PDA

View Full Version : Rear wheel locked

Mrsmopp
Thursday 19th January 2006, 11:20
Typical 850!! :slap:

Our white T5 has been sat for over a week with the handbrake on and to show her disgust she has now locked on one rear wheel.

Winnie used to do the same thing but I always used brute force and ignorance to free her up - this one aint budging!!

Any ideas how to free my T5 LOL?

x

fraz13
Thursday 19th January 2006, 11:26
Drive it round the block, it will free

Mrsmopp
Thursday 19th January 2006, 11:27
We considered that but didn't think the neighbours or council would be too impressed with us digging up the road in a T5!!

x

Andrew
Thursday 19th January 2006, 11:28
Drive it round the block, it will free

Yup the v70 was the same after 2 weeks - it was a bugger to shift - it's just applying more and more power till she does budge.

No damage should be done.

Murphy
Thursday 19th January 2006, 11:36
You people need a heated garage - never had a problem with my old car [although i never used the handbrake - lol]

I agree, drive it around the block, it is easier than the alternative !

The Flying Banana
Thursday 19th January 2006, 12:25

Our white T5 has been sat for over a week with the handbrake on and to show her disgust she has now locked on one rear wheel.

Winnie used to do the same thing but I always used brute force and ignorance to free her up - this one aint budging!!

x

Reverse the car and the stuck brake will free, it has been dampness and the lining has stuck, as you reverse the car it will rise and the upward force is greater than downward force of driving forward. if really keen take wheel off and hid the face of the hub a couple of times before you do it

Mrsmopp
Thursday 19th January 2006, 12:35
We did the whole rocking back and forward thing the other night (yes I am talking about the car you smutty lot!) And managed to free it up so we can go in reverse...Just not forwards lol!

x

Babybadger
Thursday 19th January 2006, 12:48

x

Bang that wheel with a soft mallet or get a bit of wood up against the alloy and tap with sledge hammer.....it worked on my old opel monza that had been sitting for 6 years!

Al115
Thursday 19th January 2006, 12:58
Mine did this (sort of) and the only way I could get it to run was to take the bl**dy brake discs off... hope it's a simpler fix for yours though.

S60D5
Thursday 19th January 2006, 16:57
Our T5 estate did this - just drove about 10 metres before she stopped dragging her rear wheel and everything was a ok!

t5tart
Thursday 19th January 2006, 17:02
had this on my 2.0 20v when she sat for a couple of weeks in the summer....

remove rear wheel and give the hubs a good beating with a hammer

should free off the rust in the internal hand brake mechanism and spring the shoes back a bit

gazjacko
Thursday 19th January 2006, 19:57
You may find there's an anoying vibration through the pedal (Not the steering wheel) when braking for a while as the area that's been in contact with the pad has sort of swollen with corrosion. As there's not much pressure going through the rears this will take a time to wear off.

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 19th January 2006, 23:53
Is it definately the Wheel and not the Gearbox...?
My car sounded/felt like a hub lock but then with a big bang a hole was made in the housing.... :slap: ....just a warning....

Mrsmopp
Friday 20th January 2006, 08:43
My car sounded/felt like a hub lock but then with a big bang a hole was made in the housing.... :slap: ....just a warning....

Thats so not what I want to hear LOL

x

pyrotechnictigger
Friday 20th January 2006, 10:24
My ex bosses lotus esprit used to get this. I haver a picture somewhere of me towing it round the yard in my UNO! Always freed after 1-20 meters :tank:

Wobbly Dave
Friday 20th January 2006, 10:43
I think you'll need to take the wheel off and tap all the way round with a hammer on the drum part of the disk. That should shake any bits free. Dont forget the C70 still has the handbrake shoes on (brand new in August) - should you need to replace your.

The Flying Banana
Friday 20th January 2006, 10:57

Cant be the gearbox...handbrake is on the rear wheel ( unless its a SAAB )

t5owner
Friday 20th January 2006, 11:13

Or a citroen

britten_mark
Friday 20th January 2006, 11:23
If the wheel is moving rearwards but not forwards is there a chance the lining has come off the shoe and is jamming?? Whatever the eventuality in this case I would be getting pipped off if this was happening regularly, easily enough to take the discs off and skim them inside and out.

.....it worked on my old opel monza that had been sitting for 6 years!
Great cars, had 3 GSEs. Qualified as the best car I have ever owned, UNTIL I got my T5 of course! :) Sorry, off topic.....

pyrotechnictigger
Friday 20th January 2006, 11:36
Or a citroen

I remember the day I first tried to handbrake turn my Xantia :jaw:

JUDGENINJA
Friday 20th January 2006, 22:08

Moppy never mentioned that the front wheels moved freely (e.g. - the car would wheel spin but still not go anywhere..) when my gearbox finally gave up the ghost... it would however go backwards....figure that one out...???

Moppy can you wheel spin the car...?

Wobbly, get over there and strip donw the drums.. one of the shoes may have disintergrated and jammed the hub.... mine had but they didn't lock the hub....

The Flying Banana
Friday 20th January 2006, 22:11
I remember the day I first tried to handbrake turn my Xantia :jaw:

Done the same in a saab and sh*t myself!!!!

Mrsmopp
Friday 20th January 2006, 23:22
Moppy never mentioned that the front wheels moved freely (e.g. - the car would wheel spin but still not go anywhere..) when my gearbox finally gave up the ghost... it would however go backwards....figure that one out...???

Moppy can you wheel spin the car...?

Wobbly, get over there and strip donw the drums.. one of the shoes may have disintergrated and jammed the hub.... mine had but they didn't lock the hub....

Yeah the front wheels were spinning like a bi-atch!! I'll have a go with a hammer at the weekend!! LOL

x

JUDGENINJA
Friday 20th January 2006, 23:38
Glad to hear it's not a gearbox problem...!!!!

Mrsmopp
Friday 20th January 2006, 23:39
Glad to hear it's not a gearbox problem...!!!!

PHEW!!

x

Wobbly Dave
Monday 23rd January 2006, 00:37
Do you still need a hand?

LeeT5
Monday 23rd January 2006, 02:00
Yeah the front wheels were spinning like a bi-atch!! I'll have a go with a hammer at the weekend!! LOL

x

:slap: Dont hit anything with a hammer - unless you like marked alloys, wood or not!!

As an AA patrol i see this problem regularly. As Britten_mark says the lining of the shoe has probably come away from the shoe itself. :pants: i know but an easy fix.

There is something you can try first b4 stipping down. (the wheel i meant :remybussi ). Chock the front wheels, lay on the floor and grab the handbrake cable....give it a good tug and a wiggle. See if the wheel moves. If not try again with the wheel jacked off the deck. Try tapping with a nylon faced hammer (not Metal) the back of the drum and try to turn wheel at same time. If this does not work then you have no choice but to strip..............the brakes.

Goodluck!!

Ps come on Moppy, what does a girl need an excuse for a new pair of shoes??

Vikingxl
Monday 23rd January 2006, 07:42
Well Moppy is it fixed yet?

Mrsmopp
Monday 23rd January 2006, 08:37
Not had a chance to do anything with it yet, but at least I know what I am going to do with it now lol (invloves a ruddy great hammer and a little aggression!)

x

siamblue
Monday 23rd January 2006, 09:41
Not had a chance to do anything with it yet, but at least I know what I am going to do with it now lol (invloves a ruddy great hammer and a little aggression!)

x

So is Steve doing it :anmflower only kidding ya :)

Mrsmopp
Monday 23rd January 2006, 10:52
LMSO - I can do hitting things with a hammer - its the more technical stuff I get stuck on......Like changing bulbs..........

x

Babybadger
Monday 23rd January 2006, 13:31
LMSO - I can do hitting things with a hammer - its the more technical stuff I get stuck on......Like changing bulbs..........

x

There are two types of tool set you should have in a car....... 1) A proper tool box with torque wrench and full socket set pliers etc...... 2) A manky screwdriver, some adjustable shifters a hammer and .... you guessed it .....a bigger hammer!

Which one do you think I have?