PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Strut Brace

LeeT5
Thursday 26th January 2006, 23:00
:) Well i went along to my local stealer today and purchased myself an Aluminium Strut brace for £68. Fitted it this afternoon and went for a spin......................

:B_steerin

:wow: ABSOLUTELY AWESOME.

Firstly i noticed that the steering wheel wants to center quicker and reacts quicker. Then i also noticed that the front suspension feels slighty more stiffer. A few miles later and a few quick pull aways and it was immediately apparant that the huge amounts of torque steer i had have virtually gone. Its quicker off the mark cos theres less wheel spin.

I know there is a thread about these somewhere but i just wanted to tell everyone that was thinking about getting one to do it. I was very suprised at the difference it makes. :banana:
It even comes complete with 6 new lock nuts for the top mount.

Crazy Eddie
Thursday 26th January 2006, 23:20
Got to agree there thought I would give one a go, after all only £68 so what harm could it do.

Seems much improved especially when in the twisties cheaper than whole suspension mod by far aswell!!
:)

fireclown
Thursday 26th January 2006, 23:58
best mod i put on mine for the money.

LeeT5
Friday 27th January 2006, 00:12
best mod i put on mine for the money.

Well for me best mod was the MBC for £21. Although they can be a bitch to set up, once sorted they are very good. In the winter i have mine turned down to about 8 psi to control alot of wheelspin. In the summer i crank it up to 11.

Free horses - say no more :)

Vikingxl
Friday 27th January 2006, 07:45
Fitted my strut brace the other week but havent really been able to check out the differences yet.

Crazy Eddie
Friday 27th January 2006, 09:11
Well for me best mod was the MBC for £21. Although they can be a bitch to set up, once sorted they are very good. In the winter i have mine turned down to about 8 psi to control alot of wheelspin. In the summer i crank it up to 11.

Free horses - say no more :)

Lee please excuse me if this is a silly question but what is MBC and how does it work?
Guessing some kind of boost control?
Thanks
Eddie

Wobbly Dave
Friday 27th January 2006, 09:51
Lee please excuse me if this is a silly question but what is MBC and how does it work?
Guessing some kind of boost control?
Thanks
EddieLook here...
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7280

MBC is a Manual Boost Controller. It is a spring-loaded valve usually spliced in to the vacuum pipe between the Boost Control Solenoid (BCS) and the wastegate actuator. Usually the car's brain (ECU) tells the BCS (an electromagnetic valve) to allow a vacuum into the actuator (a diaphragm connected to a rod)
which in turn pulls open the wastegate (allowing pressure in the turbo to drop).

The spring loaded valve interupts the pull of air, keeping the wastegate shut for longer (generating bigger boost). The spring is set to a specific tension in the MBC equivalent to a given pressure. Once reached the spring is forced back and the ball bearing, that forms the door of the valve allows air into the actuator.

If you want to know how the turbo/wastegate thing works then read this article on forced induction here...
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm

Babybadger
Friday 27th January 2006, 10:06
Just had a look at this -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8032885312&sspagename=ADME%3AL%3ARTQ%3AUK%3A1

....and its $85 + $25 shipping to the UK and that works out at the current £-$ ratio of 1 - 1.78 = £61.79

It does look nice and mine is a left hooker

Babybadger
Friday 27th January 2006, 10:09
:) Well i went along to my local stealer today and purchased myself an Aluminium Strut brace for £68. Fitted it this afternoon and went for a spin......................

:B_steerin

:wow: ABSOLUTELY AWESOME.

Firstly i noticed that the steering wheel wants to center quicker and reacts quicker. Then i also noticed that the front suspension feels slighty more stiffer. A few miles later and a few quick pull aways and it was immediately apparant that the huge amounts of torque steer i had have virtually gone. Its quicker off the mark cos theres less wheel spin.

I know there is a thread about these somewhere but i just wanted to tell everyone that was thinking about getting one to do it. I was very suprised at the difference it makes. :banana:
It even comes complete with 6 new lock nuts for the top mount.

Whats involved. Is it just bolt it on or do you have to jack the car up and undo this , strip that etc.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 27th January 2006, 10:34
It comes as 3 parts - 2 "Feet" sections that bolt ontop of the suspension turrets and a central bar as featured in this pic

http://www.bigredvolvos.co.uk/images/rayannaJan2005/B52324FT.jpg

All you have to do is undo the 3 nuts that hold the top mount and sit the loosely connected feet (finger tight) and sit it ontop of the turrets. You then tighten each one up a bit at a time. Finally you tighten the bolts that attach the feet to the bar.

The kit comes with instructions. The only issue I can see is if you dont have a torque wrench to do the nuts up to the right tension.

Mrsmopp
Friday 27th January 2006, 10:39
Anyone thinking of buying one might want to take advantage of Marshall's 15% off parts offer that they have running for the forum at the moment ;)

x

LeeT5
Friday 27th January 2006, 17:38
Anyone thinking of buying one might want to take advantage of Marshall's 15% off parts offer that they have running for the forum at the moment ;)

x

Yeah. Do as Dave said. Takes about 15minutes tops. You need a 13mm socket and ratchet and a 14mm spanner for the job. Oh and a torque wrench if u have one but not essential. If you use spanners alot then you can do them up tight enough but not too tight!!

I'm on good tems with my main stealer and get Trade discount but all main dealers offer a 10% discount for cars over 6 years old anyway i think?

Mrsmopp
Friday 27th January 2006, 18:05
but all main dealers offer a 10% discount for cars over 6 years old anyway i think?

If only!!

x

LeeT5
Friday 27th January 2006, 21:44
Lipscomb Volvo in Bearsted, Maidstone do 10% discount on older motors just ask. This includes all parts and servicing, MOTs etc. Speak to Arthur or Rachael. :)

I think your car has to be older than 6 years and done more than 60k.

S60D5
Friday 27th January 2006, 22:21
Lipscomb Volvo in Bearsted, Maidstone do 10% discount on older motors just ask. This includes all parts and servicing, MOTs etc. Speak to Arthur or Rachael. :)

I think your car has to be older than 6 years and done more than 60k.

Thats the supplying dealer for my S60 I think.

Babybadger
Friday 27th January 2006, 23:17
Yeah. Do as Dave said. Takes about 15minutes tops. You need a 13mm socket and ratchet and a 14mm spanner for the job. Oh and a torque wrench if u have one but not essential. If you use spanners alot then you can do them up tight enough but not too tight!!

I'm on good tems with my main stealer and get Trade discount but all main dealers offer a 10% discount for cars over 6 years old anyway i think?

Does anyone know what the torque settings are?

chriskay
Friday 27th January 2006, 23:21
Does anyone know what the torque settings are?
Tells you in the fitting instructions I think.

Babybadger
Monday 30th January 2006, 15:29
Just had a look at this -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8032885312&sspagename=ADME%3AL%3ARTQ%3AUK%3A1

....and its $85 + $25 shipping to the UK and that works out at the current £-$ ratio of 1 - 1.78 = £61.79

It does look nice and mine is a left hooker

Well just found out from Marshalls that delivered to my door , Volvo Strut Brace is £120! Thats because they have to ship them from Sweden. So i think it will be one of the above!

t5tart
Monday 30th January 2006, 15:43
bloody hell

Bells did mine for about £70 ok i had to pick it up 15 mile round trip lol

i could do ya one for £100 and still make a profit thats bloody stupid £120 rip off

volvolised
Monday 30th January 2006, 19:38
Well just found out from Marshalls that delivered to my door , Volvo Strut Brace is £120! Thats because they have to ship them from Sweden. So i think it will be one of the above!
Hey BB,
parts for volvo do two different strut braces and one of them is for left handers i think for 70 ish quid if not go direct to the omp site and i think itspart no OMP1730

LeeT5
Monday 30th January 2006, 20:55

:jaw: £120.......RIP OFF. I bought my genuine aluminium strut brace from Volvo main dealer last week and it cost me.......£68.18 inc 10% discount for being a regular. (do the mathes).

You could buy a new set of 40mm lowering springs from Kilen (which i did and recieved today) for £109.

Babybadger
Tuesday 31st January 2006, 15:51
Hey BB,
parts for volvo do two different strut braces and one of them is for left handers i think for 70 ish quid if not go direct to the omp site and i think itspart no OMP1730

Many thanks I will look into it, more worried about the ATF in my autobox at the moment!