PDA

View Full Version : Ditching the cat

thomo2cav
Friday 13th January 2006, 05:30
G'day all.
I'm soon to put a 2 1/2' cat back system on my S70 T5, to go with the TME chip upgrade.
My question is has anyone out there ditched their cat.
I'm thinking of putting a straight through piece of pipe in there, so it's still there..but not. Retain it's shell to keep the police happy.
I thought that the car had a pollution sensor after the cat as well as before, which would have stuffed the computer around, but it dont.

The cat is a large blockage in the system, specilly once the freeier flowing exshaust goes on.

mraldonnelly
Friday 13th January 2006, 09:15
Mornin' mate,

Your car will surely fail its MoT. Or are you planning on re-connecting the cat before she goes in for her MoT and then disconnecting it again after?

To be honest, I (personally) wouldn't risk bypassing it for fear of knackering something up (like a sensor or something). What about getting a 3" downpipe and sports cat to go with your new system. That way you get some of the benefits of no cat without the risk of being done for bypassing it.

Regards

Andy

thomo2cav
Friday 13th January 2006, 10:55
Cheers Al, I've thought about a 3' down pipe and race cat, but it's very pricey.
Too much for me.
Down here in OZ we dont get gas tested as standard for our MOT so as long as it still looks all there, all's pretty well.
I jacked the car right up today (was doing horn relocate as well) to get right under to check things out...and i think something funny is going on under there.
I've got 2 sensors alright, but their about 4' apart and both before the cat?
I rang the dealer here and they confirmed for me that there should be one before and one after....so buggered if i know.
And i dont have an engine check light up either. And i know it works cause it came on yesterday after i blew my intake hose off my throttle body under hard acceleration.
I'm going to ring the dealer tommorow and get part numbers for the sensors and see what i've got in there.
Weird.

LeeT5
Saturday 14th January 2006, 22:40
Why not give these a ring!!!

http://www.jetex.co.uk/website/sportscatalysts.php?eng=Turbo+or+Supercharged&hp=191-255bhp&dia=2.5%22

Keeps the M.O.T happy, police and YOU. :)