PDA

View Full Version : Brake Fluid Quantity

swordy21
Tuesday 17th January 2006, 16:58
Right - ABS pump is comming off this saturday just so I can get the ABS ECU off, (just ask Wobbly). I'm also going to replace my sticky front caliper with a Salvo one, hopefully not seized. Does anyone know how much brake fluid I'll need to completely flush out the system to replace all the fluid that'll be spilt on my drive?

Cheers

Jon

fireclown
Tuesday 17th January 2006, 17:57
hi about 0.6 litres is says on my autodata.

mraldonnelly
Tuesday 17th January 2006, 19:02
Aye, but you'll need extra for flushing through.

2 litres, maybe an extra one just in case - you don't want to be half way through the job only to find out you've run out of fluid :slap: .

All depends on how thorough you wanna be.

Regards

Andy

Engineer
Tuesday 17th January 2006, 19:54
Regardless the amount of brake fluid, use a power bleeder or you might bugger your M/C.

swordy21
Wednesday 18th January 2006, 09:03
Regardless the amount of brake fluid, use a power bleeder or you might bugger your M/C.

Thanks guys, but sorry for being thick, what's an M/C?

mraldonnelly
Wednesday 18th January 2006, 10:34
Master Cylinder.

I've always used the Gunsons power bleeder which uses pressure from the spare to bleed the system.

Regards

Andy

mraldonnelly
Wednesday 18th January 2006, 10:48
Oh, and bleed the clutch at the same time. They're on the same hydraulic system.

Regards

Andy

swordy21
Wednesday 18th January 2006, 13:21
Thanks all. I'll do this. But being an Auto, I guess the clutch is a different issue.

Cheers

Jon

RGM200
Wednesday 18th January 2006, 14:11
Jon, flushed through the brake system on my auto two weeks ago, used just under two litres with an easy bleed system, noticed no difference really but at least now i know its done!!

By the way out of interest why did you replace your MAF screen?

swordy21
Wednesday 18th January 2006, 22:06
By the way out of interest why did you replace your MAF screen?

Didn't really make a difference in performance or economy that I noticed, then the car developed a misfire under power and I thought it may have to do with turbulent airflow over the MAF sensor, so as I was fettling other things put it back in. Missfire turned out to be leaky boost gauge hose connection and shot plugs.

Cheers

Jon