PDA

View Full Version : PAS Pump swap. Easy to replace???

Liddo
Thursday 26th January 2006, 10:59
Ok,

I've got my car back on the road after being off the road for 7 weeks, and the only niggle she's got is a whiney PAS pump.

Q, Are they easy to swap out????

Q, Will an 850 pump fit or are they different???

Cheers

Paul

t5owner
Thursday 26th January 2006, 11:25
Ok,

I've got my car back on the road after being off the road for 7 weeks, and the only niggle she's got is a whiney PAS pump.

Q, Are they easy to swap out????

Q, Will an 850 pump fit or are they different???

Cheers

Paul

££££ me m8 it don`t rain for you it bloody poors

All the best

stuart

Liddo
Thursday 26th January 2006, 11:59
LOL ;)

Its always been whiney, but I've really noticed it since Ive been driving the girlfriends new Fiesta, and then back into mine! Still works fine, just a little annoying!

Cheers anyway

Paul

mraldonnelly
Thursday 26th January 2006, 12:57
Liddo,

Don't know if it's easy to swap. Should imagine an 850 one will fit.

However, I think they're all slightly whiney on Volvo's aren't they? Wait 'til you go to a meet and see what you think of the others there before buying a new one, swapping it and then finding out it's no better.

Regards

Andy

BlackBeast
Thursday 26th January 2006, 13:06
What about flushing the fluid and replacing it with some fresh stuff and making sure the level is correct. Maybe thats all it needs!?!

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 26th January 2006, 13:29
Depends on the model of V70 - ME7 engines are different to 850 ones and so is the layout of the pump. Main key is releasing the tension on the aux belt. I believe the tensioner can be moved by inserting a 1/2 inch driver into the hole? Breaker bar or torque wrench. I know that VT have the mother of all water pliers to do it. Make sure you remember how the belt went on - change the belt if it looks tired. You'll need some ATF or power steering fluid to top up any loses.

BTW the pump will whine if the level is low. You can flush change the whole system if you wish. I did it on GuyT5s V70. It reduced the noise greatly.

BlackBeast
Thursday 26th January 2006, 13:41
BTW the pump will whine if the level is low. You can flush change the whole system if you wish. I did it on GuyT5s V70. It reduced the noise greatly.

How about a how-to on it dave?

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 26th January 2006, 17:23
End of engine (warning very big) (http://www.the-judges.co.uk/judge/ninja/images/Gearbox%206.JPG)

Have a look at the picture you'll see the tensioner... the hole for the socket is huge (3/4"). Best way I found to release it was use a nut large enough to put in sideways. then using molegrips or plumbers wrench you and release the belt...

I've just taken some photos of the pump which I'll host in a minute....

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 26th January 2006, 17:38
How about a how-to on it dave?On the ME7 engine the PAS reservoir is hooked onto the expansion tank for the radiator. On the 850's the same reservoir is next to the pump. I can't remember where the pipes go on the 850.
The principal is the same.
You need to disconnect the return feed pipe at the reservoir end. On the ME7 I was then able to unhook the reservoir and tip out most of the fluid. Not sure if this is easy on the 850s.
Put back the lid of the reservoir
You then need to get a volunteer to work the steering wheel - full lock to full lock -with the engine running (mind your fingers) and capture the fluid as it returns. Once no more fluid comes back (pump will gargle) turn off engine and stop pumping
Take the lid of the reservoir.
you can push more fluid into the reservoir.
Put the lid back on the reservoir
Turn engine on and start pumping (full lock to full lock)

Repeat until you are happy that it is clean - comes back the same colour.

Dont forget to put the lid back on between sessions - else it will splash everywhere!

Once complete attach the return feed line back onto the reservoir. Fill to the proper level and bask in the glory of a job well done.

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 26th January 2006, 18:23
Pic 1 - 850 pump with part number (http://www.the-judges.co.uk/judge/ninja/images/Steering%20Pump3.JPG)

Here you go you can check the part number without un-bolting the pipes

Pic 2 - Pump connections... (http://www.the-judges.co.uk/judge/ninja/images/Steering%20Pump1.JPG)

Pic 3 - general picture of pump (http://www.the-judges.co.uk/judge/ninja/images/Steering%20Pump2.JPG)

The book of the gods....says
slightly edited for speed

1.Remove pump undo pipes and catch as much waste fluid as possible and discard ..
2.Replace pump and re-connect pipes. Top up container to the required level...
3.With the wheels in the air and engine off turn wheel from lock to lock to prime the system (about 9 or 10 times) topping the system when required...
4.Once happy put wheels down and start the engine allow engine to idle...
5. Turn to full lock one way and hold for 10seconds.
6. then Turn to the oppposite lock and again hold for 10 seconds.
7. Stop engine check fluid level and top up if required..
8. REPEAT 4 to 7 (again 9 or 10 times) moving the car forward or backwards each time so you don't wear a flat spot on your tyres....

I've never done it but it seems to be the same process for most cars.. I've just checked a Vauxhall and a Mazda book..( as well as the 850 book

Liddo
Thursday 26th January 2006, 18:50
Cheers Guys, I'll give it a try this weekend :B_thumb:

It's great this forum :remybussi