PDA

View Full Version : Suspension / Wheel Clearance

MattB
Sunday 15th January 2006, 16:29
Whilst parked in a carpark today, I appeared to have more clearance above the wheels on the nearside of the car. I guessed that the carpark may have been on a slight incline, so I checked again at home - sure enough the clearance is more on the nearside.

I trust this isn't normal?
What could possibly be the cause? I would assume that shocks etc would wear both fronts together and rears respectively and so on with other suspension parts? The rear tyres match, as do the front?

This has gotten me totally confused - can anyone help?

mraldonnelly
Sunday 15th January 2006, 17:46
My old 854 used to be like this too - I always thought it was my drive until I saw on flat ground (the drive did accentuate it though.

As for suspension wearing evenly on the front and reaf, perhaps not. It would sort of make sense that the nearside suspension wears faster then the offside because the nearside wheels will be more susceptible to bumps, especially if the car has been driven on country roads a lot.

Just a thought, and by no means proven. I just figured this was why I needed to replace the nearside steering rack end recently - because my car lived the first five years and 90,000 miles of it's life being driven on country roads en route to the motorway.

Regards

Andy

MattB
Sunday 15th January 2006, 18:10
Thanks for you reply Andy.
Have just re-checked and its infact the nearside that has more clearance and not the offside as I had stated above before editing just now!! :slap: Sorry - I think the overall confusion had me more confused than I first thought lol!

I have also checked that there is no 'load' being carried in the car that would influence the different clearance from one side to the other. This is true, with the exception of the sub woofer, which incidently sits on the nearside!, so it is not down to that.

Perhaps it is simply a trate of 854's??

mraldonnelly
Sunday 15th January 2006, 20:18
Maybe you've just been taking too many left hand bends too fast and the suspension has decided to stay in the "left hand bend too fast" position.

LOL.

Other than that I've no ideas.

Regards

Andy

MattB
Monday 16th January 2006, 15:56
Maybe you've just been taking too many left hand bends too fast and the suspension has decided to stay in the "left hand bend too fast" position.

LOL.

Other than that I've no ideas.

Regards

Andy

Cheers Andy, I guess that circling a couple of roundabouts at high speed would possibly cure it then?? LOL.

Seriously tho, I have re-checked the clearance at several other locations and it is still the same. This has really got me puzzled - any ideas people?

Mrsmopp
Monday 16th January 2006, 15:59
Not the foggiest! If you stand dead on in front of it does it look squewiff?

x

MattB
Monday 16th January 2006, 16:01
Not the foggiest! If you stand dead on in front of it does it look squewiff?

x
Don't know about the front, but it does from the rear!

Mrsmopp
Monday 16th January 2006, 16:05
Hmmmm I'll have a look at my 2 later on and see if they have the same problem.....

x

MattB
Monday 16th January 2006, 16:20
Hmmmm I'll have a look at my 2 later on and see if they have the same problem.....

x
Thanks Moppy!

t5tart
Monday 16th January 2006, 16:23
silly theory
but could it be the differential in weight between the gearbox side of the engine and the other side ?

where are you taking your measurements from the top of the wheel to the arch or ground clearance on the cill ??

Vikingxl
Monday 16th January 2006, 16:23
I've noticed it a few times on my V70 but it always seems to level out in the end

GATHY
Monday 16th January 2006, 19:02
empty your washer bottle youll be suprised how much waters in it :slap:

you could have a weakened spring which is more than likely to be the case.

MattB
Monday 16th January 2006, 20:54
empty your washer bottle youll be suprised how much waters in it :slap: LOL!!!

you could have a weakened spring which is more than likely to be the case. Now that makes sense - Cheers mate!

LeeT5
Sunday 5th February 2006, 00:01
Are you fat? :uglyhamme .........causing the suspension to list over time.

Only joking!! :nutkick:

Does the car pull to one side? If not then all must be well. if one side was higher then it would pull.

t5tart
Sunday 5th February 2006, 00:12
Are you fat? :uglyhamme .........causing the suspension to list over time.

Only joking!! :nutkick:

Does the car pull to one side? If not then all must be well. if one side was higher then it would pull.

would make sense as there is typically q0 st more om the drivers sie
21st if u take me into account