View Full Version : oil loss

t5tart
Monday 30th January 2006, 12:05
this is really doing my head in

ok have donr the pcv
the rear main
the turbo return seal

she seems to not lose any oil on long motorway runs
but take her down the twisties afew times and the oil disappears ??

any ideas

I have a sneaky suspision its the turbo

how can i be sure its the turbo not valve guides etc

mraldonnelly
Monday 30th January 2006, 12:29
I reckon it's the turbo too.

If the turbo's worn you'll possibly lose oil when idling because the vacuum created can suck oil through into the air compressor part.

If you idle for a couple of minutes and then drive off, do you get any smoke out the back?

If the turbo is worn, when driving you've got boost pressure and therefore the oil won't be sucked through which would explain why you're not losing any oil on a run. Around town you'll be going from vacuum to pressure, vacuum to pressure etc so will lose oil during the vacuum stage of driving.

Not a very technical explanation I know but the best I could do.

Regards

Andy

t5tart
Monday 30th January 2006, 12:43
now its interesting you say that
because it seems to be doing to opposite
when on the motorway the boost is not used constant speed etc
seems to be losing more when the boost pressure is used

lol

god why do i always have this problem
everything with motors seems to work back to fron with me

mraldonnelly
Monday 30th January 2006, 12:48
But on the motorway isn't the buust guage needle roughly at the 12 o clock position? If so, the pressure / vacuum in the turbo is very similar to atmospheric and is therefore more or less neutral.

When the needle is to the left it has negative pressure (a vacuum) and when it's to the right it has positive pressure.

Not sure oil loss under boost would be worn turbo internals though. I thought worn turbo internals would only cause loss under vacuum. Ahhhh, unless the pressure from the turbo was escaping into the oil system thus causing excess pressure in the oil system which in turn forces the oil to escape from somewhere.

I ain't a mechanic, just trying to think of logical possibilities. Having said that, I've probably not said one logical thing above LOL.

regards

Andy

t5tart
Monday 30th January 2006, 13:09
But on the motorway isn't the buust guage needle roughly at the 12 o clock position? If so, the pressure / vacuum in the turbo is very similar to atmospheric and is therefore more or less neutral.

When the needle is to the left it has negative pressure (a vacuum) and when it's to the right it has positive pressure.

Not sure oil loss under boost would be worn turbo internals though. I thought worn turbo internals would only cause loss under vacuum. Ahhhh, unless the pressure from the turbo was escaping into the oil system thus causing excess pressure in the oil system which in turn forces the oil to escape from somewhere.

I ain't a mechanic, just trying to think of logical possibilities. Having said that, I've probably not said one logical thing above LOL.

regards

Andy

well as far as i remeber the turbo goes vac on the m/way .not that im really lookin with all the toss pots on there cutting you up

ill have a ook on the dual carriage way on the way home tonight

t5tart
Monday 30th January 2006, 13:10
oh and it doesnt seem to have boost leak either

who knows

its got me stumped

maybe time for some tracer dye in the oil to see if its going up the intercooler pipes

BlackBeast
Monday 30th January 2006, 13:12
Does it smoke at any time? Long idle, boost, over-run etc?

t5tart
Monday 30th January 2006, 13:15
seem to get a bit of smoke on first start up but nothing much ...... looks more like steam than anything when its warm soesnt seem to have any

gonna recheck it though

doesnt seem to be any when you floor it .
no over run

t5tart
Monday 30th January 2006, 13:32
buggin me so much just went out left hewr in tick over lots of steam and water from the exhaust ... no signs of oil though

no blue smoke not that I can see

but i an getting smoking from the dipstick tube again

even though i have done the pcv

starting to get to me

whose near northampton on weds lol

LeeT5
Monday 30th January 2006, 23:47
buggin me so much just went out left hewr in tick over lots of steam and water from the exhaust ... no signs of oil though

no blue smoke not that I can see

but i an getting smoking from the dipstick tube again

even though i have done the pcv

starting to get to me

whose near northampton on weds lol

Sounds like a blocked breather to me or you have overfilled it on top up.
The steam in the exhaust is normal and should disappear once warmed up. Same for the water dripping from the tailpipe (this is condensation).

However as far as oil loss goes, how much are we talking about here?? Take your plugs out and see what condition they are in. Should be beige in colour and dry with no pitting on the electrode. Could be the crankcase breather partially blocked. This will cause chuffing from dipstick. But i would do a compression test to eliminate engine internals ie worn pistons rings and dry, cracked valve stem oil seals.

TBH this is not something anyone can solve in a forum. The car has to be looked at and relevant tests done. Also does it leak oil on the floor??

t5tart
Tuesday 31st January 2006, 00:15
Sounds like a blocked breather to me or you have overfilled it on top up.
The steam in the exhaust is normal and should disappear once warmed up. Same for the water dripping from the tailpipe (this is condensation).

However as far as oil loss goes, how much are we talking about here?? Take your plugs out and see what condition they are in. Should be beige in colour and dry with no pitting on the electrode. Could be the crankcase breather partially blocked. This will cause chuffing from dipstick. But i would do a compression test to eliminate engine internals ie worn pistons rings and dry, cracked valve stem oil seals.

TBH this is not something anyone can solve in a forum. The car has to be looked at and relevant tests done. Also does it leak oil on the floor??

no oil on the floor

crank case breather system replaced.... unless the tube from the block itself is blocked ??

guess the littlew hole in the heater thingy could have blocked again

we are talking from full to 1/2 the dipstick in about 700 miles but the first 400 of that it didnt move at all

BlackBeast
Tuesday 31st January 2006, 00:32
What grade oil are you using?

t5tart
Tuesday 31st January 2006, 00:44
What grade oil are you using?

semi castrol magnatec 10w 40

BlackBeast
Tuesday 31st January 2006, 01:27
semi castrol magnatec 10w 40

Not the best, but its the right grade so i cant see it being a problem.

This is what gets me stumped and the reason for asking what grade oil you use. 'We are talking from full to 1/2 the dipstick in about 700 miles but the first 400 of that it didnt move at all'.

Redbrick
Tuesday 31st January 2006, 09:17
If I fill my car with oil to the top of the dip stick mark (Full), within 500 miles it will be down to half way- every time.

It always settles at the half way mark and I will only add about half a litre every 5000 miles.

I use 0-40 Mobil 1 and change it every 5000 miles.

t5tart
Tuesday 31st January 2006, 10:28
If I fill my car with oil to the top of the dip stick mark (Full), within 500 miles it will be down to half way- every time.

It always settles at the half way mark and I will only add about half a litre every 5000 miles.

I use 0-40 Mobil 1 and change it every 5000 miles.

maybe im over worrying then ...ill leave it a bit longer and see if it goes any lower this time

if it gets to the min line ill start to worry

LeeT5
Tuesday 31st January 2006, 14:22
maybe im over worrying then ...ill leave it a bit longer and see if it goes any lower this time

if it gets to the min line ill start to worry

I think maybe you are. Have you done a compression test?
I use castrol magnetec 10/40 also - not the best granted but then i cant afford to put mobil 1 in, besides i think its over rated. I have had 3 850's and 4 volvo 440 turbos and have used castrol 10/40 magnetec in them all. Never had a problem, better than sticking halfrauds ££££ in!!!!!!

If the oil is still brown in colour (be it dark) after 10k then all is well in the oil department. I top up about every 500 miles from 1/2 way to the top all the time. Turbo engines will naturally consume a little bit of oil anyway especially at the turbo bearing. If there is no blue smoke, and she passes an MOT then i really wouldnt worry. :)

PS dont let the oil level get to the minimum, only loosers do this, otherwise you'll be seeing me on the hard shoulder telling you your engines shagged!! :nono:

t5tart
Tuesday 31st January 2006, 14:31
I think maybe you are. Have you done a compression test?
I use castrol magnetec 10/40 also - not the best granted but then i cant afford to put mobil 1 in, besides i think its over rated. I have had 3 850's and 4 volvo 440 turbos and have used castrol 10/40 magnetec in them all. Never had a problem, better than sticking halfrauds ££££ in!!!!!!

If the oil is still brown in colour (be it dark) after 10k then all is well in the oil department. I top up about every 500 miles from 1/2 way to the top all the time. Turbo engines will naturally consume a little bit of oil anyway especially at the turbo bearing. If there is no blue smoke, and she passes an MOT then i really wouldnt worry. :)

PS dont let the oil level get to the minimum, only loosers do this, otherwise you'll be seeing me on the hard shoulder telling you your engines shagged!! :nono:

yer but isnt that excessive oil useage

LeeT5
Tuesday 31st January 2006, 14:37
yer but isnt that excessive oil useage

Not in my experience! Look dude you got two options imo...

1. As long as theres no oil on the floor, Live with it!!
2. Take it to a garage and get it compression tested then pending those results make a decision ie Live with it...or engine strip down, new seals, rings etc etc etc......How much you prepared to spend? Wont be cheap i can assure you.

Personally i would just carry on routine servicing and engine driving a T5 :B_steerin

t5tart
Tuesday 31st January 2006, 14:52
Not in my experience! Look dude you got two options imo...

1. As long as theres no oil on the floor, Live with it!!
2. Take it to a garage and get it compression tested then pending those results make a decision ie Live with it...or engine strip down, new seals, rings etc etc etc......How much you prepared to spend? Wont be cheap i can assure you.

Personally i would just carry on routine servicing and engine driving a T5 :B_steerin

ok just worrys me lol

old worry wort me when it comes to oil

Babybadger
Tuesday 31st January 2006, 14:59
ok just worrys me lol

old worry wort me when it comes to oil

You sound like me about me autobox lol! Prevention is better than cure on an expensive swede!

t5tart
Tuesday 31st January 2006, 15:03
You sound like me about me autobox lol! Prevention is better than cure on an expensive swede!

tell me about it

have already had the big end shells replaced where a careless previous owner obviously did something wrong

dont wanna go there again