PDA

View Full Version : Radio Hu 803

MacXC60T5
Monday 9th January 2006, 14:37
In my 2001 V70T5 I have HU 603. Have a chance of getting a HU 803 which has dolby surround sound etc will the HU803 replace the HU603 without two many problems. The only down side is that the HU603 has a cassett unit where I can plug my MP3 Sony player into, If I change I will loose that facility. I know there is an IPOD pod interface but some of us don,nt get on with Mac,s but prefer Sony, its a battery thing. Any help would be appreciated regarding the radio and cd player.

akky
Thursday 13th July 2006, 10:22
I was looking to do this as well. In the manual it does talk about the prologic stuff, it maybe that the speakers are different as well .Maybe someone has an answer

Steve

Jeff Cooper
Thursday 13th July 2006, 11:06
Watch out for the fact that an 803 uses a separate amplifier for the main speakers - only the dolby pro-logic centre speaker can be driven direct.

T5ER
Thursday 13th July 2006, 11:32
I think there is also a problem with illumination to if you swap head units we had one in work a few weeks back were a guy had bought a 2nd hand head unit fitted it himself and had no illumination,it needed software to make it light up but to no avail as the car had allready been programmed for his original headunit and could not be changed for another model of headunit.But i may be wrong

akky
Thursday 13th July 2006, 15:31
so it sounds like it would be an expensive visit to a main dealer then.

Steve

kimbaleeg
Saturday 15th July 2006, 02:35
I think there is also a problem with illumination to if you swap head units we had one in work a few weeks back were a guy had bought a 2nd hand head unit fitted it himself and had no illumination,it needed software to make it light up but to no avail as the car had allready been programmed for his original headunit and could not be changed for another model of headunit.But i may be wrong
your right mate new hu radios r not changerable if you dont have dolby u proberbley wont have amp or speakers either but they require software downloads from stealer. i enquired about it when i had s80 not worth the money

T-5ones
Saturday 15th July 2006, 23:14
I can confirm as i asked main dealers if i needed a code for the p2 radio if i unplugged it, to service it (cds had been jammed and now the feed does not work)

They said each car is programmed to that individual radio. If it is unplugged and put back in it will be fine but if a radio from different cara is plugged in it will not work properly/at all. This can be corrected with software form the dealers- i didnt even ask how much!

Redbrick
Thursday 17th August 2006, 17:23
I can confirm as i asked main dealers if i needed a code for the p2 radio if i unplugged it, to service it (cds had been jammed and now the feed does not work)

They said each car is programmed to that individual radio. If it is unplugged and put back in it will be fine but if a radio from different cara is plugged in it will not work properly/at all. This can be corrected with software form the dealers- i didnt even ask how much!

Just dragging up this old thread to add my experience-

My HU803 started ejecting Euros with CD's and then failed soon after I bought it- it appeared the previous owners kids were using it as a slot machine.
We removed the unit from my car, pulled another 803 from another car on sale, plugged it in and worked straight away- no codes needed or anything. When my unit returned from being fixed we plugged it in and off it went, no codes, no nothing.

So it appears you can swop an 803 with another 803 with no programming required.

T-5ones
Friday 18th August 2006, 10:54
Thank you for the info. Thats why this forum works so well- unlike the information that some of us receive from the stealers. (I know some folk have very good volvo agents and not all are bad but the ones at the top of the M6 provide very, very poor on customer service, IMO):icon_soap