PDA

View Full Version : Cat removal

galion
Thursday 26th January 2006, 01:43
Ok, I know its illegal in the UK and the States, but here in South America it is not.

My S70R cat has a hole and dealer says I can replace it with a direct flow resonator.

What are the pros and cons in terms of performance, fuel economy and engine longevity

Thanks for your answers

BlackBeast
Thursday 26th January 2006, 02:09
You can replace it with a straight pipe, the same bore as the rest of the system, a word of caution though, you might bring up a 'fault in the engine electronic system' light in the dash, but then again it might not. Just the luck of the draw im afraid. Other option is a race cat but obviously hell of a lot more expensive but it guarantees that the engine light wont come on.

Hope that helps.

stuAWD
Thursday 26th January 2006, 19:33
If its legal loose the cat, b***s the engine light.

GATHY
Thursday 26th January 2006, 19:47
it will def put on the cel light as theres a sensor before and after the cat
so the car knows its doing its bit for the tree hugging greenwellie brigade.

dont know if its true but no cat on a car that should have one eventually causes the valves to melt but like i said could be rubbish told by a mechanic though.

i would go race cat to be safe as no cat no warranty from mr swede :B_steerin

BlackBeast
Thursday 26th January 2006, 20:58
it will def put on the cel light as theres a sensor before and after the cat
so the car knows its doing its bit for the tree hugging greenwellie brigade.

dont know if its true but no cat on a car that should have one eventually causes the valves to melt but like i said could be rubbish told by a mechanic though.

i would go race cat to be safe as no cat no warranty from mr swede :B_steerin

It isnt a 100% definate that it will put a cel light on.

Valves to melt HAHAHHAAHHAAA

LeeT5
Friday 27th January 2006, 00:19
:welcome:

Well as everyone has said the yellow management light will come on so to be safe i would put on something like this. Very good price (not expensive at all)
:
http://www.jetex.co.uk/website/sportscatalysts.php?eng=Turbo+or+Supercharged&hp=191-255bhp&dia=2.5%22

You dont wanna shag yer motor do ya?!?!

madness
Friday 27th January 2006, 08:08
there is a sensor before and after the cat so it will affect the running/performance directly

Has your dealer done it before ? and what happened?

After_Shock
Sunday 29th January 2006, 14:46
Been their and dont do it, if you want to half the performance of your car then go ahead, it will 100% through up the warning light and the engine will go into a limp home mode which gives you about .3 bar of boost, not much fun.