PDA

View Full Version : Throwing modification ideas into the pot - Thermal Gasket

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 29th January 2006, 19:23
In my dark hidden office I hide away looking at cars and modifications of an Eastern Origin....OK I like Skylines/200SX's etc....Anyway that's the confession over now to the sensible stuff...

Have a quick look at the link below.

Thermal Gasket link (http://www.passwordjdm.com/product.asp?P_ID=1031&strPageHistory=related)

It references the use of a thermal gasket to insulate the inlet manifold from the engine block.... I like the theory and have read many professional and a few unprofessional reports on this... suprisingly the all report a basic insrease in BHP...

I think 15BHP is a bit optimistic from some reports, but it seems to be a well established modification for Japanese cars both NA and Turbo models....what do you think....?

I've got my manifold off at the mo so I can use the original plastic gasket as a template to make myself one...

Tomcat
Sunday 29th January 2006, 19:30
Sounds plausible but what's the 'Secret' material they make the gaskette out of?

BigJC
Sunday 29th January 2006, 19:34
The VAG 1.8T boys n girls seem to like these gaskets. Here's some sales blab taken from an 'awesome' parts dealer:

Gives you more power in your 1.8T by reducing the temperature of the incoming air to your engine with an insulating gasket that radically reduces the heat transfer from the cylinder head to the intake manifold. This gives you cooler, denser air for more horsepower and performance from your engine.

Made from a high performance polymer, PowerGasket™ conducts on average less than 1/500th of the heat of the steel gasket that it replaces. Your intake manifold will stay 30-50° F cooler and your incoming air will stay 20-30° F cooler.

Cooler air, denser air, means more oxygen. Your engine sensors register these changes and will inject more fuel to give you more power. Cooler air also reduces detonation, so you can turn up the boost or advance your engine timing for even more performance gains.

PowerGasket™ has been designed for affordability, easy installation and no disruption to your manifold attachment and engine accessories. This means that you can simply swap your old intake manifold gasket for a PowerGasket. No buying longer bolts or installing multiple gaskets. In less than 2 hours, you will be enjoying a more powerful, better performing ride.

For the money it could be worth a try, I'd be interested to see what the VT chaps have to say, gimmick or not?

siamblue
Sunday 29th January 2006, 19:36
Sounds plausible but what's the 'Secret' material they make the gaskette out of?

Asbestos :rotfl: but you have to buy it in 5ft x 5ft sheets.

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 29th January 2006, 19:42
Ah well... Some companies manufacture their own Phenolic Material (Fancy word for themal insulating material). What your after is something like Tufnol Carp or Tufnol Whale..... which is usually used for the plastic block you normally see between a Carburettor and engine manifold... it is used because the material is really strong and can withstand heat without deforming

Then you've got a bit of guess work....
How thick should I make the gasket.... 1-2mm or 5-6mm (or thicker..?)

If someone is bored they could always look into how many gaskets there are in the volvo range they I could get them made professionally (it's quite basic CNC programming)....