PDA

View Full Version : V70R buying checklist

Somerset Jim
Friday 20th January 2006, 15:03
I might be having a look at an early V70R, 2WD auto this weekend.

Sorry to be lazy and not trawl through the forums, but can you give me a quick checklist of things to look for apart from the usual history/condition checks.

Where are the problem areas?
How do I tell if it is a genuine R?
How do I check the auto fluid?
etc....

If I end up buying it then there's a beer for eveyone who helps me in the purchase!

Andy
Friday 20th January 2006, 15:43
Just as a starting point make sure the car has R wheels (comets = 5 spoke) an R front bumper which is basically a lip on the bottom of the bumper. Check the reg with any Volvo dealer and they will confirm whether the car is a genuine R.

Problem areas are rear oil seal leaks, check to see if there is excessive amounts of oil at the rear of the engine.

Check all boost hoses are in tact and appear uncracked.

The R interior is normally half leather with alcantara trim and aluminium inserts in the dash and around radio.

Should have both front electric seats along with heated front & rear seats.

There will be loads more, but people will help out soon im sure.

Regards

siamblue
Friday 20th January 2006, 16:14
If you have a jack get her up in the air and check wishbone bushes these cars eat them, you will feel the movement when you grab the front wheels move it up and down at all angles, check drop links too as Andy stated, look sat the shocks to see if they are leaking, check tyres for uneven tread pattern,
Also if car is bog standard then that is a bonus, as it won't have been played with, ask about when exhaust has been changed because if it hasn't it probably will be in the next year or so, ask about servicing frequency of oil and filter changes this is important, some people don't change the oil untill every 10k a lot of us 5-7k some of us 3k,

Gary

Somerset Jim
Friday 20th January 2006, 16:23
Many thanks chaps. Seller wants to hang on for a short time which gives me more time to plan.

I may ask for a buying buddy some time soon in Lincs area.

Wobbly, I feel bad about advertising this thread. I secretly worship you. :worship:

swordy21
Friday 20th January 2006, 16:41
Hi - Auto dipstick is located on the RHS front of the engine, underneath the air intake to the airbox. A short stubby yellow thing. They can be a bit stiff so I take the pipe off.

Best to check the levels when warm (more accurate), the dipstick has 2 scales hot on one side cold on the other (the hot one is the wider scale). Take it for a drive first, changes should be smooth and not clunky, If driving steadily you should feel the torque converter lock up about halfway through a gear, feels like a mini gearchange. When engaging reverse they sometimes clunk if you try too quickly, I usually wait a second or so.

Then on a level surface foot on brake, and move the lever through all positions resting a second or so in each one then back to park (you could do this a couple of times). Turn engine off Then check the fluid levels. SHould be higher than the bottom mark but no higher than top on the hot side.

Check colour and smell, should be a bright red colour (hold dipstick up to the light and look through the drip), if it is a brown or black colour with a smell like burnt toast walk away.... You could always take some fresh fluid with you as a reference.

Check if ATF has been changed frequently. It is not normally a service requirement, so frequent changes could be indicative of a problem. Some people reccommend changes every 30 to 40K. I don't think mine has been changed at all and is still running well at 146K

t5owner
Friday 20th January 2006, 17:08
Many thanks chaps. Seller wants to hang on for a short time which gives me more time to plan.

I may ask for a buying buddy some time soon in Lincs area.

Wobbly, I feel bad about advertising this thread. I secretly worship you. :worship:

I`ll be happy to come along as well if you need a few minds to think and look things over

Cheers

stuart