PDA

View Full Version : Lock gurus needed!

pzorb
Monday 23rd January 2006, 21:03
My passenger side lock is being tempramental - sometimes unlocks sometimes doesn't. When it's being difficult, the indoor latch resists motion as well as the outside barrel - but it's completely fine when it's behaving. I was wondering if it could be a dodgy power connection, as when I lock/unlock using the other doors it doesn't even try to work. Does this sound right?

Any advice!? Otherwise I'll have to rip off the door cards if it stays locked! (it's always something with the t5 at the moment...)

JUDGENINJA
Monday 23rd January 2006, 21:09
Have you tried the WD40 thing on all the mechanisms....? probably just a sticking unit some where in the system...

pzorb
Monday 23rd January 2006, 21:22
Have you tried the WD40 thing on all the mechanisms....? probably just a sticking unit some where in the system...

I'll have to have another look at my credit card statement, but I'm pretty sure I'm running a 50/50 split of optimax/wd40 consumption at the moment. God bless that little can. If I spray any more in, the speaker may start leaking!

splatt
Monday 23rd January 2006, 21:31
http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7014&highlight=tailgate

similar thing here..:)

racer
Monday 23rd January 2006, 22:20
Not a great fan of WD40 on lock mechs. I think it's too light and washes all the grease out. Best thing you can to is get the trim panels off and have at it with some moly grease.

Vikingxl
Monday 23rd January 2006, 22:53
Not a great fan of WD40 on lock mechs. I think it's too light and washes all the grease out. Best thing you can to is get the trim panels off and have at it with some moly grease.
Very true and he door panels are really easy to get on and off just make sure you get a few new clips before you start as some nearly always break

pzorb
Tuesday 24th January 2006, 00:17
Very true and he door panels are really easy to get on and off

Can this be done whilst the door is locked to the car body? Do GSF/somewhere cheap do clips?

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 24th January 2006, 00:20
I have loads of spare clips and fasteners.

pzorb
Tuesday 24th January 2006, 00:54
I have loads of spare clips and fasteners.

:remybussi if you could keep a few back (probably about double the number the car normally has lol) then butterfingers/patience-of-a-child-on-christmas-morning here can find them a good home! :rainfro:

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 24th January 2006, 00:56
Just let me know and I'll stick 'em in an envelope.

pzorb
Tuesday 24th January 2006, 22:31
Right I got the trim off pretty easily. Took maybe half an hour, of which the vast majority was trying to get the torx bit to connect with the screws (remember you can't see what you're doing when the door's still locked to the body).

If anyone does need to do this:
1) pull the fabric/leather insert out of the recess, being careful not to break the holding poppers
2) unscrew and remove the speaker
3) unscrew the three or four on the bottom edge of the door (the one closest the seat is a b*stard)
4) push up and wiggle the trim
5) do step 4 over and over until you consider setting the car on fire and claiming on the insurance
6) this should have angled the last screw at the hinge end enough to be undone, so unscrew it
7) lift the trim off
(the dealer wanted to cut off the trim and charge me for it because removing it while the door was shut was 'impossible')

My problem was the lock was stuck in deadlocked mode (and *not* jammed; deadlocked stops the mechanism working as opposed to pulling it out the way, so I can't see how one can differentiate between the two - both will have strong physical resistance to any opening action, either by key or release), so I unplugged the wiring and plugged back in, each time at various stages of the car being locked manually, by the fob, by the key etc until it unlocked (took an hour). Then i unlocked the car fully all round, pulled the battery and plugged it back in (to reset any locking states) and all is well.

For now!

splatt
Tuesday 24th January 2006, 23:07
Nice to have an update to the problem....:)

Vikingxl
Wednesday 25th January 2006, 02:46
Congratulations mate im glad it went well did any of the clips break?

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 25th January 2006, 10:33
I have spare central locking motors if you need them?

pzorb
Wednesday 25th January 2006, 20:49
Cheers again Wobbly. I'm watching them for the next week to see if it needs replacing, whilst also avoiding putting all that trim back on :slap: