PDA

View Full Version : V70R (P2) test drive

Wobbly Dave
Monday 30th January 2006, 02:00
Have to say that I had a bit of fun today test driving a 11K old V70R (in Black)

Felt very planted and the engine is just a beaut to hear and drive. Not so keen on the AT box - though I thought the geartronic was great. Still gonna hold out for a 6 speed manual though.

Integrated phone and sat nav. Fabulous. Want one like yesterday.

BlackBeast
Monday 30th January 2006, 02:05
Nice to see you putting that £2k to good use. What ever you do hold out for a manual, it would be a shame to get the auto, just my opinion.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 30th January 2006, 02:14
There was a bigger pause in the kick down than the one I used to get (immediate) in my 850R. Stratstone have 4 V70Rs at the moment. They are soooo cool! (the cars that is)

mraldonnelly
Monday 30th January 2006, 09:54
There was a bigger pause in the kick down than the one I used to get (immediate) in my 850R.

That's because it tries to be clever and "learn" your driving style - it's a real pain in the bum.

The SatNav rocks as does the integrated phone (which can also be used for the Volvo on Call system) but requires a separate sim card which is a pain in the bum because it means having two numbers unless you want to take your sim out of your mobile every time you get into the car.

If the kit is included then great but it ain't worth paying extra for IMHO (about £3k as an optional extra when new IIRC!). SmartNav and a bluetooth kit does the same thing for about £800.

Regards

Andy

mraldonnelly
Monday 30th January 2006, 09:54
Oh, did you try out the different suspension settings? How clever is that system???

Wobbly Dave
Monday 30th January 2006, 12:42
Yeah the 4C system is pretty cool too.

S60D5
Monday 30th January 2006, 12:46
pain in the bum because it means having two numbers unless you want to take your sim out of your mobile every time you get into the car.

Just phone your mobile service provider and ask for dual sims ?

mikezero
Monday 30th January 2006, 20:40
Still gonna hold out for a 6 speed manual though.

that could be a problem!, there like rocking horse sh*t mate

there are loads of manual S60R 's about, and i think there cheaper, would u consider a saloon, or is estate needed??

Andrew
Monday 30th January 2006, 21:39
How much was the V70R dave?

I want one next year.

Vikingxl
Tuesday 31st January 2006, 00:08
Glad you had fun Dave might drag myself down there tomorrow for a drive myself.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 31st January 2006, 01:24
There was 1 manual and 3 geartronic - all of them black - all around 11k miles - all about 1 year old and all about 33grand :jaw:

I might not buy one this year or even next. I still think that Stratstones pricing is taking the mikey.

Still wondering though if the pinnacle of the current Volvo range knows what it is?

Is it the ultimate car or the ultimate compromise. good at everything but not brilliant at any one?

The chassis is very clever - it is an entirely different beast to the previous R incarnations - but in these days of active Yaw control and electowhizz bangs - are the same cars in its class better? e.g Audi, BMW, Merc.
230 miles on a tank (mixed driving) for the AT is not really far enough.

Still I loved the solidity and the way it made me feel. With the low chinstrap spoiler on the front - they do look the muts nuts IMHO.

I think one of the driving factors is the better traction control and the haldex AWD. After my accident I think you'll all have to forgive me for feeling a bit vulnerable.

Andrew
Tuesday 31st January 2006, 08:32
230 miles on a tank (mixed driving) for the AT is not really far enough.

oh! I see another D5 convert coming through the mist :P

mikey
Tuesday 31st January 2006, 10:21
taking the mikey,lol....

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 31st January 2006, 10:54
taking the mikey,lol....
that's the polite way of putting it!

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 31st January 2006, 10:55
oh! I see another D5 convert coming through the mist :P
I hope that the manual version makes over 300. Over 300 is acceptable. And no I dont want a diesel.

jimmyc
Sunday 19th February 2006, 00:07
why not dave they are very quick especially if you chip them, 180 bhp not to be sniffed at lol

T5R+
Sunday 19th February 2006, 10:49
Only driven 1xV70R (last weekend in Wakefield Volvo dealer, £22K, in black, manual-6sd, loaded with kit, ) and was disappointed. To satisfy myself, I need to try another as everybody raves about them? I possibly sampled a poor example?

To be fair the car was much better "planted" than the PIs and naturally did not have the wheelspin out of T-junctions but the acceleration and stopping are not a million miles from my chipped T5 - have to concede that the car is more fluid through corners/bends.

Now is the time to buy these as many have been on forecourts since before Xmas.

mikezero
Sunday 19th February 2006, 16:36
the difference in speed between a chiped t5 and new v70r/s60r, is going to be the roughly the same, both have 300bhp, your not going to get knocked down by the speed of the thing

it will win in the corners, cos of 4c and awd, but u will never get close to the amount of grip the car generates in the corners, unless u take to a track!

on wet uk roads, the chipped t5's are going struggle to get the power down, so the awd drive helps that problem, it's all down to personal choice at end of the day