PDA

View Full Version : Oil Loss

RGM200
Friday 20th January 2006, 15:32
My car has started drinking oil, and from other posts I have read on this site it seems plausible that as the car is up to 116,000 miles it is probably something to do with the Turbo?

Is there an easy way to check this, are there any specific pipes worth checking, obviously the Turbo will be worn as its the original on the car, but it doesn't seem to blow huge clouds of smoke when I pull away?

I am a reasonable mechanic, this is the first turbo I have had the pleasure of owning and working on, so if any of you can point me in the right direction I would be grateful.

Rob

Mrsmopp
Friday 20th January 2006, 15:35
Most common problem is the oil return seal - not too costly either

x

mraldonnelly
Friday 20th January 2006, 15:52
As MrsM says, the oil return pipe is the most common cause of leaks.

What sort of oil loss are we talking about? How long does she take to drink half a litre?

It the turbo is worn then it's plausible that oil is being sucked into the air compressor side of the turbo (I can't recall the technical terms). The oil with then be burnt in the combustion chamber and emitted as smoke from the exhaust.

Although this may be happening it may not be possible to see the smoke all the time. The most noticeable time will be when the car has been idling for a while, say a couple of minutes or more, and then driven off. You should notice more smoke then. It may also be more pronounced if the car has been standing at an angle, say with one side up a kerb (although I can't remember which side would affect it the most).

If it is indeed down to a worn turbo then it's best to get it replaced sooner rather than later otherwise your cat may be damaged and you'll have to replace that too.

Regards

Andy

t5owner
Friday 20th January 2006, 15:58
Most common problem is the oil return seal - not too costly either

x

I was gonna say that as well look under car at the rear of sump area if you can get your car up on ramps it will be easier you should see the oil where it has run down the back of the block from the turbo return pipe if theres a lot of oil then it`ll be the seal most probs (although it can start as just a trickle as it gets forced out under pressure when turbo is boosting but not when under normal driving)

Other one to look out for is the rear crank shaft oil seal this will contaminate the clutch / flywheel assy if its leaking and you`ll see some oil on the block but only on the lower portion

as others ask how much oil is it drinking

Cheers

stuart

t5tart
Friday 20th January 2006, 16:15
I had exactly the same
was drinking 2 lts of oil over 5-600 miles
turned out to be the turbo return pipe after someone told me it was the sump gasket (seeing as it doesnt have a gasket on the sump this would be a bit hard)

local independant did it £100 in the oil I supplied the seal and paper gasket
was told it was the turbo cause of the blue smoke from the exhaust this turned out to be the pcv
done 400 odd miles since having the yurbo return seals done not a drop of oil gone so far touch wood

MattB
Saturday 21st January 2006, 17:15
was told it was the turbo cause of the blue smoke from the exhaust this turned out to be the pcv

Whats the 'pcv'? :hidesbehi

t5tart
Saturday 21st January 2006, 17:21
its the crank case breaather system

take a look here lots of info
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php?showtopic=29075&st=0

Vikingxl
Saturday 21st January 2006, 19:06
Might have to take a look at mine i think!

BlackBeast
Saturday 21st January 2006, 19:14
I think i will be replacing mine with a catch can :)