PDA

View Full Version : Removing knob

mraldonnelly
Tuesday 24th January 2006, 13:08
No, not in the way Pete Burns would like, I mean the gear knob!

I've bought a leather gear know for my V70 to replace the horrible plastic thing that she was fitted with when new. I tried to get a wooden one but it went for £40 on eBay!

Anyhows, does anyone know how I might go about removing the old one in order to refit the new?

Cheers in advance.

Andy

Justin
Tuesday 24th January 2006, 13:16
Horrid job, i spent 2 hours trying to no avail, in the end i used a hacksaw to get the old one off, without damaging and surround.

Al115
Tuesday 24th January 2006, 13:40
Erm, mine just unclipped.

Correction, the one on my car just unclipped. Mine is actually very well attached.

BlackBeast
Tuesday 24th January 2006, 13:59
Removing Knob

Cheers in advance.

Andy

Im sure VikingT5 has just gone through this operation himself, get prepared for the fact that it will change you though, your testosterone levels will be lower and therefore you might do some awful things such as buying a Rover :slap:

:remybussi

mraldonnelly
Tuesday 24th January 2006, 13:59
Horrid job, i spent 2 hours trying to no avail, in the end i used a hacksaw to get the old one off, without damaging and surround.

Cheers Justin, I guess that I won't be needing the old one again anyway so if need be, a hacksaw it is.

mraldonnelly
Tuesday 24th January 2006, 14:02

Correction, the one on my car just unclipped. Mine is actually very well attached.

:hilarious

Cheers Alastair, I'll have a look at the new one asnd see if I can figure out how to unclip it before taking a hacksaw to my knob. I don't mind taking a hacksaw to it anyway as I don't think I'll be needing it again - I've been married three years now!

mraldonnelly
Tuesday 24th January 2006, 14:03
Im sure VikingT5 has just gone through this operation himself, get prepared for the fact that it will change you though, your testosterone levels will be lower and therefore you might do some awful things such as buying a Rover :slap:

:lol:

01c70t5
Tuesday 24th January 2006, 14:24

Rufe
Wednesday 25th January 2006, 22:28
i think these just screw off (allthough obviously will be very tight). how about using a decent oil filter tool to try and loosen it with some leverage?

rickbee
Wednesday 25th January 2006, 22:52
parts dept at local stealer told me they have a snaplock action, and do not screw off. Then he wished me luck removing the old one.

I almost told him to screw off.

Seriously though, if anyone has a method to achieve what should be fairly trivial, can they advise. If using the hacksaw method, in which direction do you attack. I have had a cautious attempt to remove my old one and it feels welded to the gearstick. I can feel a hernia coming on.

Justin
Wednesday 25th January 2006, 23:00
I used a stanley knife and cut away slowly till i hit the hard plastic underneath, then cut away with a hacksaw until i could see the shaft. Took ages, and be careful of the gaitor leather :(

Redbrick
Wednesday 25th January 2006, 23:06
Parts Dept helpful bloke attacked mine with a big set of pliers and basically broke it up to remove it.

The new one just pushed on and snapped into place.

Underneath the leather cover on my beige leather one was a perfectly formed standard black gear knob even embossed with the R and 1 to 5. The posh leather one is just a standard one covered.

Cost a £££££ load for a new one as well :slap:

Justin
Wednesday 25th January 2006, 23:11
£50 ish for mine, original one for the V70R, looks so much better :)

Vikingxl
Thursday 26th January 2006, 21:45

No comment!

BlackBeast
Thursday 26th January 2006, 22:34
No comment!

And you said you couldnt think of a whitty reply :D :D :D

rickbee
Friday 27th January 2006, 22:20
Well...... been trying to remove the old gear knob for over an hour now, what a bloody awful job, but I think I may have it worried now, looks like its been attacked by a large dog! Giving up for tonight, fresh attack at dawn when its not looking :rant:

98BRICK
Friday 27th January 2006, 23:55
iirc...it wasnt that difficult a task.....just under ur knob...where the leather begins...there is a black plastic ring..its covered by leather....its kinda squarish in shape...find two opposing corners and squeeze...then twist it...i dont think it matters in which direction u twist...turn it, i believe a quarter turn, and then yank it down...

to gett he knob of itself....i eblieve i put the car in nuetral...and pressed the button for the gear slection and yank REAL hard...careful not to knock ur knuckles against the roof!!!!

installation is in reverse

mraldonnelly
Saturday 28th January 2006, 08:56
Well, having looked at my new knob, as 98Brick says, this *should* be simple.

At the top of the gaiter, under the leather, is a plastic housing (it's round though, not square). There are two clips opposite each other which you press in and simply lift your knob out.

However, whist these clips can be depressed when there's no leather gaiter in the way, I can't for the life of me press them in enough to remove my old knob!

Playing with my knob all this time has made my fingers sore!

Regards

Andy

rickbee
Saturday 28th January 2006, 14:27
At last, the old knob is off(or whats left of it) Along with several other posters, this was a painstaking task. The gearshift shaft has a keyway, so you cannot apply any twisting force. The only way it can come off easily is the way it went on, but I could not budge it by trying to pull it verically. I also cannot see how you can squeeze in any clips, the collar on the bottom is rigid and does not respond. I gradually removed carefully using a junior hacksaw. No damage anywhere else and the new knob looks fantastic. It should be easier to remove though. Maybe that speaks volumes for all the other engineering on a Volvo :rolling_e