PDA

View Full Version : Stuttering/hesitation/jerking usually in 4th or 5th

gtiteen
Monday 30th January 2006, 22:21
When accelerating there is sometimes a violent jerking like an overboost problem. It usually only happens in 4th or 5th when going slow and flooring it. I have already tried turning down the MBC but this doesnt seem to have worked. I'm going to pop doen to the local volvo main dealer tomorrow to see if there are any fault codes.
Also i just looked on the rac vehicle data check and my car is registered as an 850glt... Is this right?! or is my insurance invaild :sick: !!
Cheers, Dave

siamblue
Monday 30th January 2006, 22:28
Which type of MBC is it and how is it fitted? can you get a pic of it up as i know our cars do not like the dawes type MBC's.
If you can get too Headcorn next Sunday there is a meet on and a lot of quick T5's will be there, and a S40 T4 which is going to be mapped for over wait for it

500 bhp with no NOS in site :)

Let me know and i can give you directions and i will have a look and can sort your car out if i an,

Gary

gtiteen
Monday 30th January 2006, 22:34
I think i should be able to get to headcorn next sunday, that would be good. I'll have to see how much money i got for petrol tho!! I'll whack another post up tomorrow afternoon as to my exact decision but i think i will come.
Dave

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 31st January 2006, 00:04
Sounds like your overboosting, I's suggest turning down your MBC slightly until you sort the problem out so that you dont cause any damage

x

LeeT5
Tuesday 31st January 2006, 00:12
When accelerating there is sometimes a violent jerking like an overboost problem. It usually only happens in 4th or 5th when going slow and flooring it. I have already tried turning down the MBC but this doesnt seem to have worked. I'm going to pop doen to the local volvo main dealer tomorrow to see if there are any fault codes.
Also i just looked on the rac vehicle data check and my car is registered as an 850glt... Is this right?! or is my insurance invaild :sick: !!
Cheers, Dave

Do you have a seperate boost guage? If so what are you boosting at b4 it cuts??

Also this could be a earth problem when engine under load. I have seen it b4 on other cars.

Dam it, i would have come to the Headcorn meet but i am working 8 til 1600.
When is the next Kent meet??

siamblue
Tuesday 31st January 2006, 02:00
Do you have a seperate boost guage? If so what are you boosting at b4 it cuts??

Also this could be a earth problem when engine under load. I have seen it b4 on other cars.

Dam it, i would have come to the Headcorn meet but i am working 8 til 1600.
When is the next Kent meet??

Don't know when the next one is, will keep you posted on what is going on,

Gary

Andy
Tuesday 31st January 2006, 12:16
Why not remove the MBC altogether and then see if the problems are occuring when the engine is running stock?

By doing this you can eliminate problems in due course, such as faulty Boost Control Solenoid (BCS) Split/Worn hoses etc....?

rottertron
Tuesday 31st January 2006, 12:50
Hi Dave,
You can borrow my code reader if your car has an OBDII port. Save you money going to the main stealer! PM me if you want to borrow it, as i should be around all week. Im also off to Heardcorn on sunday too!

gtiteen
Tuesday 31st January 2006, 16:26
I have tried turning down the MBC, whether or not i did it correctly im not sure! It still seems to be doing it. I am pretty sure i will remove the MBC as i feel there a bit of a liability for not much gain.
Just popped down to the main stealer (thought i was the only one who called them that!) and they quoted me £25 to read the fault codes!! Just to plug a machiene in! And im giving them £50 to put the wheel straight (new stering rack put on but the steering wheel wasnt aligned!)
I'm definitley heading up to headcorn now. Is there any chance you could bring your reader then or would you rather i popped down to you (rotterton)? I also dont know how to tell if its an OBDII port!
Dave

rottertron
Tuesday 31st January 2006, 16:49
Caffyns Volvo is a bit pricey, only ever got a few spares fom them, and my obligatory strut brace.

Not sure if your car has an OBDII port, my car has one being an S70, but I think only the later 850's were fitted with them. The conector is located under the armrest and under a little flap.
If you after the reader urgently, then feel free to try it out. Or if you want you can wait til the weekend.

siamblue
Tuesday 31st January 2006, 19:00
There will be a code reader you can use there for no charge, ;)
Will be a cracking day as usual.

Gary

LeeT5
Tuesday 31st January 2006, 21:51
Caffyns Volvo is a bit pricey, only ever got a few spares fom them, and my obligatory strut brace.

Not sure if your car has an OBDII port, my car has one being an S70, but I think only the later 850's were fitted with them. The conector is located under the armrest and under a little flap.
If you after the reader urgently, then feel free to try it out. Or if you want you can wait til the weekend.

S70 had the OBD socket in the center armrest but on 850's up to 1995 it is not OBD2 compliant. Diagnostic unit is behind the offside headlight, late 95 - 97 850 the OBD socket is under a rubber coin holder behind the gearshift.

Babybadger
Thursday 2nd February 2006, 01:01
I know it sounds silly,but check the air inlet pipe is secure, just by the horns at the front of the car. The last time I had my oil changed , they looked at how to change the intercooler oil as well, but bottled out, and forgot to put this nozzle back together leaving it loose. Got on the M20 and at about 80ish it sounded like it was 'missing' on one cylinder or something, like the old HT leads on an old Vauxhall. Then when I got back I found it was a loose inlet nozzle!

siamblue
Thursday 2nd February 2006, 10:39
I know it sounds silly,but check the air inlet pipe is secure, just by the horns at the front of the car. The last time I had my oil changed , they looked at how to change the intercooler oil as well, but bottled out, and forgot to put this nozzle back together leaving it loose. Got on the M20 and at about 80ish it sounded like it was 'missing' on one cylinder or something, like the old HT leads on an old Vauxhall. Then when I got back I found it was a loose inlet nozzle!

That is rediculous BB, I hope you asked for a refund? there are some right cowboys out there, but some just take your money and bull ya,
what the hell is I/C oil?

Gary.

t5owner
Thursday 2nd February 2006, 10:52
Yes come do tell i`d be interested to know what intercooler oil is as well

Or did they / you mean the oil cooler which has absolutley nothing to do with the intercooler but is a pig of a job to do

Cheers

Babybadger
Friday 3rd February 2006, 01:07
Yes come do tell i`d be interested to know what intercooler oil is as well

Or did they / you mean the oil cooler which has absolutley nothing to do with the intercooler but is a pig of a job to do

Cheers

Sorry my mistake :slap: :dunce: , it was the oil cooler, getting my terminology mixed up again. Does anyone know when it should get changed? It is a lubricant after all!

LeeT5
Friday 3rd February 2006, 17:33
Sorry my mistake :slap: :dunce: , it was the oil cooler, getting my terminology mixed up again. Does anyone know when it should get changed? It is a lubricant after all!

M8 if you mean the oil cooler then there are two. One for the engine oil and one for the tranny. Tranny oil i would say every major service ie Cambelt interval. Depends how you drive it. I think Volvo dont change it at all!!

gtiteen
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 22:35
Just to give everyone an update I believe I have found the problem. I say I but really mean the nice guys at the SW Autos meet last weekend!!
Its the MBC i think. We wound it down a bit and the problems lessened so im returning it to standard in that respect this weekend. Then possibly a remap and sell the upsolute chip. Then after that maybe put another MBC on in series with the BCS.
Dave

siamblue
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 22:57
Hi Dave hope you got home ok, nice meeting you and your friend,
See you again sometime,

Gary

gtiteen
Thursday 9th February 2006, 20:58
Thanks, it was good to meet all you aswell. Sorry i had to dart of but work called. We did pop back after our curry but you had all bu**ered off!! Lots of knowledge at these meets tho!!
Dave

LeeT5
Friday 10th February 2006, 00:58
Then after that maybe put another MBC on in series with the BCS.
Dave

Oh yeah, how you plum that in then.... i'm interested, cos i cant go past 10.5 psi without overboost cutting in?