PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust fumes problem

JimboT5
Friday 27th January 2006, 18:26
Hi all,

I've noticed over the time I've owned my T5 (around 2 months) that there is the smell of exhaust fumes in the cabin when I turn the blower on, and it's especially bad when stationary. I thought nothing of it for a while but my mum and sister both say it smelt fumey inside when I first got it and just recently it's started to irritate my chest and make me cough. I've grounded the car for the weekend and I'm taking it too my local garage on Monday but can anyone shed any light on why this maybe so I can give them some pointers?

Cheers! :)

*Cough splutter hack!*

fraz13
Friday 27th January 2006, 18:41
Its more than likely to be the Turbo return seals

S60D5
Friday 27th January 2006, 18:51
Hi James!

You haven't been on MSN for a while! I have some car related news for you!

Anyway - I took the car into Charlwood Volvo for this same problem, they changed the pollen filter which helped a tad, but the fumes were still there. They did a full investigation and just said the engine was fumey and they could find no fault? I found it tended to happen only after a run when the car was sitting at idle - is this still the case? I dont think its exhaust fumes, its just very petroly!?

Many seals were replaced when the engine was out of the car, but I cant remember which ones - they should be on the invoice (the rather large one!) you have in the file!

Straker
Friday 27th January 2006, 18:53
Definately sounds like an exhaust leak of somekind. The gas gets inot the engine bay then is drawn into the cabin when you turn on the HVAC (fan).

Get under the hood and see if you can hear where the leak is coming from. Alternatively you might be able to see the black carbon deposits around the hole especially if it's been doing it for a while. When you think you have it if you can cover the hole with very soapy water and the bubbles will give it away.

Good luck.

Straker
Friday 27th January 2006, 18:55
No offence but they should have traced the fault. No exhaust gas or fumes should ever get into the cabin. See if you can find the leak yourself as per my last post.

Hi James!

You haven't been on MSN for a while! I have some car related news for you!

Anyway - I took the car into Charlwood Volvo for this same problem, they changed the pollen filter which helped a tad, but the fumes were still there. They did a full investigation and just said the engine was fumey and they could find no fault? I found it tended to happen only after a run when the car was sitting at idle - is this still the case? I dont think its exhaust fumes, its just very petroly!?

Many seals were replaced when the engine was out of the car, but I cant remember which ones - they should be on the invoice (the rather large one!) you have in the file!

siamblue
Friday 27th January 2006, 18:58
Did all the early 850's have a pollen filter? might explain the fumes.

gazjacko
Friday 27th January 2006, 19:09
I have a 'petrol' smell when at idle. I thought it was from the replacement fuel pump as the excess fuel is returned to the tank, but I refitted it with a new gasket and the smell is still there.
The gasket was a bugger to fit but I'm fairly sure its on OK so now i'm looking elsewhere for the source.
the only other smell I've had is the 'old socks' one from the A/C

JimboT5
Friday 27th January 2006, 20:16
Thanks for the replies!

I'm inclined to think it's an exhaust fault to since it's not really a petrol smell as much but smells of burnt fuel and is a bit more unpleasant. I had a bit of a petrol smell in my old Cavalier and it was usually fine but this is actually making my chest hurt so I'm inclined to think it's a bit more noxious then fuel vapour. I’ll have a look in the engine bay but as for inspecting the exhaust I need to take it down to my local garage and get them to put it up on the ramp.
I take it any exhaust leak from the manifold or around the engine will give it’s self away as a ticking or blowing type noise? Hopefully nothing major as I have no money and am planning a very expensive holiday! :slap:

Straker
Friday 27th January 2006, 21:39
If it's as bad as you say (chest pains, coughing, passengers won't travel in the car with you) then chances are it will be easy to spot. As I said should be audible, hard to describe (other than a blowing sound?!?!) but get a torch out and chek for the black deposits.

Thanks for the replies!

I'm inclined to think it's an exhaust fault to since it's not really a petrol smell as much but smells of burnt fuel and is a bit more unpleasant. I had a bit of a petrol smell in my old Cavalier and it was usually fine but this is actually making my chest hurt so I'm inclined to think it's a bit more noxious then fuel vapour. I’ll have a look in the engine bay but as for inspecting the exhaust I need to take it down to my local garage and get them to put it up on the ramp.
I take it any exhaust leak from the manifold or around the engine will give it’s self away as a ticking or blowing type noise? Hopefully nothing major as I have no money and am planning a very expensive holiday! :slap:

arbee
Friday 27th January 2006, 23:32
I'd guess it was at the seal to the turbo, the metal to metal leaks tend to blow. Is there anything audiable?

fraz13
Friday 27th January 2006, 23:35
I'd guess it was at the seal to the turbo, the metal to metal leaks tend to blow. Is there anything audiable?
Glad someone agree's with me lol

Is the car leaking oil around the back of the engine? If so thats deffo your problem...

JimboT5
Friday 27th January 2006, 23:38
I'll check it out tomorrow and have a thorough look for all the symptoms you've described. I just hope it's something simple or I'm just going to drive it into a big pond.

arbee
Friday 27th January 2006, 23:46
Glad someone agree's with me lol

Is the car leaking oil around the back of the engine? If so thats deffo your problem...

Only say that coz I noticed mine is doing the same occassionally! on a dark cold night you can sometimes see a small leak!

fraz13
Saturday 28th January 2006, 13:04
My green car used to stink an idle i.e sitting at lights but as soon as you were moving it would clear up, It got worse with the heaters on the fresh air mode thingmi but if it was on recirculating the air in the cabin mode thingmi it was better....

It was the turbo oil return seals so thats where I would start, its a common fault on these engines, Afaik its a stoopit cheap rubber seal thats around 50p lol and not to hard to do yourself