PDA

View Full Version : Tracs and ABS Light Help please

K1ngy
Thursday 19th January 2006, 11:55
Hi All, Good to be back. Been working in Rome until just before xmas so just had a chance to catch up with things.

Soon before i went i replaced my front disks and pads and a calliper that was sticking. Ive only done about 1,000 miles and now my tracs light and ABS light come on a couple of times during a normal journey but then go off. I get a buzz through my brake pedal and I can hear a kinda buzzzzzzy clicky noise from outside the car. Obviously relating to my traction or ABS but its feels more like the ABS through the pedal and not the grating feel you get from TRACS. if that makes sense.

I have the motor booked in next week for a full service but could anyone kinda pin point or relate to this issue. I wondered if its related to my changing the pads, disks or calliper before i went awayor maybe a faulty sensor. When the lights are off everything is as normal until i get this noise then the lights appear again for a short period. There again, this didn't really start until a couple of months after i had replaced the items.. Well, so ther missus says.

Thanks in advance

fraz13
Thursday 19th January 2006, 11:58
Sounds like a wheel sensor for the ABS mate

oh and welcome back lol

K1ngy
Thursday 19th January 2006, 12:07
Cheers Fraz and just checked you pics out. V Nice but whats the metal grill type object between your two front seats?

fraz13
Thursday 19th January 2006, 12:14
Thanx man ;)

Its to keep the animals in the back, or in the front, which ever suits ;) :D

Its coz av got a dog man, if he's ever in the car a dont want him in the front lol

K1ngy
Thursday 19th January 2006, 12:41
Hahaha didnt want to insult you incase you didn't allow pets in the car. i got stick for putting a tow bar on mine let alone admit i let dogs on the interior. Its a major crime to some in here mate. Your sure to get stick from some boyo who thinks everone's car should be a shrine and not just to get them from A - B.

Wouldn't mind the R inthe grill. Where can I get one and what cost?

Cheers

fraz13
Thursday 19th January 2006, 13:05
Dealer part mate, £7 if a remember correct lol

A love ma car but av got a dog and he needs transported about now and then, av got a leather seat cover for when he's in. We all do stuff to cars that not everyone agrees with but its mine and al do what a want with it haha Towbar is nxt ;)

K1ngy
Wednesday 25th January 2006, 09:49
Can anyone elaborate on this. I dropped the car in to the mechanic this morning and he thinks its more likely to be the ABS control unit rather than a wheel sensor as replacing one wheel sensor may lead to relacing another until you've replaced the lot and then still having to replace the ABS control unitl. He said they are about £300 not inc fitting but he will find out more once the car is connected to the fault reader (VADIS?).

Is this the case or am i in the process of paying for more than i need repaired. I trust this guy as he's always done me well but just think i need some further opinions before shelling out £300+ and then having to replace the wheel sensors or something else as well.

Like i said in my previous note. i feel the brakes go soft at times but not totally fail and also a whirring noise lasting a couple of seconds coming from frot nearside of the car. THe tracs and ABS light illuminate for a short while then go off again. THis may happen a few times in one journey. but i only get the whirring noise now and again when driving. Cannot feel anything through my brake pedal when the noise occurs.

Thanks again in advance for your opinions peeps.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 25th January 2006, 10:22
I repaired a unit for you before didnt I?

fraz13
Wednesday 25th January 2006, 10:25
A think this is a job for the Wobbly one lol a wee bit cheaper than £300 if its not that ;)

K1ngy
Wednesday 25th January 2006, 16:33
Nope, sorry Wobbly, not moi!

Also, replaced my drivers seat belt today and now the SRS light is illuminated, even though the battery was disconnected when replaced. Does this need reset on a handheld or is there more to it that that?

Thanks

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 25th January 2006, 16:40
Well in that case get in touch if you want me to fix it?

http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=224 (click)

K1ngy
Wednesday 25th January 2006, 17:20
Dave, Just mailed you in case i need it repaired. The mechanic had to take it to MILL VOlvo who said VADIS does not read my 98 S70 R for some reason and said it has to be read on his hand held which he cannot do until next Friday. My mechanic hasn't got his replacement yet. Volvo would not supply him so hes having to get it through another company. Not that i know anything about htis type of mechanicall jargon.

Is this the case. Do Volvo's VADIS not read 98 S70'R's

Cheers

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 25th January 2006, 17:26
I have never encountered a 1990s Volvo that Vadis couldnt read. Depends what they are using. VT use the proper VCT2000 black box connector.

K1ngy
Thursday 26th January 2006, 09:21
Dave, thanks for the info. Have it booked in next Friday for the error read and clearing the SRS light since the seatbelt has been replaced. Also had a creak from the front of the motor so replaced drop link and all sorted now.

Also, just found out after picking the car up that Volvo would not supply the garage with a reader that the dealers use as they are not an official Volvo Dealer. they are awaiting the install of the same peice of kit from a company via another route. Let's see what the outcome is next week and if i need to send the unit down for repair or not.

Thanks very much for the help on this. Much appreciated!!!!!

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 26th January 2006, 10:12
You're most welcome.