PDA

View Full Version : Tell me its not the head gasket, PLEASE!!

pyrotechnictigger
Thursday 19th January 2006, 21:18
Have to admit I got a little blase (spelling?) about checking the oil. Having had fiats for years, got used to doing it almost every day. Trouble is, T5 never uses any! So, today, remembered to check and its down to min level, but not checked for weeks! Whats scared the s**t out of me is the browny sludge on the top of the dip stick shaft. Serious warning bells sounded and I unscrewed the oil filler. Absolutely clean underneath. Have had many head gaskets go and have fixed many. BUT never seen one that doesnt leave deposits under oil filler. It did take 1/2 liter of water to bring it up to max though. Just done 50 miles today and the the temp needle didnt move. Checked at lunch (done 25 miles) and no water loss or residue on the dip stick.

Can anything be blocked thats causing this? If its the gasket and I have caught it early, can it be done without the head being machined? Have done gaskets before, but never on anything as complicated! Dont fancy fking it up, much harder to put right than a Tipo

Cheers folks,

Ian

Goof
Thursday 19th January 2006, 21:24
Sounds like it's completely buggered mate.

You're best off selling it really cheap - we have someone here who likes T5s loads, and gets them at the right price! ;)

Suggest you get a Tipo! ;)

Only kidding - keep your eye on all the fluids for a couple of weeks (AND keep them topped up), see how it goes! Fingers crossed.
Was there any sludge under the oil filler cap? ~ that's usually a good place to look for water/oil signs.

T5R+
Thursday 19th January 2006, 22:29
Ian

First time it happened to me - same panic, concern, dread, worried head-off syndrome, however, after 3 years, still happens every winter time, even today, but come the summer, all is normal. Hope yours is not a "genuine" issue.

PS no one has been able to explain this phenomena to me, perhaps it is T5 specific!

dicky b t5
Thursday 19th January 2006, 22:30
I used to get this on my 850, Mechanic friend of mine said its just abit of condensation, and nothing to worry about...! Think it happens more if you do lots of short journeys. Mine never used any fluids at all....
Could be this.

Justin
Thursday 19th January 2006, 22:31
All of my 850's did it, dont worry till its round the cams ;)

boombang
Thursday 19th January 2006, 22:59
Bloody Volvo owners :p

Us Peugeot lot are used to having to clean out the mayo from the oil filler pipe just to top it up!

Do Volvo's blow oil out the dipstick too?

pyrotechnictigger
Thursday 19th January 2006, 23:30
Ian

First time it happened to me - same panic, concern, dread, worried head-off syndrome, however, after 3 years, still happens every winter time, even today, but come the summer, all is normal. Hope yours is not a "genuine" issue.

PS no one has been able to explain this phenomena to me, perhaps it is T5 specific!

Oh I love you! :remybussi

Vikingxl
Thursday 19th January 2006, 23:45
Good luck mate hope its nothing serious

Justin
Friday 20th January 2006, 08:27
Bloody Volvo owners :p

Us Peugeot lot are used to having to clean out the mayo from the oil filler pipe just to top it up!

Do Volvo's blow oil out the dipstick too?
LOL, yes they do now and then :(

t5owner
Friday 20th January 2006, 12:10
Must be a volvo thing as it does the same on the wifes 440 although it likes to hide in the breather pipe from the air injection unit to the carbon canister aswell takes an age to clean out but car runs like a dream afterwards

Cheers

stuart

t5tart
Friday 20th January 2006, 13:18
my first thought would be the pcv being blocked

esp if its blowing oil up the dipstick

easy tip i learned off another forum
take it for a run warm it up pull the dipstich see if it blows smoke out the dipstick tube...if it does its probably the pcv

MattB
Friday 20th January 2006, 13:33
my first thought would be the pcv being blocked

esp if its blowing oil up the dipstick

easy tip i learned off another forum
take it for a run warm it up pull the dipstich see if it blows smoke out the dipstick tube...if it does its probably the pcv

pcv??? :hidesbehi