PDA

View Full Version : Fuel comsumption question

blackcurrantGLT
Saturday 26th February 2005, 09:33
Hi Peeps,
I'm a newbie to this site - so please forgive me if I sound like a nob!
I just bought a 1996 854 2.5 20v GLT auto . All is well with my new purchase ( £1200 - with full service history with Speeds at Nottingham !!)
I do have a slight suspiction that she's using a tad to much fuel . The computer is telling me that my cumlative consumption is 17.8 mpg. Is this normal ? All the reviews I've read say the car should do around 25mpg - or is this a fairytale ? I know that the plugs ,rotor arm and dizzzy cap need to be changed along with the air filter. Can i do anything else to get better mpg . Any Idea's or advice would be Fab !!

Tell me what you think of my new motor !
115,000 miles , leather , all electrics work , very clean body work- all for only £1200 - I still can't believe it !!

Best regards .......Andy

Justin
Saturday 26th February 2005, 10:08
:welcome:

Very nice indeed :)

Mrsmopp
Saturday 26th February 2005, 10:37
Lovely looking car!!! Looks in really good nic!

x

jp850R
Saturday 26th February 2005, 14:47
If i remember rightly the first thing i was told when i joined here was do a =http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=274&highlight=stage+tune]stage 0 tune up ,courtesy of bracer.

Other than that if u r using a relly cheap fuel it wont help much if u search optimax on this site have a read thru, im no expert but i hope this helps :)

lance
Saturday 26th February 2005, 16:39
If you are based around Notts can recomend David Pengelly , Henry Road ,Lenton .
He will be able to plug your car into the diagnostics and fault find , fix any problems and being a volvo independent his costs are very very reasnoble compared to speeds!

blackcurrantGLT
Saturday 26th February 2005, 17:21
Thanx Lance ,
I'm up in Sunderland . Anyone up here know how to fettle a Volvo ?

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 27th February 2005, 05:55
:welcome:

I tinker rather than fettle - but the result is the same :wink:

blackcurrantGLT
Tuesday 1st March 2005, 10:20
YEEE - HAAAAA !!
You guys were right !! I carried out the stage 0 tune up ( more a service than a tune up ) and my fuel consumption has gone up ! Rotor arm was shot - Dizzy cap needed morphine to survive - spark plugs were single electrode type ( with volvo printed on the side !!?? ) so I replaced them with NGK bvwyurhe3883663067huj or whatever !! Hadn't planned on the HT leads being so knacked . So had to walk - YES WALK !! - to the Volvo dealer for a new set - and @ £52 including FAT TAX - wasn't a bad purchase at all .
As well as oil change and all the other stuff - RESULT !!

Now showing 28.8 MPG and it seems that the VOLVO meister in the sky has blessed me with a few extra ponies to go under the bonnet . Its so smooth under acceleration and goes much much quicker !!
Thanx again for all of your advice - I AM NOT WORTHY !! :worship:

CHEERS AGAIN - ANDY - SUNDERLAND

Bracer
Tuesday 1st March 2005, 10:37
As I said on the other thread :wink:

P.S. she looks a smasher mate :worship:

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 2nd March 2005, 01:08
Dare say the plugs were shot, but Volvo OEM plugs do have the marque on the side. I am very happy that you got it all straightened out. I am sure also that the performance will have been enhanced.

Guess that is the beauty of these engines - is that they are designed to put up with people who don't care and don't look after 'em very well - AND STILL KEEP GOING!

Giles
Tuesday 8th March 2005, 13:47
Dare say the plugs were shot, but Volvo OEM plugs do have the marque on the side. I am very happy that you got it all straightened out. I am sure also that the performance will have been enhanced.

Guess that is the beauty of these engines - is that they are designed to put up with people who don't care and don't look after 'em very well - AND STILL KEEP GOING!

rather a silly one I'm afraid, but when you buy plugs from whoever, are the gaps correct or do they need fiddling with?

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 8th March 2005, 14:00
There is no harm in checking them with a feeler gauge before putting them in. NGK BKR7EVX should be 0.8mm and should be correct from the box - so careful you don't drop them.

siamblue
Tuesday 8th March 2005, 17:03
If your car is standard then 28 thou .7mm is good enough,
But i am running 32 thou .8mm,I know some person that is running 25 thou :eek:

blackcurrantGLT
Tuesday 8th March 2005, 20:16
SIAMBLUE - I just fitted the 'VOLVO' plugs with the multi prong - The man at Volvo says that the gaps are pre-set and that no adjustment is needed - unless they have been dropped . He also said that these plugs are actually manufactured by NGK and at £16 a set for EUROCARPARTS seem to be a bargain. I also have found that staff at main dealers tend to talk out of their Chuffers ! LOL

ANDY :wink: