PDA

View Full Version : De Police-ing

racer
Sunday 29th January 2006, 00:47
Been doing cosmetic stuff to the new(er) V70 today. First off, swapped the seats over from the old one. There's an alarming amount of explosives in Volvo seats guys! I was VERY careful with the safety clips.

Next thing on the agenda was to install the hands free kit. Dropped the passenger side trim panel whipped out the glove box and found the European Spare Cable Mountain. I kid you not there's masses of it. Two multicores running from the engine bay to the tailgate. Two power cables running to the left side of the luggage bay. Power cable running to the centre arm rest. Two single cores running to either side of the luggage bay. Lots of stuff inside the tailgate, including a tilt switch. Yet another power cable and multicore run up the left side of the windscreen and into the head lining. Six relays no longer connected to anything. Finally a length of fibre optic cable running from somewhere in the roof to the centre console. What on earth was the fibre optic for?

There was miles of it. Both arms needed to carry the pile of redundant cable off to the bins. There's at least 4kg of the stuff!!!

After all that it started to get too dark, so the hands free install has got as far as fitting the microphone and that's it.

I'm beginning to go off this ex-pc malarkey!

Tomcat
Sunday 29th January 2006, 00:58
Lol. that brings back memorys,have you checked under the roof lining as well?, I spent ages de policing mine, and just when you think you've finished you'll find something else!!.

riedquat
Sunday 29th January 2006, 00:58
I'd hazard a guess that the fibre was either originally used for the camera feed to the console or for the video uplink system to the police chopper.

racer
Sunday 29th January 2006, 01:04
Camera feed? Video Uplink FFS?? What have I got? MI5 spec police car?
AARRRRGGHHH

<FX: Looks behind side lights for machine guns>

riedquat
Sunday 29th January 2006, 01:08
dunno about the guns, but if you'd been careless with the explosives you'd have ended up with an ejector seat :)

seriously tho, if it was an ex-traffic car then some of them contain a system to transmit video pictures from a pursuit to an over head chopper with can be relayed back to the police control centre.

racer
Sunday 29th January 2006, 18:10
Victory! Hands free kit installed. Tomcat, you were absolutely right. Just when I thought I'd seen it all off, some more redundant wiring reared its ugly head from under the steering column.

One plus side to the ex-pc thing, there were four holes in the trim which matched up with the holes in the phone mounting!!

riedquat, I didn't know they could "real time" video about the place like that. Still, judgeing from the quantity of cable, if they could do it, my car was equiped for it.

Al115
Sunday 29th January 2006, 18:51
Mate, I found AMMUNITION in mine. You got off lightly!!!

Agree about the cables, BTW.

racer
Monday 30th January 2006, 15:03
SPOOK ! :jaw: