PDA

View Full Version : sludge in dipstick tube ?

wellsy
Tuesday 1st March 2005, 16:59
hi ive just noticed some sludge in my dipstick tube .the oil is clear there is no sludge in the oil filler cap and there is no loss of water.can it be condensation as i am only doing short journeys at the mo .
thanks for any help wellsy.

Bracer
Tuesday 1st March 2005, 17:18
Yeah this is a common thing, not really a big problem as long as its not loads i.e. filling the whole tube but a little is common.

It can be reduced by changing the oil which should be a fully synthetic, I personally recommend Halfords 5w40, which is brilliant and great value if you get it when they have it on offer in one of their many sales :wink:

Steve

Goof
Tuesday 1st March 2005, 18:27
You suprise me Bracer! - Halfords own-brand oil?, are you sure? - I'm not taking the pee, but I wouldn't have thought own-brand would have been as good as a major brand? I normally take your word as gospel, but this time I've had to ask!

wellsy
Tuesday 1st March 2005, 20:06
thanks for the help bracer ,its not a lot just noticable as you pull the dip stick out.
is the halfords stuff really o.k ?
if so a when its next on special i may even treat the wifes punto

thanks again wellsy. :)

fraz13
Tuesday 1st March 2005, 20:09
if so a when its next on special i may even treat the wifes punto

To what? a trip to the crusher? :sinner: :firedevil

Tomcat
Tuesday 1st March 2005, 20:23
To what? a trip to the crusher? :sinner: :firedevil

HA,HA,Ha,Ha etc........ROTFLMAO :worship:

wellsy
Tuesday 1st March 2005, 20:53
if she seen this blasphemy about her little punto she'd take a hammer to my t5 just out of spite. :sinner:

she hates it when i offer it a safe place to sleep the night in the back of my brick :)

Bracer
Wednesday 2nd March 2005, 09:42
Yep guys I've found the Halfords Fully Synthetic 5w40 a Brilliant oil :eek: out performing everything else I've tried, which goes right through most of the premium brand oils at great expense :mad:

As it stands is not that cheep really @ £30 of 5 ltr's but if you get it in their sales its usually "Buy One Get One Free" and that’s fantastic value :thewave:

I change it every 3k but from the look of it when it comes out I have no doubt that it would got twice if not 3 times that without degrading :worship:

Steve

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 2nd March 2005, 09:51
Wow actually someone who agrees with me....Halfords Synthetic everytime, if you time it right I get two for one.....perfect

In my view if you change oil regularly enough a good basic Oil should be all that you need....

Bracer
Wednesday 2nd March 2005, 09:54
Wow actually someone who agrees with me....Halfords Synthetic everytime, if you time it right I get two for one.....perfect

In my view if you change oil regularly enough a good basic Oil should be all that you need....

Just want to add thou, I see that the Halfords oil is now way "Basic" but I get your point JUDGE

Quality in a 5 ltr can :wink:

Tip of the week peeps, you saw it first here :rainfro:

Ivan
Wednesday 2nd March 2005, 19:04
Well bugger. I put Mobile 1 Fully-Synthetic in mine. For what it cost I was expecting one of those dudes in a white jacket and goggles to bring his electron microscope and bunsen-burner round for regular oil analysis, and a rally team on hand to Taxi me to my destination in the event of breakdown.

- not only that but there's still white/yellow sludge around the edge of the dipstick! Double-disaster!

firthman
Wednesday 2nd March 2005, 19:18
soory to ask,but you lot keep saying fully synthetic oil?
i phoned volvo tuning up and spoke to a top bloke,and he said 10-40 semi synthetic oil is the oil you to put in volvo t5s. im confused now :eek:

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 3rd March 2005, 02:51
Don't quote me on this but I'm sure my handbook states fully synthetic, I can't remember what grade though...

When I worked for ELF about 8yrs ago the 10w40 was fully synthetic. My old Collgeg lecturers advice was you can go from semi to full with no problems but when changing from mineral to synthetic should be done in two stages mineral to semi then semi to Full synthetic.

I think that fully synthetic oil is the favoured option with many of us.....
But as Bracer says it doesn't always have to be the best to get great results.

Bracer
Thursday 3rd March 2005, 09:22
soory to ask,but you lot keep saying fully synthetic oil?
i phoned volvo tuning up and spoke to a top bloke,and he said 10-40 semi synthetic oil is the oil you to put in volvo t5s. im confused now :eek:

For the fact that most T5's on the board have been tuned, a 10w40 semi synthetic cant cope with the added stress / heat, and thus the need to move to fully synthetic.

Its not really the engine that needs it but more so the turbo, as a small increase in boost pressure creates lost more heat and requires better protection.

Steve