PDA

View Full Version : Monroe Reflex/Lowering springs?

galion
Friday 20th January 2006, 17:54
Hi,
Please need opinions here.

Following certain recommendations in this forum and as I stated in an earlier post, I installed a set of Monroe Reflex in my 1998 S70R and I really dont like the way they react with my "R" original springs.

I can feel the struts bump stops hitting VERY hard, and I mean VERY HARD, whenever I run over an uneven surface or small pothole. It seems to me that R springs and Reflex are a way too "Soft" combination to control the short suspension travel; One or the other is not stiff enough to handle the big suspension BANG!!!
By the way, strut mounts, spring seats and bump stops are new as well as sway bar bushings.

Is this a common problem with a lowered Chassis?, Should I replace the springs with eibachs? (VT?) , go back with the original dampers wich were shorter and very expensive by the way, or just live with the problem as yall doing?

Please help, thanks

Engineer
Friday 20th January 2006, 18:13
Hi,
Please need opinions here.

Following certain recommendations in this forum and as I stated in an earlier post, I installed a set of Monroe Reflex in my 1998 S70R and I really dont like the way they react with my "R" original springs.

I can feel the struts bump stops hitting VERY hard, and I mean VERY HARD, whenever I run over an uneven surface or small pothole. It seems to me that R springs and Reflex are a way too "Soft" combination to control the short suspension travel; One or the other is not stiff enough to handle the big suspension BANG!!!
By the way, strut mounts, spring seats and bump stops are new as well as sway bar bushings.

Is this a common problem with a lowered Chassis?, Should I replace the springs with eibachs? (VT?) , go back with the original dampers wich were shorter and very expensive by the way, or just live with the problem as yall doing?

Please help, thanksAre the new bump stops the same length as the original R type?

galion
Friday 20th January 2006, 20:08
Thanks for answering

Actually they are aftermarket bump stops, shorter than originals and made of hard rubber.
Originals were longer and made of a foam type material.

My guess is that shorter bump stops increase the struts damping travel, so this would no be a problem, am I right?

Struts are not supposed to work all the way till they hit the bump stops due to short travel of the strut. again, am I right?

Do you guys with shorter springs (originals or aftermarkets) and konis, Bilsteins, Reflex or what ever conventional lenght stiffer struts experience continous bump stops to struts knock, due to short suspension travel???

If not, maybe my OE springs are toast, and I should buy a good set of aftermarkets, and if you do, I should buy a set of conventional springs no matter my S70R will increase its riding height.

Any inputs will be highly appreciated

Thanks

LL