PDA

View Full Version : 850 flametrap

Goof
Saturday 26th February 2005, 14:18
Paid a visit to my local Volvo dealer yesterday to order a few bits, including an oil filler cap seal.
Got chatting to the nice man, and he asked why I wanted one. I explained about the known seal problem that can allow an oil leak.
He suggested that I check whether the flametrap was blocked, and said that Volvo now recommend the complete removal of flametrap as it tends to block the breather pipe, thus causing the oil seal to leak (it's the weak point under pressure). This was confirmed by one of the mechanics.

Now, the only problem I have is to spot where the bl**dy thing is located! - Think I need some diagrams/pics! (I've Googled, but only mention is from non-turbo engine).

Any help appreciated.
Ta.

Justin
Saturday 26th February 2005, 14:45
Flame trap would be the spark plug cover wouldnt it ?

And the oil pipe is the rubber one that goes into it just to the left of the filler cap.

Volvo have never mentioned this to me when i have been to get filler cap seals tho :(

Goof
Saturday 26th February 2005, 14:50
From what I've found out the flametrap seems to be a type of in-line filter in a breather pipe. Probably the size of a cotton reel/bobbin.
It's either metal or plastic, but does get blocked - it was a service item, but apparently more aggro than it was worth - Volvo now just remove them.

Justin
Saturday 26th February 2005, 15:35
Ahh i see, so where is it then ?

wellsy
Saturday 26th February 2005, 17:53
hi i dont think the t5 has a flame trap. it has a oil seporator which is all part of the crankcase breather system the oil seporator is located under the inlet manifold which looks like you have to remove to get to it .mine needs to be done as it is all blocked up i was quoted about £27 for a new oil seporator tank and a couple of quid for the breather pipes which also get blocked and go brittle and break over time.
i have seen this system also called the pcv on some other sites and looks to cause all sorts of probs if it becomes blocked .

http://www.volvospeed.com/Repair/ftrap.htm
i found this on bay 13 regarding flame traps but it says this system was used on non turbo cars.
hope this make some sense .
cheers wellsy

Goof
Saturday 26th February 2005, 18:20
Hmm, I've found similar info that turbo doesn't have flametrap.
Ah well, I'll get dealer to remove it at next service! ;)