PDA

View Full Version : Off to the garage

pyrotechnictigger
Thursday 26th January 2006, 20:56
Nothing major, but having brake fluid and gearbox oil replaced next week. Not worth getting my hands dirty for the £50 quoted by local garage! Goodbye soggy brake pedal:)

fireclown
Thursday 26th January 2006, 21:23
if thats all you have been quoted its a bargain. gearbox oil cost me 47.00 from volvo. make sure they use the right stuff.

Vikingxl
Thursday 26th January 2006, 21:40
Hope it feels better when you get it back mate

mraldonnelly
Thursday 26th January 2006, 22:04
PTT,

As fireclown says, make sure they use the proper gear oil - the Volvo stuff is apparently the only stuff you should use and it's not like the usual gear oil. It costs something like £15 a litre and you need..... get this......

......2.1 litres. WTF is that all about? Why not sell it in 2.2 litre containers then? Oh, hang on, got it, so you have to buy three!

I've got three in my boot at the moment actually - must get round to changing the oil.

Regards

Andy

pyrotechnictigger
Thursday 26th January 2006, 22:47
Watched the guy look it up on his posh new car parts data system. 5W30 synthetic oil on their spec sheet! Checking manual as soon as I find it. NEVER MOVE HOUSE :slap:

fireclown
Thursday 26th January 2006, 23:53
couldnt find any listed for mine m8. jus saying best to be sure.

BlackBeast
Friday 27th January 2006, 00:10
Word for word this is what it says for the '97 70 series:-

Manual, volvo synthetic gearbox oil 97308

Auto, volvo synthetic gearbox oil 97337. Oils which meet both Dexron 11 E and ford mercon spec.

mraldonnelly
Friday 27th January 2006, 09:13
Volvo don't specify a viscosity for their gearbox oil although it has been said before that 5w30 is the one to use.

However, I did hear a story of someone who used 5w30 and their gearbox was knackered six months later. Can't remember which forum it was and it could have been coincidental but I'd be very careful.

Yes, £15 a litre is expensive but for the sake of three litres of the stuff are you willing to risk the health of your gearbox? If that goes bang it'll cost a whole lot more than £50!

Regards

Andy