PDA

View Full Version : fuel filter advice

pzorb
Friday 6th January 2006, 19:33
How does one go about changing it?

Will be trying this weekend but haven't a clue!

pault5
Friday 6th January 2006, 19:41
This can be a pain inthe bum to change.
The problem i had is with the so called quick release unions that connect to each end of the filter.
There is a special tool set to disconnect the unions, but i used a combination of a suitably sized spanner and a lot of pushing and pulling to release the connectors. I think the Haynes manuel tells you how to do it.
If you bugger the unions/connectors you will need a new fuel line!
Paul.

Jod T5
Friday 6th January 2006, 19:49
How does one go about changing it?

Will be trying this weekend but haven't a clue!
the fuel filter is under the rear of the car just forward of the tank.
you may need to raise the car usung axle stands lol ...a jack will do
using a ....17mil? spanner push back the coupling sleeves (watch out may be some leakage so put the fag out). wrap a rag round pipe end nearest to tank as will leak.... take off mounting strap disposing of filter and quickly repace with new filter noting that arrows on new filter point to engine....do up strap and couplings and hey presto....always check for leaks as petrol is expensive lol. a ££££ty smelly job and i wish you every happiness with it...ps a fuel filter should last 50000 miles or 5 years i belive do you have any problems which lead you to think it may be this..?

mraldonnelly
Friday 6th January 2006, 22:22
As Jod says, use a spanner to undo the couplings.

I found the couplings the easiest part of the job - doing up the strap on the new filter took me four times as long as the rest of the job. In the end I had to dig out a longer bolt.

Job would've taken fifteen minutes if it wasn't for that damn retaining strap.

Regards

Andy

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 7th January 2006, 00:21
It's not as daunting as it looks... just get under the car..you'll figure it out...
It's a piece of P*ss in comparison to some jobs you may do on a car..

nikgallagher
Tuesday 10th January 2006, 12:57
Did you have a go at this last weekend? If not, another couple of tips from someone who did it wrong:

Don't bung the fuel lines with wooden dowels - they will swell up and become very stuck. I had to drop the fuel tank to fit a new fuel line after experiencing this first hand. There's not much fuel in the upstream line so if I was doing it again I'd just leave it. It's so easy to damage the inside of the quick release coupling, so best not to mess.

Other thing is to bleed the air out of the upstream pipe via the thing that looks like a tyre valve about 6 inches up from the filter.

t5 stealth
Tuesday 10th January 2006, 18:47
also wear some eye protection cos when you release the connectors the fuel will still be under pressure & it will spray out for a couple of seconds,
its like peeling an orange,,,you always get juice spray in your eye

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 10th January 2006, 19:29
I have some proper tools to disconnect the unions. Can come and help if needed?

Engineer
Tuesday 10th January 2006, 19:43
I have some proper tools to disconnect the unions. Can come and help if needed?Proper Engineer (excuse the pun).........................

Tiff_T5
Tuesday 10th January 2006, 20:25
Run the engine,then pull the fuel pump fuse until it dies to release pressure,makes the job a wee bit nicer (not much though)

pzorb
Thursday 12th January 2006, 01:59
Cheers for the offer Wobbly, the fuel filter was wrong so went back to the shop got another one and haven't had the time. Probably going to leave it until it actually needs doing - thought it was causing a misfire but it was a dodgy cable instead!

I was looking forward to it lol (surely a bit odd)!

t5tart
Thursday 12th January 2006, 02:03
what interval should the filter be chnged
or is it a thig of when it plays up ??

mraldonnelly
Thursday 12th January 2006, 08:10
I *think* it's every 50,000 miles but I can't be certain.

Regards

Andy

nikgallagher
Thursday 12th January 2006, 13:45
Every 70k according to the service schedule.