PDA

View Full Version : AWD - how to tell

T5Rdragon
Sunday 22nd January 2006, 19:25
Hi all! Not been around for a while, as work has been MANIC!

Anyway, am back now and will spend some time this evening catching up a bit :)

Here's a question, which hopefully isn't as stupid as it may first seem! - I am possibly going to sell my 850 T5-R and go for a V70 T5 instead (lots of reasons) - but say I found somewhere who sells a lot of cars and may not know the Volvos as much, say he has a number of V70 T5s in of various ages and various mileages - how can I easilly tell whether any of them are AWD? Is there something in the VIN? Is there anything printed anywhere inside that might suggest it? Is there something under the bonnet (like a AWD ECU) which is easilly identifyable?)

Obviously I want to go see this "yard" and see if I can bag an AWD T5 that he doesn't know about, for cheap money :)

Thanks

GW

Andrew
Sunday 22nd January 2006, 20:00
Well usually they have AWD on the back. Sure the VIN would tell you just not personally sure how at the mo... I'll do some digging around.

When i was looking at V70s I was told to avoid the P1 AWD - do a search .... wobbly and some of the others said they really act up should the tyre depths on the wheels be a few mm difference. They are also prone to break and are expensive when they do. The P2 AWD is a completly different system and is well tried and tested.

Ac.

T5Rdragon
Sunday 22nd January 2006, 20:08
I wondered if they all say "AWD", but need other ways to tell, as they may have been debadged etc, since most will have been resprayed.

Mrsmopp
Sunday 22nd January 2006, 20:24
Hiya!

Welcome back - the V70R AWD has a twin exhaust IIRC. Let us know what his "yard" is like - he could be a useful contact ;)

x

The Flying Banana
Sunday 22nd January 2006, 20:28
I wondered if they all say "AWD", but need other ways to tell, as they may have been debadged etc, since most will have been resprayed.
Look at the back of it, exhaust exits on the right hand side with left side of the bumper have a blank in place ..or if modded an exhaust on each side

Andrew
Sunday 22nd January 2006, 20:30
Ah yes that is true - although not a sure way of telling - mine has been modified to have the double exahust and is deffinatly FWD.

Adam of VT will be able to tell you the VIN plate info to look for as he mentioned it to me a while back. Unfortunatly I can't find the info - so feel free to drop him a PM.

Ac.

Redbrick
Sunday 22nd January 2006, 21:31
Look underneath for the drive shaft to the rear wheels... :slap:

BlackBeast
Sunday 22nd January 2006, 21:55
LOL

Wobbly Dave
Monday 23rd January 2006, 01:11
Thats what I would have said. A Prop shaft is a bit of a give away as is the differential

madness
Monday 23rd January 2006, 10:17
in front of the person selling it, put on a slope, boot it and see how many wheels light up!

aka jezza clarkson and the porsche

t5owner
Monday 23rd January 2006, 12:06

Yep that`ll certainly give it away

Nice to see your back gaz

Although everybody is missing the point here as i don`t think you can get an AWD T5 you can get AWD "R" s and standard AWD 70`s as well as the XC70 which is AWD but i`ve never actually come across an AWD T5 they might be out there but i for one have never seen one

Cheers

stuart

PS gaz pm me details of this "yard" if you find it as i`m also looking for a V70