PDA

View Full Version : koni versus munro which is best

heyes
Wednesday 18th January 2006, 20:40
Looking to upgrade my classic v70 t5. Have always used konis on my saab aero's but have read munro reflex is the one of choice for a lot of you guys. Also which springs are best.

Al115
Wednesday 18th January 2006, 22:38
I personally am a Koni fan but I know others swear by the Monroes!

Springs - Eibach seem to be the most favoured, but then they're also among the most expensive...

Vikingxl
Thursday 19th January 2006, 05:00
I think its about 50/50 on here mate I think its just down to personal choice in the end and as Al115 says Eibach seem to be the spring choice.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 19th January 2006, 15:03
I have only had Eibachs & Monroes - and I think that they are fab. Konis tend to be a bit harsher but if you prefer a firmer ride go for them. Sadly I dont have them any more to show you what the ride is like.

Babybadger
Thursday 19th January 2006, 15:31
I have only had Eibachs & Monroes - and I think that they are fab. Konis tend to be a bit harsher but if you prefer a firmer ride go for them. Sadly I dont have them any more to show you what the ride is like.

Dave , what are you running now? Did you have the nivomats before and if so were they better for avoiding the front end going light under heavy acceleration?

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 19th January 2006, 15:48
I had rather knackered Nivomats on the rear of the 850R. I have no idea about the front end going light. I only ever lost the back end once on the 850 and a couple of times on the C70. All but the last time I had sufficient talent to get the car back.

mraldonnelly
Thursday 19th January 2006, 15:49
Dave , what are you running now? Did you have the nivomats before and if so were they better for avoiding the front end going light under heavy acceleration?

You not seen the post as to why there's no wobbly C70 anymore?

He's running an astra at the moment but has plans for bigger and better things.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 19th January 2006, 16:18
Possibly of the haldex variety with an R on the front

Simon
Thursday 19th January 2006, 17:24
Koni FSD's are the way to go. You get comfort in a straight line and handling around the twisty bits.

hamish
Thursday 19th January 2006, 18:08
Koni FSD's are the way to go. You get comfort in a straight line and handling around the twisty bits.
Koni's FSD's function in exactly the same way as the Monroe Reflex. The Koni is a bit stiffer than the Monroe at a 'given' point. I personnally find the Eibach and Monroe to be the best set up for the road and occassional track use.

Monroe + Std T5 Springs.. ...best for road use
Monroe + Eibach.....Good for road (bit hard on Motorway) good on track
Koni FSD + Eibach ... Too hard for decent traction on road + effects comfort.
Bilstein + H&R springs....Far too hard for Road, ace on track.

So their you have it all tried and tested on our T5, £1 for the 1st person to guess which I have refitted to my car !

Regards,
Hamish.

Vikingxl
Thursday 19th January 2006, 18:28
So their you have it all tried and tested on our T5, £1 for the 1st person to guess which I have refitted to my car !

Regards,
Hamish.
Monroe + Eibach at a guess Hamish

BlackBeast
Thursday 19th January 2006, 18:33
Beat me to it :)

Simon
Friday 20th January 2006, 14:25
If you are comparing Koni FSD's with Eibach Springs to the standard set up then I don't understand what you mean by effecting comfort? They are much better than standard.

Babybadger
Thursday 26th January 2006, 16:59
If you are comparing Koni FSD's with Eibach Springs to the standard set up then I don't understand what you mean by effecting comfort? They are much better than standard.

Well after finding out the rear shocks have gone on mine (bushes elongated and spongy as well) I think I will go for the Monroes and keep standard srpings until I can be arsed to change to Eibachs and do Topmounts. Never had the white beast on a track so I don't think I need them yet. It does roll in the corners , so I will get a strut brace, and change the anti roll bar droplink bushes.

Question, as there is a rear axle are these bushes difficult to change and do 850 estates have rear anti roll bars? Mine gives me grief from the back end (although the strut brace will tighten the front end), but that maybe the shagged shocks.

......Hamish where is vikings £1?

Babybadger
Sunday 29th January 2006, 00:44
I had rather knackered Nivomats on the rear of the 850R. I have no idea about the front end going light. I only ever lost the back end once on the 850 and a couple of times on the C70. All but the last time I had sufficient talent to get the car back.

I think the front end going light is down to shagged rear shocks (bushes mainly ) and torque steer ......