PDA

View Full Version : Boost gauge fitted s40 T4

mavv
Sunday 15th January 2006, 01:40
Just finished fitting my boost gauge last night..

When car was on rollers on the printout looked like it held at 1bar across the rev range. I believe 1 bar to equal 14.5 psi this right?

On full chat and watching boost gauge now seems to only get upto 13psi which is 1.5 psi down?..

Engine / Turbo / boost is standard.

What is the standard figures for the boost etc in the S40 T4 (1999 phase 1)

Cheers guys...

Will post a pic when i'm home, at work the now :)

Ross9
Sunday 15th January 2006, 03:12
13psi is the standard boost level for a T4,so if your standard and showing 13psi, all is as should be.

Ross

mavv
Monday 16th January 2006, 02:58
cheers mate much appreciated :)

LeeVTi
Saturday 21st January 2006, 14:22
13psi sounds right, mine can sometimes peak at 14 but that could just be an inaccurate gauge, 13's right though

mavv
Sunday 22nd January 2006, 23:29
cool, cheers

the guage, going to get a pillar pod instead of the one i have at moment..

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/carimages/3631/newest_007.jpg

Enigma666
Tuesday 24th January 2006, 14:00
Mavv,

You got any pics of where the boost guage fits on the engine side?
Have got one for myself but am a little unsure of which pipe it connects to.

Cheers

madness
Tuesday 24th January 2006, 14:24
any vacuum pipe going to the inlet manifold will do.

the two going to the throttle housing area are ideal.
thread pipe carefully through the large rubber gromet with the wiring harness.
lh side of bulkhead

Enigma666
Tuesday 24th January 2006, 19:47
Cheers Madness,

Will give it a go tomorrow :D

mavv
Wednesday 25th January 2006, 19:00
I used the fuel regulator pipe at front of engine, the one he garage showed me to use....

I can get pics if you still want them mate....let me know in here..

Enigma666
Wednesday 25th January 2006, 19:03
If u could please mate that would be really good...still gotta decide where to mount the damn thing too :S

Got a pillar mount but as usual the fit is awful...

mavv
Thursday 26th January 2006, 01:16
i got that pod for a tenner and stuck it there, but thinking about getting a a pillar pod too...

I will try and remember tomorrow and get a few pics....

remond me if i forget :lol:

LeeVTi
Thursday 26th January 2006, 13:11
i brought a universal single gauge pillar pod at a show for a tenna and had to cut it but if ya take ya time then ya can get a decent fit, that doesnt look to bad, but not as good a specifically built pod, still looks ok though

Ross9
Thursday 26th January 2006, 13:24
Don't fit it on the pillar.

T4's have pillar airbags, if you have a bump and the airbag goes off.....thats a solid guage and pod that will come flying at your head which is not desirable.

Not sure if the earlier ones have these or not but Jacq's phase 2 does, thats why we never fitted the guage in the pillar on hers.

Ross

mavv
Saturday 28th January 2006, 16:30
cheers Ross, will check that out....

Not took pics yet mate sorry, will get onto it on monday, on 12rs at work now...

Might just move the pod down the screen a bit but then vac pipe is getting bent and kinked...

LeeVTi
Saturday 28th January 2006, 19:24
Don't fit it on the pillar.

T4's have pillar airbags, if you have a bump and the airbag goes off.....thats a solid guage and pod that will come flying at your head which is not desirable.

Not sure if the earlier ones have these or not but Jacq's phase 2 does, thats why we never fitted the guage in the pillar on hers.

Ross

my phase 1 hasnt got pillar air bags, i know this cuz i took the pillar cover off to mount the pod to ensure a nice secure fit, the pillar cover was just secured with what i would call panel clips (not sure if thats the correct terminology), so ya should be fine to fit to an early phase 1

volvolised
Sunday 29th January 2006, 00:36
Mattb nas done a nice job with his boost guage and set it into the right hand air vent that you can see in your pic next to the steering wheel dont know how hard this was maybe give him a shout,

mavv
Tuesday 31st January 2006, 07:30
i did think about that vent but decided against it, too nmuch work :lol:

I'll check the pillar air bag thing out then...If not then i'll get a pillar pod :)

cheers again guys...

MattB
Tuesday 31st January 2006, 12:01
Mattb nas done a nice job with his boost guage and set it into the right hand air vent that you can see in your pic next to the steering wheel dont know how hard this was maybe give him a shout,
Click on link below.....

Boost Gauge Pics and Thread (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3965&highlight=stealth+boost+gauge)

fairly easy to set up - handy to have a spare vent grill to play around with tho - just incase you break it and/or want to restore the air vent at a later date.

This was my main reason for not fitting a pillar pod - TBH I am still contemplating fitting a pillar pod - just not sure what will be left should I need to remove it, ie screw holes etc.

Being a 'light up' type gauge (tech term!)., it can be a little awkward to read in that position - which may be even more tricky to read if the driver is tall, due to the angle of the gauge.

I am happy with it for now - until the weather changes again! :troutslap

mavv
Tuesday 31st January 2006, 17:34
looks good there....see what you mean about sometimes being hard to read....I'm not that tall though :lol:

looks fitted and out the way sort of thing, think i prefer it at eye level though TBH..

MattB
Tuesday 31st January 2006, 21:45
looks good there....see what you mean about sometimes being hard to read....I'm not that tall though :lol:Me neither!!!

looks fitted and out the way sort of thing, think i prefer it at eye level though TBH.. I'm kinda thinking along this line too - so may end up moving it soon...

mavv
Wednesday 1st February 2006, 00:32
does look neat and tody though but think i would get annoyed looking down all the time...

Going to get the pillar pod if no airbags in pillar, ones on Parts for volvos for £20 i think..

Enigma666
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 13:25
Any news on the pics yet Mavv pls?

madness
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 18:21
i'm happy with my pillar mount

mavv
Thursday 9th February 2006, 01:05
sorry mate forgot al about them, really busy at work and selling/buying house etc..

off from thursday to sunday so will deffo get some this weekend and post them up...

mavv
Sunday 12th February 2006, 18:36
££££e mate, i forgot pics again :(

Been cleaning out house and dump runs etc...moving house soon etc etc..

Next time i will be able to is wednesday, i will try and remember, so much on my mind etc etc...it's like a siv..:(

Enigma666
Sunday 12th February 2006, 22:24
lol
there's no rush mate at all.
enjoy the move :D