PDA

View Full Version : 850 Firewall info

mulletboy2
Tuesday 24th January 2006, 15:09
Hiya guys,

LTNS! I've been keeping myself busy as normal ;) Congrats to J and Moppy on the site's progression - awesome work guys :D Dave - ditto on the job mate!

Anyway, need some info on the firewall. Is it a double layer setup (as with most "modern" cars)? If so, is the layer closest to the engine, or closest to the passengers the "main" one, and what kind of space is there between the 2 layers? Is there anywhere I can find this kind of thing out? I checked the book of lies, but nothing particularly useful therein (not that I spotted anyway).

Basically, the doors are going to be an absolute 'mare to install my 8/9" speakers, so I'm looking at other alternatives.. and the firewall is about the only idea I've got at the moment, due to the speakers' properties (they need a large sealed or infinite baffle mounting).

It goes without saying that I don't want to compromise the safety of the car, before anyone points that one out ;)

Any help much appreciated

Cheers

Mark

arbee
Tuesday 24th January 2006, 22:44
how about the much tried, often sworn about method of 'drill a hole to see, hope for the best'...

I fed my power cable through the horizontal part of the 'firewall' under the plastic scuttle trim, at this point it is single skin (or at least - two pressed together) but i havent a clue what its like on the vertical section. Is there any way you can tell from looking at master cylinder fitting instructions in haynes etc?

Redbrick
Tuesday 24th January 2006, 22:55
Do you know there are two 'tubes/ conduits (sp?)' with rubber end caps that you can pass wires through?

My traction control wires come through the one under the steering column.

Does that help?

GuyD5
Wednesday 25th January 2006, 08:09
Hi Mark, perhaps Mark at Salvo could supply the information ... they must have cut up a few in their time ;)

mulletboy2
Wednesday 25th January 2006, 08:20
Cheers guys :)

arbee - drilling a hole and seeing is a little too risky for my tastes, lol. There could be wiring behind whatever I'm drilling through, and I don't relish the idea of fitting a new loom or something :D

Redbrick - unfortunately I'm going to need a hole of atleast 6-7" diameter, so nothing that's there as standard will be much use.

Guy - yeah, that was going to be my next step mate... I barely know Mark though (met him briefly at VT, but doubt he remembers me), and feel a little odd phoning up asking for help on something like this :)

Cheers

Mark

GuyD5
Wednesday 25th January 2006, 08:28
I've only met him once as well, same time as you, but he has been very helpful with sorting out queries about drive shafts and steering pumps ... I'm sure he won't mind telling you whether you can drill your firewall :)

mulletboy2
Wednesday 25th January 2006, 08:41
Fair enough, cheers matey :)

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 25th January 2006, 10:37
You can come and drill as many holes as you like in the C70 carcas.

mulletboy2
Wednesday 25th January 2006, 10:43
lol, cheers Dave :)

I'm not sure how much it would help, being a different model, but if I don't find a definitive answer, it'll certainly put my mind somewhat at ease :) Btw, can you PM your phone number please mate? I lost it when my phone died.

Cheers

Mark

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 25th January 2006, 11:07
Car construction is the same for all 850s and 70 series. Same floor plan. Even the holes in the firewall are the same. You need to get out with us on a Monday evening.

mulletboy2
Wednesday 25th January 2006, 11:24
Ah, exclament mate :D Is the car local? I'll give you a bell in a few..

Cheers

Mark