PDA

View Full Version : try this set up

alan
Saturday 14th January 2006, 18:24
just fitted new brakes. i got black diamond groved and drilled disc along with ebc red stuff ceramic pads, i have only got 280mm brakes but they are amazing. no fade after thrashing the life out of them. cost me £233inc vat and postage.

Regards

Alan

siamblue
Saturday 14th January 2006, 18:40
Hi Alan I am glad you have found a good set up, I have heard the Red stuff ceramic are far better than the old red stuff,

All the best Gary

aeroresh
Saturday 14th January 2006, 20:11
I had serious issues when I fitted the same combo to my old C70. Fine when warmed up but just plain dangerous when cold :troutslap

Would never fit EBC stuff again!

Andrew
Saturday 14th January 2006, 21:31
I think when it comes to these things it all comes down to personal preference.
No point in arguing about these things because some people will think there the dogs and others think they will be the ££££££ ....

Best to do your own research, weigh up the pros and the cons and experiment based on your budget.

Andrew.

S70T5Chris
Sunday 15th January 2006, 14:49
just fitted new brakes. i got black diamond groved and drilled disc along with ebc red stuff ceramic pads, i have only got 280mm brakes but they are amazing. no fade after thrashing the life out of them. cost me £233inc vat and postage.

Regards

Alan

Hi mate
where did you get yours discs and pads from?

gazjacko
Sunday 15th January 2006, 17:37
Got to say that for the extra effort you should go for the 302mm discs whatever disc/pad setup you choose.
There's some excellent threads in the forums on the subject where you'll get 10 contributions and 10 different answers! but the common theme rates the bigger discs over the 280mm ones.
what's your location? perhaps there's someone who'll give you a 'try before you buy'

pdtrewern
Sunday 15th January 2006, 18:14
From EBC Website.....

EBC REDSTUFF CERAMIC

High Performance Road M3, Evo, Impreza etc.
Generally recommended for cars producing over 200BHP and / or 4WD

Since this material was introduced in late 2003, it has received many positive write ups from performance drivers of faster cars such as the Impreza. This is a truly impressive fast road pad for repeated heavy braking. It emits far less dust than semi-metallic pads and has been proven to stop a saloon car 13 metres quicker than OEM pads from 100mph/160kph.

Features EBC Brake-In TM surface coating which conditions rotor surface and accelerates pad bed-in.

Average friction coefficient 0.5

Less dust is appealing too!!

alan
Sunday 15th January 2006, 21:58
i got them off the internet, i live in nothern ireland so doubt to many people will get the use of me. i didnt go for 302s as the disc contact is still really the same. i got them from www.performancecentre.co.uk. the dust seems to be low and there is no fade at all, i was on my local country roads giving it some stick and the brakes were amazing

Alan

siamblue
Sunday 15th January 2006, 23:20
I had serious issues when I fitted the same combo to my old C70. Fine when warmed up but just plain dangerous when cold :troutslap

Would never fit EBC stuff again!

Aero that made me chuckle, the guy that was presenting the live show on Thursday at the NEC came out in a Nascar thing and nearly stuffed it, saying the brakes were crap lol, the silly presenter didn't realise that race brakes only work when hot lol,

S70T5Chris
Monday 16th January 2006, 17:08
I fancy getting some drilled and grooved discs myself.

I just made some enquiries with www.proven-products.co.uk and they quoted this:

Presuming it's on the 302mm dia. vented fronts & 295mm non vented rears:

Black Diamond drilled & grooved discs
Fronts £164.00 pair
Rears £128.00 pair

Diamond Predator Pads
Fronts £47.00 set
Rears £25.50 set

EBC Turbo Groove Discs:
Fronts £139.00 pair
Rears £ 95.00 pair

Redstuff ceramic fronts £52.00 set
Redstuff ceramic rears £31.00 set

Prices include vat

I thought that all sounded pretty reasonable.

What are peoples experiences with the EBC Turbo groove discs?? From what Alan is saying the BD discs and redstuff pads sound very good. However I do remember when I went to VT last, Hamish said he wasn't over impressed with EBC brakes at all.

I'm definately gonna go for one of those conbinations, just wondered what you guys thought would be best.

Cheers.

volvotuning
Monday 16th January 2006, 17:13
Hamish nearly wrote off my old 850R when it had EBC pads in them. They didn't work from cold, and after a few weeks they glazed and that was the point when they became dangerous.

But see how you get on. Maybe yours will be ok.

Adam.

aeroresh
Monday 16th January 2006, 19:11
I believe they've changed the compound since then but I'm still not convinced. :slap: I'm glad it wasn't just me though!

alan
Tuesday 17th January 2006, 20:12
when cold the brakes are just only slightly worse than my standard brakes and really dont take long to warm, when they do heat up they are excelent, this is only my opinion but i am well chuffed

Alan