PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Airbag Cost?

mulletboy2
Wednesday 11th January 2006, 10:24
Hiya guys,

Can anyone tell me what the cost is to get Volvo to replace a steering wheel airbag? No, I haven't had an accident... but I'm thinking of a modification which I'll want to test for safety by blowing the bag myself, and then getting it replaced.

I'm aware that it'll cause a lot of mess too (will cover everything up beforehand). Is there anything else I need to consider?

Cheers

Mark

mraldonnelly
Wednesday 11th January 2006, 10:51
Rather than blow your original airbag, why not give Salvo a call and see what they charge for a salavaged one? Then stick that in, blow that, and then fit your original one back again.

Suspect you may need to get the SRS ECU reset though so I'd determine costs for that too before doing anything.

Sounds damn cool whatever it is your doing. How you planning on blowing the bag?

Regards

Andy

mulletboy2
Wednesday 11th January 2006, 11:11
Very good suggestion on the Salvo front mate, I hadn't thought of that :D Was anticipating needing an ECU/error reset of some kind (assume that can't be much more than £30-£50 or so?)

I've just bought a new headunit/processor which comes with the mother of all remotes... It's HUGE. I think it's about the same size as a Nokia N-gage phone. Would look great in the centre of the steering wheel. I don't want to dismantle the remote atall (cost hundreds to replace), and they're rarer than rocking horse poo.. but I just want to be sure that however I attach the remote to the wheel it's going to be secure, and the remote isn't going to go flying in the case of an accident.

I also want to make sure that the additional weight on the airbag cover doesn't cause any problems. Best way to do that would be a controlled blow. It'll also help if I can show (in audio competition, and whenever anyone asks me online) that the airbag pops correctly (might even set up a camera to take photos of the blow at sensible intervals, if it's possible with equipment I can get access to). Will make for a pretty cool write-up online too :D

As for blowing the airbag - you just connect the wires up to a battery (so I've been told).

Cheers :)

Mark

mulletboy2
Wednesday 11th January 2006, 11:13
Ah.. my friend's just told me that I won't need an ECU reset. The airbag light will only come on if the ignition's on, and the ECU senses there's no airbag present.. so simply turn the ignition off before moving the one airbag, then don't turn it back on until after the controlled blow, and replacement of the original. It never sees there's a problem :)

mraldonnelly
Wednesday 11th January 2006, 11:33
Fair enough. I've just thought though, I recall someone needing a NEW SRS ECU once when they set their airbag off in a slow shunt into a wall. I can't remember who or when or why I recall this but I would just make absoultely sure first.

I suspect that mounting a remote could affect the operation of the bag, even if mounted above or below the "exit path" of the bag.

Worth a try though.

You'd need a freakin' fast camera to take pics. How about a digital camcorder to film it, firewire the film onto PC and use the digital film to take snapshots?

A web write up would be cool.

Regards

Andy

mulletboy2
Wednesday 11th January 2006, 11:44
Cheers again Andy. I'll do some more research on the matter. Just spoke to Salvo and they only want £25+Vat for the airbag though, so that's not too expensive for me to take a chance on this approach. I need to measure up and check the remote will even fit first... but will keep you posted :)

Camcorder - another good suggestion :D

Cheers

Mark

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 11th January 2006, 12:59
I have to come and see this!! (for matters of Volvo Science of course)

mulletboy2
Wednesday 11th January 2006, 13:13
No worries Wobbly. I'll give you a shout if/when it's going ahead mate. I expect there'll be a fair few people from here and talkaudio who want to see :D