PDA

View Full Version : Fix for DIM/DIP! Switch off those lights once and for all! Easy!

pzorb
Sunday 29th January 2006, 14:16
For those of us with cars circa 1995/6 who cannot switch off the day running lights, regardless of the headlight grub screw...

THERE IS A SOLUTION!
and it only takes 10 minutes at most!

Open the bonnet, and locate the fuse box. Remove the lid on the fuses. Then unscrew the four torx screws, and pull the black plastic up and off. It should look like this:
http://www.pzorb.com/albums/Volvo/IMAGE_00089.thumb.jpg (http://www.pzorb.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=Volvo&id=IMAGE_00089)http://www.pzorb.com/albums/Volvo/IMAGE_00090.thumb.jpg (http://www.pzorb.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=Volvo&id=IMAGE_00090)

Then, remove the green relay by pulling it up:
http://www.pzorb.com/albums/Volvo/IMAGE_00134.thumb.jpg (http://www.pzorb.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=Volvo&id=IMAGE_00134)

Next locate the pin "56B", and get some thin nose pliers. Bend the pin flat:
http://www.pzorb.com/albums/Volvo/IMAGE_00135.thumb.jpg (http://www.pzorb.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=Volvo&id=IMAGE_00135)

Plug the relay back in. Switch the grub screw over to \ if you want all the lights off.

You're now ready for some HIDs! WOOOOOHOOOOO

Many, many thanks to Simon who gave me the info here:
http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=15305

Disclaimer: you're removing pins from a rather crucial relay, based on the advice from some bloke off the 'net. It worked for my 1996 Volvo 850 T5 Estate, but if you're not sure ring round to see how much a new/used relay will cost.

siamblue
Sunday 29th January 2006, 17:30
Nice one Martin and Simon, It's great when you beat these little issues :)

Gary

Tomcat
Sunday 29th January 2006, 17:31
Can we have this put in the 'How To' section so its there for everybody to see. Well done that man!

Andy
Sunday 29th January 2006, 20:23
Cheers Pzorb!

What happens though if you have a 1994 850 without the grub screw?

I'd like my lights off during the day!!

pzorb
Sunday 29th January 2006, 20:33
Hmmn, I wouldn't like to say! The problem with mine was that somewhere between the switch and the lights a dim/dip relay was stepping in and powering the lights. Even without the switch plugged in, the lights would still be on.

I'd prise the switch out of the dash, and unplug it. Then see what the lights do when the car's electrics are started with the key. The pictures on this link might help.
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5040

If they stay off, then you're looking at new wiring at the switch end. You might get lucky and find that a newer switch sorts the problem. If they stay on, then it's somewhere else - maybe try the same trick with the relay pin... but I'd ask around to see if anyone else knows.

Good luck! Keep us posted too!

LeeT5
Sunday 29th January 2006, 20:47
Cheers Pzorb!

What happens though if you have a 1994 850 without the grub screw?

I'd like my lights off during the day!!

get a new headlight switch for a late 850 ie '96 from main dealer (thats what i did) and problem solved. :)

Also this seemed to cure the daylight running lights problem! So for me i didnt need to muck about busting expensive relays. BTW get a price for a new relay b4 you mod cos you might think twice...they aint cheap :frown:

Andy
Sunday 29th January 2006, 20:57
get a new headlight switch for a late 850 ie '96 from main dealer (thats what i did) and problem solved. :)

Also this seemed to cure the daylight running lights problem! So for me i didnt need to muck about busting expensive relays. BTW get a price for a new relay b4 you mod cos you might think twice...they aint cheap :frown:

Thanks mate, I will speak to salvo and see if they can send me one up.

LeeT5
Monday 30th January 2006, 01:57
Thanks mate, I will speak to salvo and see if they can send me one up.

:B_thumb: no probs.

t5tart
Monday 30th January 2006, 15:52

how much was the switch ?

Vikingxl
Monday 30th January 2006, 16:32
Glad you finally got it sorted.

LeeT5
Monday 30th January 2006, 22:09
how much was the switch ?

Sorry no. But the figure of £30 something quid rings a bell.

Andy
Thursday 2nd February 2006, 19:09
Sorry no. But the figure of £30 something quid rings a bell.

Sounds about right through the likes of salvo etc.

Andy
Thursday 9th February 2006, 11:59
I done what Pzorb suggested this morning i.e. removed the headlight switch and started the car up.

I took the switch off with the headlight switch in 0. The only lights left on with the switch disconnected were the side lights in the main headlamp.

What does this mean then?

I checked the relay and mine is identical to the one in the pictures on this post.
I have ordered a 1996 switch with the grub screw to see if that turns the lights off (like lee suggested) but if this does not work then i think i might be inclined to snap the little leg off the relay (as long as i have a spare relay handy :))

S60D5
Thursday 9th February 2006, 12:05
Andy when we going to get some pics of her then?

Andy
Thursday 9th February 2006, 12:09
Andy when we going to get some pics of her then?

I'll get some today mate. Been working but am off now so have no excuse.

I'll go wash her (even though its baltic cold) and get some pics :D

S60D5
Thursday 9th February 2006, 12:11
I'll get some today mate. Been working but am off now so have no excuse.

I'll go wash her (even though its baltic cold) and get some pics :D

Look forward to them mate!

pzorb
Thursday 9th February 2006, 12:25
The only lights left on with the switch disconnected were the side lights in the main headlamp.

i think i might be inclined to snap the little leg off the relay

Sounds to me like the switch isn't fully in charge of the lights. Mine did the same without the switch plugged in, main beam stayed on. I hope the new switch sorts out your problem, or you'll have a new light switch with a novelty screw on it! Your car seems to be younger than when DIM/DIP regulation was breifly introduced; certainly if you have the additional module it's pin bending time. It's just so annyoing that for whatever reason Volvo have reworked the wiring at least three times in as many years!

Remember, you don't need to snap that pin off. Bending it offers you the chance to unbend it! Just be gentle.

Personally, I'd try bending the relay pin first before ordering the switch but hey you might break it off I guess and I'm assuming these aren't cheap. Disclaimer!

Keep us posted!

Andy
Thursday 9th February 2006, 13:31
The switch was only a tenner so i've scored on that one! :D

Andy
Saturday 11th February 2006, 19:23
Pzorb,

Just to keep you updated.

I got the new switch through the post this morning and tried it straight away the results were as follows:

The lights would stay on regardless when the switch was unplugged.
The only effect the grub screw would have is to turn the parking lights off.

Anyway the lights didn't turn off with the new switch so I got the needle nose pliers out.

56B pin was bent in and VOILA!!! Sorted! :D Very Happy.

Thank you for the help.

LeeT5
Sunday 12th February 2006, 02:12
Pzorb,

Just to keep you updated.

I got the new switch through the post this morning and tried it straight away the results were as follows:

The lights would stay on regardless when the switch was unplugged.
The only effect the grub screw would have is to turn the parking lights off.

Anyway the lights didn't turn off with the new switch so I got the needle nose pliers out.

56B pin was bent in and VOILA!!! Sorted! :D Very Happy.

Thank you for the help.

:) Worth a shot though. (switch)

Andy
Sunday 12th February 2006, 17:11
:) Worth a shot though. (switch)

Oh deffo :D

V70Man
Wednesday 15th February 2006, 16:55
A coupple of questions:

1: I have a 2000 V70, and there doesn't appear to be any difference in brightness between position 1 and 3, only 2 is different as this is the parking lights. Is it just me?

2: Could insurance companies get a bit funny in the event of a crash if I modify my car to turn the lights off during the day? I know it may sound picky but I know what some companies can be like.

Thanks.

Andy
Wednesday 15th February 2006, 19:16
A coupple of questions:

1: I have a 2000 V70, and there doesn't appear to be any difference in brightness between position 1 and 3, only 2 is different as this is the parking lights. Is it just me?

2: Could insurance companies get a bit funny in the event of a crash if I modify my car to turn the lights off during the day? I know it may sound picky but I know what some companies can be like.

Thanks.

If I remember correctly position 1 is lights off? Number 3 is lights on and number 2 is parking lights only.

The reason your lights are the same in position 1 is because they have been set to come on automatically (even though there in the off position).

Insurance companies may get a bit picky, but seen as the lights off job on a V70 2001 can only be done at the dealers who's to say they done that by accident, if you know what i mean ;)

Besides the insurance company couldn't tell if you turned the lights off anyway. Just plead ignorance.

Ian.S
Friday 3rd March 2006, 16:40
Excellent mod, just the ticket, tyvm :B_thumb:

markbolts
Monday 4th August 2008, 12:48
just got my 1st t5 sat,and have sucessfully modded the grandad lights!!!thanks a bunch guys!!!will be addin pics soon so lookout!

Rufe
Monday 4th August 2008, 14:51
i personaly wouldnt worry about the insurance company... insurance companies cant force you to drive with lights on in the day

early cars had the tiny switch on the headlamp switch so you could decide if you wanted day runners or not, later cars have an option that the dealer can turn them off, for a cost of course, and doing that wouldnt invalidate any insurance. Ignornace is bliss though as they say, so if you are worried, then say the car came like that.