Cav V6 and wrote it off I borrowed the company Suzi carryall van which uses 95 fuel, despite knowing this I ended up filling up 3 times with 98 and only realisinbg it after I drove out of the station. Didn't seem to do any good though.

Also do you at VT work Saturdays? If so are they booked ahead more than weekdays i.e. how far ahead would I need to book? Ta

p.s. I'm talking about a P reg 850 T5 (which means I cant use one of your franchises here in Yorks according to your website) in case that makes a difference.

On the 280 map it doesn't really matter which fuel you use. It's optimised for running with 95 RON. Using 98 won't damage it.

VT doesn't do tuning work on Saturdays or Sundays, but basic servicing and MOT can be done on Saturday mornings.

Adam.

neevo
Tuesday 7th February 2006, 00:42
On the 280 map it doesn't really matter which fuel you use. It's optimised for running with 95 RON. Using 98 won't damage it.

VT doesn't do tuning work on Saturdays or Sundays, but basic servicing and MOT can be done on Saturday mornings.

Adam.
Thanks for the info' Adam.
Will get in touch once I know when I can book time off work and also afford it! Must remember to get a discount code too!

Babybadger
Tuesday 7th February 2006, 14:14

Adam.

If I am running RICA 304 and optimised for 98 RON octane , will running 95 RON octane damage the engine, if so do you retrograde back to a 280 Map and how much is it?

volvotuning
Tuesday 7th February 2006, 15:04
If I am running RICA 304 and optimised for 98 RON octane , will running 95 RON octane damage the engine, if so do you retrograde back to a 280 Map and how much is it?

Yes it could potentially cause you problems especially if driven hard on 95 RON. I can downgrade it to the 95 RON map.

Adam.

V70Man
Tuesday 7th February 2006, 17:46
Oooh, the price is so tempting now. Think I might just have to upgrade.

Now all I need to do is simply explain to the wife that the car NEEDS it :remybussi

mraldonnelly
Tuesday 7th February 2006, 19:25
Now all I need to do is simply explain to the wife that the car NEEDS it :remybussi

LOL, or that the thingamybob has failed and needs replacing. "Volvo wanted over £700 to do the job but VT can do it for just £470 love, honest"!

LOL

craig
Tuesday 7th February 2006, 22:48
since you did the 280 remap for me adam ive been running it on optimax cos i thought this gave the best performance (bhp) so are you saying that i get more power with 95 ron fuel or that it makes no differance what i use ?

volvotuning
Tuesday 7th February 2006, 23:06
The 280 map is designed to run ok with 95 RON, so you don't need to use 98 RON like you do with the 304 map. There is no harm in running 98 RON on the 280 map though.

Adam.

pzorb
Tuesday 7th February 2006, 23:09
There is no harm in running 98 RON on the 280 map though

Any benefits? I was under the impression that I'd get better mpg and power.

volvotuning
Tuesday 7th February 2006, 23:24
ok, here's how it works -

High octane is all about minimising the onset of knock, so you can run the max performance. By tuning to a lower level of performance, you can get away with running on 95 RON because you won't get knock very often. But if you tune for higher level of performance, you need the 98 RON else the engine will knock probably all the time at WOT unless the ignition is retarded or the boost reduced.

In summary -

280 map with 95 RON = OK.
280 map on 98 RON = OK, + no knock ever, + probably better mpg.
304 map on 95 RON = very BAD, will knock all the time at WOT, and will cost you power.
304 map on 98 RON = OK and is required for the maximum performance and economy.

Adam.

pyrotechnictigger
Tuesday 7th February 2006, 23:35
So can I use optimax diesel on my 304 map in murphy's Skoda? :stupid: :haha:

volvotuning
Tuesday 7th February 2006, 23:37
So can I use optimax diesel on my 304 map in murphy's Skoda? :stupid: :haha:

of course! :slap:

oh and I put Murphy's car back to standard because it was too fast for his driving ability!

Adam.

volvotuning
Tuesday 7th February 2006, 23:40
One other thing pyro, do you know anything about Firework Factors fireworks?

Adam.

volvotuning
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 00:12
Any benefits? I was under the impression that I'd get better mpg and power.

If you want more power, upgrade to the 304 map, but then you will need to run it on 98 RON all the time.

Adam.

pyrotechnictigger
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 00:34
One other thing pyro, do you know anything about Firework Factors fireworks?

Adam.

Funny you should mention them. Heard a few little bits and pieces of late and I have used them a couple of times. Cant recommend them because their range just doesnt stack up against the competition. Have I mentioned my website? www.thebigfireworkshop.com? Shameless plug I know, sorry!

volvotuning
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 00:40
I used them for a display last year, and although a solid and reliable display, there wasn't anything spectacular in terms of effects.

I'll be in touch later in the year about this!

Adam.

Mike T5
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 19:36
My 94 T5 is well serviced and does not burn oil/overheat etc,but at 200k miles would a RICA upgrade kill it? :B_blite:

Babybadger
Thursday 9th February 2006, 17:27
My 94 T5 is well serviced and does not burn oil/overheat etc,but at 200k miles would a RICA upgrade kill it? :B_blite:

I would say just do the 280 one, its the torque that makes the difference on the RICA kit, I have a 304 kit on mine and its auto , so I don't really notice the power, but god do I notice the torque! If yours is a manual it may be different....Try a stage 0 upgrade first

Carlos13
Sunday 12th February 2006, 20:20
I have a 97R V70R AWD manual. Can anyone tell me which ECU I have, as I'm confused? The ME7 ecu is more expensive to map than the 4.4, is that right?

Thanks in advance!

volvotuning
Sunday 12th February 2006, 20:21
97R will have the Motronic 4.4 ECU.

Adam.